• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: gamerman57

gamerman57
1 month ago#111
I don't even know where to go from here with these grottoes. Do I categorize them by boss or by type? Do I keep all with an Ethereal/Soma quick load or only the best ones? Too damn many lol

Also, is it theoretically possible to get a "worse" grotto than Granite Tunnel of Woe Lv1?

User Info: regirafariger

regirafariger
1 month ago#112
Well, yeah, a L1 grotto that is four floors, all of which are long and meandering, in a terrible location, with only one chest each in B3 and B4, both rank 1, neither quickloads anything good.
Blue Lou Diamond Diamond Almonds Phillips.

gamerman57
1 month ago#113
I was thinking more like a more basic map. Stuff like less floors, no chests etc, but I realized that the other Granite Tunnel of Woe is apparently that.

Granite Tunnel of Woe Lv. 1
Boss: Equinox
Type: Ruins Floors: 2
Monster rank: 2 (J)
S: 0 A: 0 B: 0 C: 0 D: 0
E: 0 F: 0 G: 0 H: 0 I: 0

regirafariger
1 month ago#114
OK, yeah, I see what you mean. Yes, there are quite a few 2-floors-only maps. I have a few that are only two floors, with pretty short paths on each of the two, and in decent locations, so that if your only objective is to grind the boss, either to farm his treasures or else to pad your stats of how many times you've killed it, they're excellent maps for that purpose. One of my files contains a two very short floors down to Shogum, in that exact same Stornway castle spot as the starter Granite Tunnel of Woe 1. You can use it to sprint down to Shogum in a big hurry to shoot for spare Miracle Swords if so inclined, or to pad the Shogum kill count if you're one of THOSE sorts of players, who likes to go for maxed stats and totals and counters in every imaginable way. One of those nutjobs that I tend to be sometimes that fantasizes about 99 of every gear and 999 of every kill.

These sorts of maps are often L1, but are sometimes a little higher than that. Just like there is that + / - 10% when the game converts your base quality into your final quality to generate a new map, the maps themselves have a bit of variation. There is a range of map levels based on three factors, and this is covered in great detail in Terence Ferguson's guide. The three factors are number of floors, boss, and monster rank. The baseline is a two-floor map, with Equinox, and K-rank monsters. This is the baseline characteristic of a "L0" map, but there is a + / - five levels within the system, such that such a map could technically exist anywhere from L1 to L5, with "Level 0" not actually existing. The baseline level of a map then adds three levels to its calculation for every time any of those three is upgraded. A third floor, add three levels. Nemean, add three levels. J-rank monsters, add three levels. So that a J-rank monster map with Nemean and three floors then baselines to L9, but the + / - 5 levels means that a map with that boss, monster rank, and floor amount could technically exist anywhere from L4 to L14. This calculation is why, based on maximum floors, maximum boss, and maximum monster rank, that the rank 1 map set from FQ 2-55 caps out at L23 maps: Four floors, Shogum, I-rank monsters. Each one of those three categories adds six points to the process, 18, + / - 5 levels means maps like that can be anywhere from L 13 to L 23. To examine in particular the starter map from the Collapsus quest that everyone gets, the famous Granite Tunnel of Woe L1, that one gets three extra levels in the process from that third floor, but has bottom boss and bottom monster rank, so its baseline characteristic is actually that of a L3 map, but has been + / - 5 levels down to being a L1 map. But a map exactly like that could exist anywhere from L1 to L8.

The offshoot of this is in those last two map ranks with the very high FQs, it is possible to get Equinox as a boss down the bottom of a super-deep, high monster rank grotto, but the absolute maximum level an Equinox map can possibly have is L 71. This would be a 16 floor map (add 42 levels for the 14 extra floors), with C-S monsters (add 24 levels for the eight monster ranks up from K), 42 + 24 = 66, nothing extra for the bottom boss, 66 + / - 5 = 61 to 71. Check yab's tool, search for Equinox as the boss, no other fields filled in, L 72. You'll get a null result. Same search, L71. "Too many grottoes, only displaying the first 20".

I find these sorts of mechanics fascinating, but lack any data mining skills whatsoever. Thank goodness for people like yab and Terence, who do it, do it extremely well, and have been kind enough to educate the rest of us.

gamerman57
4 weeks ago#115
Oh definitely. The dataminers did an amazing job with this game.

User Info: yab

yab
4 weeks ago#116
yeah, solo gives you the 6 second item
using some flash carts seem to load the game in 3 or 4 seconds.

the timer doesn't account for those right now.

User Info: yab

yab
4 weeks ago#117
if grinding for L1 maps, try to get an "up / down" map like this one
https://www.yabd.org/apps/dq9/grottomap.php?map=025874

regirafariger
4 weeks ago#118
The Shogum one right by Stornway that I have is this one:

https://www.yabd.org/apps/dq9/grottomap.php?map=023FDF

Not quite as up / down quite as quickly as that one, but still pretty quick, and that 05 location. Hard to top it randomly for a sprint to Shogum.

gamerman57
4 weeks ago#119
How does the tagging process work? IIRC, I have to complete the map first. I might send over some of these legacy maps so I can safely delete them on my main file. I want one copy of each for getting up to 99 and another of the "best" orb farmers. For the Lv 99 ones I want to use all the ones that were discovered by me, and for the Orb ones, I'll just use ones right outside cities such as the NOA ones or any other that were tagged to me

Apparently Quest numbers 62, 151, 152, 158, 167, 176, 179, and 184 are the ones that reward various Legacy Boss maps. I have completed... all of them. Hmm I guess I'm stuck with the locations I got, but thats fine. I'll make it work.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

regirafariger
4 weeks ago#120
It's through Erinn in the Stornway Inn. When you talk to her, one of the choices she offers is "Canvasse for guests", and during that process, she gives you the option to take a map with you when you do that. Yes, the only ones you can choose from are finished, yellow box ones, not unfinished blue or red. Then once you canvasse your two games to each other, when you go talk to your freshly canvassed guests in that room off to the left, that's when you'll get the map from your other self. It comes to the new game as an unfound red box map; the original discoverer never changes no matter how many times it's tagged one game to the next, and when it is tagged, it comes to the new game with the "conquered by" listed as the game it just came from, but then once you beat it in its destination file, the "conquered by" credit changes to that file.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A