• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  3. PSA: Method to get the DLC without hacking/multiplayer

User Info: Gardaer

Gardaer
1 year ago#1
Been seeing a lot of topics around here asking how to get the DLC content and people answer that the only way to get it is by hacking or playing multiplayer with someone who does have it. However, using altwfc, you can get the DLC simply by connecting your DS to a different server.

Go into the DS wifi settings from inside any online DS game, and set 172.104.88.237 as your primary DNS, making sure there are no other connections set up. This will work on any DS system, from phat to 3DS.

Keep in mind that the DS can't connect to any wifi with higher security than WEP, which is old wifi that you probably don't have anymore (and if you do, your network is wide open) so you'll need to find a work around. There's a few different ways to accomplish this, such as plugging in an old router to your new router (my preferred method), using a mobile hotspot, setting up an open guest network, etc.

Once that's set up, go to the inn in Stornway, talk to Sellma, and if everything is done right it should connect and download the quests, special guests, and VC Shop items.

User Info: Atkinodactyl

Atkinodactyl
1 year ago#2
Hello gardaer,
Please can you elaborate on this method as I don’t want to hack my game and I don’t really understand how to do it?

Cheers,
Atkinodactyl

Gardaer
1 year ago#3
The process is almost exactly the same as it was doing it back in the day on official servers, just with a few differences.

Boot up Dragon Quest IX using any DS system, and at the title screen choose "Configure Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Settings". This will load up the connection setup tool that's included with every online DS game.

Delete any existing settings on there, and choose a new connection. It will now search for wireless networks. Choose your wireless network, and it will do a connection test if the DS is able to connect to it (there's a good chance it won't and you'll need to find a work around, see below). The connection test should succeed.

Once the connection test has succeeded, choose the connection you just set up to bring up the connection settings. Scroll down and set "Auto-Obtain DNS" to no. Then set "Primary DNS" to 172.104.88.237 and then click save settings.

Start up the game again, and go to the inn in Stornway. Behind the counter is a blonde girl with a green ribbon. Talk to her to connect and get the extra quests, special guests, and a few items in the DQVC shop.

Gardaer
1 year ago#4
As I stated above, there's a good chance that your DS will not be able connect to your wireless network. This is because the DS only supports connections that either have open security (so no wifi password) or connections with WEP security and lower. When the DS was relevant, WEP was standard. However, WEP is no longer considered secure and there's a high chance that your connection is WPA2 instead, which is too new for the DS to connect to.

Arguably the best way to get around this issue is to simply plug an old router into an ethernet port on your current router. Hold down the reset button on the old router which will likely set it to open security, connect the DS to the old router, and unplug the old router when you're done.

(If you don't have an old router, take a trip to some garage sales or thrift stores. I went to a community garage sale last week and they had about 4 of them. Alternatively, you could just buy one off of ebay. I personally use a Linksys WRT54GS, which goes for about $15 on ebay.)

Another method is to set up a wireless hotspot and set the security to open or WEP. This will not work on iphones or Windows 10 because they can only make WPA2 hotspots, but if you have an Android it may work. It tends to be less stable and more unreliable than the old router method though, so I'd advise trying that first if you have an old router laying around.

There's also the official Nintendo Wifi USB Connector. You can find these for about $10 on ebay, plug it into a computer with an internet connection, and then the DS will be able to connect to it. The problem is that it requires Windows XP or Windows Vista. Either dig out an old computer, or set up a virtual machine. I don't know the specifics of this method since I don't own the adapter, but I have heard from people who've done it.

You could also set your current wireless network to open. The way you do it depends on the router, but getting to the router settings page involves typing in the router's IP address into any web browser while connected to said router. However, this method never worked for me, as my DS gave an error during connection setup. It might work for you, but it didn't work for me.

Another method is to set up an open guest network. You'd go to your router's setting page, and set it up depending on your router. My router doesn't even support this option so I've never tried it, but I have heard of it working for some people.

