• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  3. Any other RPG games that can have character wield a Bo Staff?

User Info: richargh

richargh
8 years ago#1
It's my favorite weapon and it was a genius idea to put it in as a melee weapon and not just some magic girly weapon that it is usually found in most RPG games. Anyone know any other RPG game that has a character that wields a Bo Staff? I know Diablo 3's monk will be having it... any others?
AC:WW Friend Code - 2706 - 5535 - 3504
Name: Richard / Town: Manila

User Info: gunarm_dyne

gunarm_dyne
8 years ago#2
The hero of Suikoden I wields one and Ark of Terranigma has an arsenal of spears and bos. Those are the only two off the top of my head.
XBLA: Gunarm Dyne PSN: GunarmDyne Steam: gunarm_dyne
My collection of games: http://backloggery.com/gunarmdyne

User Info: Indogutsu

Indogutsu
8 years ago#3
There's also Katt (AKA Rinpoo or Lin) from Breath of Fire 2.

User Info: BahamutRider

BahamutRider
8 years ago#4
There's the main character in Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky.

There's also Saiyuki: Journey West, but that's a game starring Goku and some other guys so that's kind of cheating.
Haseo: C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, I'm right here...TAAAAXIIIIIII!!!!!

User Info: Yggdrasill92

Yggdrasill92
8 years ago#5
One of the characters in Grand Chase can use one, that's where I started liking them.

User Info: Duke Darkwood

Duke Darkwood
8 years ago#6
Well, are we talking main characters, or party members in general?

Suikoden Series: I can only vouch for the cardinal games (+Tactics), but every last one of them has a staff wielder (usually multiple), and - as already mentioned above - the first one's hero uses one. Trust me, though, it's not worth bothering to list them all. Heh.

Breath of Fire II: Party member Katt.
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness: Main character Edda.
Final Fantasy VII: Party member Aeris (sort of - the weapon looks more like a bo/quarterstaff than a amge's staff, but it is not really wielded as one).
Phantasy Star's mages sometimes wield their staves in a quarterstaff-like fashion. Rune from PS4 is a good example (when you don't just slam two shields on him and have him cast only).

Several TRPGs have pole/quarterstaff weapons, sometimes with a reach advantage (FFT for example), although I can't remember which all even use the weapon type, much less which give it its own rules.

Of course, just about anything under the (A)D&D license will allow quarterstaves - those and daggers are about the only melee weapons mages get! Some of the more recent ones, due to 3e's reintroduction of the monk, probably can use such staves to great effect. (One character in the Diablo-styled Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II is a good example.)

No doubt there are others. Although, in most console RPGs, characters who wield staves often do it wither as a facilitator for magic, or if they must use it in melee, they simply bludgeon enemies with it. (Granted, especially among older games, graphic limitations hinder how accurately weapons can be animated, so in those cases, I go by what the weapon is said to be.)

P.S. RPGs. Not "RPG games". Before anyone else points it out more pointedly.
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann

User Info: DarkHeroRaven

DarkHeroRaven
8 years ago#7
Like BahamutRider said, the main character, Estelle Bright, from The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky uses a Bo Staff. It's a fantastic game with fantastic characters, and if you own a PSP, you should pick it up ASAP.
http://backloggery.com/RavenTheObsidian
Duke, do you have a problem with PIN Numbers when applied to ATM Machines? >_>

Aside from ribbing, well said!
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!

User Info: Sulley3

Sulley3
8 years ago#9
Ok, I'll bite. What is a Bo Staff?
Hard cheese, go back to the start..... If I had a nickel for every time I saw this, I could retire.
Dark RPG Wizard 06 8 years ago#10
There are a few ways I could answer this. I'm going to try two.

1) Have you ever seen Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles? Donatello, the purple one, wields a long staff of wood. That's a Bo.

2) You know what a quarter-staff is? A Bo is similar. There are details and differences, but for the sake of simplicity, I suppose "Japanese take on Quarter-staff" will do.
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  3. Any other RPG games that can have character wield a Bo Staff?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A