• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: FranckKnight

FranckKnight
1 month ago#21
RocketZXblue posted...
every DQ game with ultimate key had the same effect, you didn't need magic/thief key
at the very least, dragon quest 3 had an ultimate key and that was true for NES, GBC, and SNES versions.
That is more or leas correct.

DQ2 had keys for specific doors, after that the keys would replace older ones for sake of inventory space, since you had to carry it in the limited 8 spaces of an active character to use it.

This 'feature' is usually of little consequence otherwise since you usually find them in a specific order, DQ8 is an exception to this since you can skip fhe Thief key, as its optional and you need to craft it. It just means that you leave chests until you find the Magic Key at least. In most other games it was a requirement to progress, needing it to open certain doors.

Since most newer games and remakes have a common inventory, the space management of carrying multiple keys is also loss.
Nothing to see here, move along

User Info: Epicmissingno

Epicmissingno
1 month ago#22
Thard_Verad posted...
Yup. I checked the Bestiary guide and there's a monster in the Bloomingdale area that drops Cautery Swords. It's their rare drop though, so you may have to work for one.
You can also just buy one from Dourbridge, or get a free one from a thief's key chest. The real problem is brighten rocks, which have a pretty miserable drop rate from some pots and barrels, a respectable one from certain inn fountains...or you can go grotto-diving for goodybags (or, if you really want to grind that much, cosmic chimaeras or rashaveraks).

Anyway, one of my favourite weird details is that party order does, in fact matter. Slightly. Because some monsters have Party Pooper and it has whip-like damage fall-off.
I'm doing a Dragon Quest IX screenshot Let's Play! Come and read it, I guess!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853567

User Info: regirafariger

regirafariger
1 month ago#23
Yeah, I remember being part of this discussion a few months back, and afterwards the realization hit me, too, that the Cautery Sword wasn't the difficult part of that endeavor, because I was toying around some spare file or another and wandered to Dourbridge's store and noticed them for sale there. But then I never bothered to come back into the topic to bring that up.
Blue Lou Diamond Diamond Almonds Phillips.

User Info: Thard_Verad

Thard_Verad
4 weeks ago#24
Epicmissingno posted...
You can also just buy one from Dourbridge, or get a free one from a thief's key chest. The real problem is brighten rocks, which have a pretty miserable drop rate from some pots and barrels, a respectable one from certain inn fountains...or you can go grotto-diving for goodybags (or, if you really want to grind that much, cosmic chimaeras or rashaveraks).

Anyway, one of my favourite weird details is that party order does, in fact matter. Slightly. Because some monsters have Party Pooper and it has whip-like damage fall-off.
Point taken. But I have no problem where Brighten Rocks are concerned. There are sparkling spots near Gleeba and Wormwood Creek that (for me) always have four of them.

Versus Dragonlord, always put your Priest in the last party spot. No other monster is as threatening with Party Pooper as he is.
"Many in harmony surpass one in perfection." - Guildmaster, Etrian Odyssey II

User Info: regirafariger

regirafariger
3 weeks ago#25
This is a complete splitting of hairs and a big-time nitpick, but the original discussion all that time ago...

(and I wonder what happened to the poster on here who brought it up, kayotime? She seemed very very active and enthusiastic then suddenly disappeared, and it happened just after we vamped a little bit and made those silly jokes on whatever thread that was about party time and what happens in Stornway stays in Stornway; hopefully she wasn't offended to the point of bailing out forever by that silliness. I for one certainly meant nothing crass or sexist or misogynistic by it, I was just being supremely goofy is all)

...had to do with being able to make the sword in question with alchemy before getting the boat in Bloomingdale, so those two Brighten Rock spots aren't yet in play. So to actually make the sword, it's buy the Cautery Sword in Dourbridge as the easy part but the Brighten Rocks would need to come from odd sources to be able to do it that early.
Blue Lou Diamond Diamond Almonds Phillips.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A