If all else fails, I guess you could also just bring your DS to a bunch of public places until you find one with free open wifi. The wifi must not require a password, and it must not require you to connect to a website to agree to their rules.

User Info: Atkinodactyl

Atkinodactyl
1 year ago#5
Thank you so much Gardaer That is really helpful as as previously stated I don’t want to hack my game and I’m still in education so buying a action replay or any form of cheating device is pretty much out of the question. Looks like I’m gonna be spending time in public places as that is the easiest option for my circumstances. I understand that DQ 9 misses a lot of content without the dlc and thanks to your help, myself and many others can easily access the content that has been hidden for many years. Can’t wait to try this out.
Thank you Gardaer,
From Myself and others
What if you play on a 3DS? I wonder if this would work from a 3DS and a router using WPA2? Or does the DS compatibility layer still rely on the older WEP protocol?
Playing Dragon's Dogma
Switch FC: SW-3111-0455-2735, Pawn: Amaryllis, Pawn ID: 0A37-E95C-E4E7

Gardaer
1 year ago#7
PsychicRutabaga posted...
What if you play on a 3DS? I wonder if this would work from a 3DS and a router using WPA2? Or does the DS compatibility layer still rely on the older WEP protocol?

DSi and 3DS do support WPA2, but this only matters with Pokemon Black and White as all other retail DS games are hard coded for WEP.

User Info: Philip027

Philip027
1 year ago#8
tag

User Info: DE-Matti3

DE-Matti3
1 year ago#9
It worked!

Thank you so much Gardaer.

I have a game file since the game came out, so I did not play it actively anymore. But now it seems I suddenly have these side-quests, awesome!

User Info: DE-Matti3

DE-Matti3
1 year ago#10
Gardaer posted...
As I stated above, there's a good chance that your DS will not be able connect to your wireless network. This is because the DS only supports connections that either have open security (so no wifi password) or connections with WEP security and lower. When the DS was relevant, WEP was standard. However, WEP is no longer considered secure and there's a high chance that your connection is WPA2 instead, which is too new for the DS to connect to.

Arguably the best way to get around this issue is to simply plug an old router into an ethernet port on your current router. Hold down the reset button on the old router which will likely set it to open security, connect the DS to the old router, and unplug the old router when you're done.

(If you don't have an old router, take a trip to some garage sales or thrift stores. I went to a community garage sale last week and they had about 4 of them. Alternatively, you could just buy one off of ebay. I personally use a Linksys WRT54GS, which goes for about $15 on ebay.)

Another method is to set up a wireless hotspot and set the security to open or WEP. This will not work on iphones or Windows 10 because they can only make WPA2 hotspots, but if you have an Android it may work. It tends to be less stable and more unreliable than the old router method though, so I'd advise trying that first if you have an old router laying around.

There's also the official Nintendo Wifi USB Connector. You can find these for about $10 on ebay, plug it into a computer with an internet connection, and then the DS will be able to connect to it. The problem is that it requires Windows XP or Windows Vista. Either dig out an old computer, or set up a virtual machine. I don't know the specifics of this method since I don't own the adapter, but I have heard from people who've done it.

You could also set your current wireless network to open. The way you do it depends on the router, but getting to the router settings page involves typing in the router's IP address into any web browser while connected to said router. However, this method never worked for me, as my DS gave an error during connection setup. It might work for you, but it didn't work for me.

Another method is to set up an open guest network. You'd go to your router's setting page, and set it up depending on your router. My router doesn't even support this option so I've never tried it, but I have heard of it working for some people.

If all else fails, I guess you could also just bring your DS to a bunch of public places until you find one with free open wifi. The wifi must not require a password, and it must not require you to connect to a website to agree to their rules.

To verify the method for others:
"Another method is to set up a wireless hotspot and set the security to open or WEP.'
This did the trick for me, after so many years. (I have indeed Android)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  3. PSA: Method to get the DLC without hacking/multiplayer
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A