• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: KevinReconAlpha

KevinReconAlpha
7 months ago#1
So I've sent the patch out to quite a few folks at this point. Just wanted to start up some discussion to gather feedback from anyone who is still playing it or lurking on the forums.

User Info: exparrkeys

exparrkeys
7 months ago#2
I'm playing through the post-game at the moment, and it's nice that you can beat legacy bosses without Falcon Slash! (I'm only fighting level 1 bosses atm, so that might change)

I've been using Slumber Stick + Crushed Ice + Meteorite Bracer with my priest, and it almost always puts bosses to sleep before they can attack - except Nokturnus, who is still faster and can't be hit with it if he uses Buff. The last time I fought him, I won by using Toxic Dagger until he got poisoned (a nice addition!), then Defending Champion until he died of poison damage.

I'm also at that stage where I'm trying to get the best equipment, which of course requires lots of Agates. It would be nice if Somas and Ethereal Stones were available for mini medals (I think someone mentioned this in the last thread), as fighting legacy bosses is much more enjoyable than repeatedly going to the 9th floor of a grotto and using the chest timer to get a single SS.

KevinReconAlpha
7 months ago#3
exparrkeys posted...
I'm playing through the post-game at the moment, and it's nice that you can beat legacy bosses without Falcon Slash! (I'm only fighting level 1 bosses atm, so that might change)

I've been using Slumber Stick + Crushed Ice + Meteorite Bracer with my priest, and it almost always puts bosses to sleep before they can attack - except Nokturnus, who is still faster and can't be hit with it if he uses Buff. The last time I fought him, I won by using Toxic Dagger until he got poisoned (a nice addition!), then Defending Champion until he died of poison damage.

I'm also at that stage where I'm trying to get the best equipment, which of course requires lots of Agates. It would be nice if Somas and Ethereal Stones were available for mini medals (I think someone mentioned this in the last thread), as fighting legacy bosses is much more enjoyable than repeatedly going to the 9th floor of a grotto and using the chest timer to get a single SS.

Yeah that came up a few times but I haven't located where that is in memory yet. If I do I'll definitely update it. I'd also like to adjust drop rates on some things to make the game a little less grindy.

User Info: Anokatax

Anokatax
7 months ago#4
What patch do you mean?

KevinReconAlpha
7 months ago#5
Anokatax posted...
What patch do you mean?

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/76325259

Note that the changes mentioned in the first message became outdated. A closer-to-the-final version list is found at the top of page 13.

User Info: shadowashura

shadowashura
6 months ago#6
Where do you get/could I get a copy of the patch?

User Info: StyrixA

StyrixA
5 months ago#7
Very excited to see this! Have you thought about posting on RomHacking? I also PMed you. I'd love to try it and send feedback.

User Info: Metastase

Metastase
5 months ago#8
Did you have any breakthrough regarding mass editing enemy stats? What about Quest Data or edits to the Mini-Medal Shop?

I have a bit of free time during the following days and I've been in the mood to play DQIX for a long while now so I'm available if you make the patch available.

exparrkeys feedback was pretty interesting. I like that those new strats are possible now but I wonder how that scales against high LVL Legacies.

User Info: StyrixA

StyrixA
5 months ago#9
So, planning on playing the patch, and I think I want to especially try the changes. Other than knife, what's the biggest change do you think to classes? Minstrel and Luminary being viable? Mage more viable?

KevinReconAlpha
5 months ago#10
StyrixA posted...
So, planning on playing the patch, and I think I want to especially try the changes. Other than knife, what's the biggest change do you think to classes? Minstrel and Luminary being viable? Mage more viable?

The most significant changes overall are the buffs to Luminaries and Minstrels and nerfs to Gladiators through changes to str/res growth across all classes.

I always thought Mages were better than they were given credit for, but they did definitely see some buffs, both direct and indirect. Between learning their Frizz line faster, learning Kaboomle, and having reduced MP costs making spells a lot more competitive with skills, they're much more reliable and efficient than before. Probably nothing is a more effective grotto cleaner than a Mage with a hammer.

Minstrel remains in but is much better at its role of versatile support, arguably remaining the best class for the main character even in the post game as a strong fighter with good overall stats and support spells like Zing, Multiheal, Acceleratle, and a much more cost effective Kaswoosh. Like luminaries, they also benefit from Charm/Style having lower enemy resistance and therefore affecting bosses a bit more often.

Luminaries are a more spell-oriented version of the Minstrel and can effectively replace a Priest in legacy boss teams with Omniheal. They have the benefit of better survivability and passives with the drawbacks of less MP, no single-target healing like fullheal, and no buffs or revives (Priests now learn Kazing.)
(edited 5 months ago)
  • Post New Message