• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: KevinReconAlpha

KevinReconAlpha
2 months ago#81
hardlightpuff posted...
Wow, you really did make bosses possible to fuddle, it just basically won me a boss fight. I'm assuming grotto bosses are susceptible to status effects (besides death, paralyze) and now I'm even more satisfied with this patch than I already was.

Are you still working on this patch? Any plans if so?

I'm not actively working on it, but chances are really good I'll pick it back up and do some iteration on it in the near future. I'd love to collect more feedback like the above.

User Info: LinkLuigi

LinkLuigi
1 month ago#82
I wanna give this a try. I've been itching to play DQ9 for a while now, bit a properly balanced one may be just what I need.

User Info: Morgan09

Morgan09
1 month ago#83
Hey I was wondering if this was still being distributed, I pm'd you in case it was. Thank you for your efforts :)

KevinReconAlpha
1 month ago#84
Hi everyone - i finally uploaded the patch to my barely-developed website here. So if you've reached out to me by PM lately (I'm a little behind) - try to grab it here and let me know if you have any issues.

https://kevspace.net/patchworks/

I'll post in this thread (or create a new one) for any significant updates.

User Info: nexta88

nexta88
1 month ago#85
Is it known if there's any significant clash with the patch and AR codes? (Such as unlocking all the weapons or enabling the DLC quests.)

KevinReconAlpha
1 month ago#86
nexta88 posted...
Is it known if there's any significant clash with the patch and AR codes? (Such as unlocking all the weapons or enabling the DLC quests.)

No, these should all work as normal. The way DQ9 is structured you can even apply the patch in the middle of a save file and it will dynamically apply all the changes to your save file (automatically updating stats and spell lists, for example) without corrupting it in any way. This lets you try out the patch without fully committing to it, which is nice.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Morgan09

Morgan09
1 month ago#87
omg thank you very much!!

User Info: nexta88

nexta88
1 month ago#88
KevinReconAlpha posted...
nexta88 posted...

No, these should all work as normal. The way DQ9 is structured you can even apply the patch in the middle of a save file and it will dynamically apply all the changes to your save file (automatically updating stats and spell lists, for example) without corrupting it in any way. This lets you try out the patch without fully committing to it, which is nice.

So as a follow up I have another question, idk if you have the answer to this one. I don't have a flashcard or anything, I'm just using an emulator. Said emulator has cheats for games built in, but doesn't display them for the patched game. (Idk if that's because I changed the name when patching.)
So assumably I would be able to start a game on the regular rom, use the codes to unlock everything and THEN patch the rom and continue with everything unlocked. So, in doing that, do I not change the file name when patching so that the patch game replaces the regular version, or will the patched game retrieve that saved game file regardless?

LinkLuigi
4 weeks ago#89
Are moves like " Whistle" more useful? I would love to make a tanky character that doesnt need to soak forbearance.

LinkLuigi
3 weeks ago#90
Well I've gotten past the spider boss. Gonna give my opinion a on a few things. I've been trying to play exclusively with AI settings to really have a fresh playthrough. We're at lvl21-22 at time of posting.

Lengthy post alert

So far I am loving this patch. Very good idea on how the classes should have been balanced t on begin with. Mages having access to spells earlier like Crackle and Frizzle, along with them being cheaper, has made her into my powerhouse. She always has something to do, and I can say that I can see an increase to her MP regen (I get 2's every so often). I switch her to Show No Mercy when she gets to about a third of her MP due to AI stupidity.

The party thief is also excellent. I enjoy the new knives. I've been seeing more crits, and Toxic Dagger gives her something to do on boss battles. Stacking her with herbs makes her a great emergency healer, something the AI exceeds in, though it's a shame they can't use other items like Tanglewebs. Toxic Dagger doesnt land often, but it's much appreciated when it does. Technically, if you land one, you can turtle up for 16 turns, due to how poison works. If the enemy were capable of shrugging it off, or it wearing off o it's own, great, but the low activation chance evens it out a bit. I've still been in trouble even having landed poison, and it's great for bosses that likes to buff.

A Priest, and then a Minstrel. Both were excellent. Priest learned Zing quickly, and the changes meant that he was always up to date with healing. Packing herbs on my Thief certainly helped. As a Minstrel, the changes were noticable. He does great physical damage, has a powerful group spell that doesn't outshine Bang (and the only Wind attack in the game on my team so far, I even gave him a Foehn Fan to keep up the theme), can heal, and buff with Acceleratle. His healing has taken a hit obviously, but he has Midheal, that and a speedy Herb using Theif more than suffices.

Now the Armamentalist, the one I wanted to talk about most of all, and the one who needed changing the most, right after mages. They weren't bad, but very underwhelming. Basically Warriors in stats, with more restrictive armor choices and redundant spells. Redundant for a few reasons. They were useless on mobs due to a combination of the rarity of large enough groups (and due to the way grouping is, even smaller groups are broken down and seperated), enemies not being worth using on, the spells being highly inaccurate, and the Arma themselves being so slow they won't even get a chance to use it. On bosses, they were basically Warriors with larger MP pools, so they had that going.

Totally different story now. His debuff spells still aren't worth using against mobs, but he has the Bang line, exactly what he needs. I say keep Bang over the planned Frizz line. He already has a Fire Force coming from a nice physical attack for single target damage, and with Bang, he can put his MagMight to use while fixing up is issues with mobs. I'd say increase his speed and Deftness compared to a Warrior, bit honestly, you get gear that can help with that very soon. (Agility Ring, Mercury Bandana). And now that bosses are susceptible to status ailments I can really put that spell list to good use.
  • Post New Message