• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  3. 100% LMS Encounter on Slime Hill - Post-game

User Info: Sephiroth0327

Sephiroth0327
10 years ago#1
Over the last few weeks, I've seen several topics relating to levelling up quickly when you don't have access to MKS/PKJ. Several of us have hapharzadly posted the "Slime Hill trick" to guarantee a 100% LMS appearance but I thought it would be good to dedicate a topic to it exclusively so new players don't need to search through seemingly unrelated topics. Here goes...

What the trick does - Done correctly, this trick ensures a 100% LMS spawn rate on Slime Hill. Very helpful if you do not have a grotto with an all-MKS grotto floor.

Why the trick works - The game uses something called "seeds" to determine which monsters spawn in a given area. Certain "seeds" guarantee a LMS to appear on Slime Hill. Someone has discovered a method of how to manipulate the seeds, which is essentially what this trick is. In short, when you view your map menu the game uses the map at the bottom of the current page to determine which seed you are on. This can be manipulated

How to do it - (You must be in the post game):

-Fly to Slime Hill
-Open your map menu and make a note of which map appears at the bottom of the current page. Close map list.(this step is just for your reference)
-Enter cave
-Immediately open map list
-Immediately close map list
-Immediately leave cave and run south
-Once you hit the cliff, head immediately east (make sure to hug cliff wall)
-Take note of the 1st two monsters you see. If the 1st or 2nd monster is a LMS, then score! If not, don't bother checking any others and continue below
-Open you map list and change which map appears at the bottom of the current page. You can do this by simply changing pages or by rearranging/deleting maps
-Once you have a new map at the bottom of the list, try again
-Rinse and repeat until you find a map which triggers the LMS to appear

Things to note - I mentioned to run south and then east. Others will tell you to run a different route and to be honest, the route itself doesn't really matter. What's important is that you run the easiest route you can so you don't vary from it even a bit (I find south then east along the cliff to be the easiest). If you don't keep the same path, you will not see consistent results.

One last thing - You can also use a similar method to guarantee LMS spawn in the Bowhole before you beat the game. You essentially follow the same steps, except you open your map on B4 of the Bowhole and immediately close it and run up the stairs and check the monsters.
PSN: Sephiroth0327

Sephiroth0327
10 years ago#2
One correction

One last thing - You can also use a similar method to guarantee LMS spawn in the Bowhole before you beat the game. You essentially follow the same steps, except you open your map list on B4 of the Bowhole and immediately close it and run up the stairs and check the monsters.

Sephiroth0327
10 years ago#3
bump for knowledge

User Info: Saphirah

Saphirah
10 years ago#4
Cool.
3DS FC: 3325-6316-3270.

User Info: Flailthroughs

Flailthroughs
10 years ago#5
Drat- no matter how I sort my list it's the same map at the bottom and it has no LMS. And I don't want to delete it since it's my highest-level grotto so far, so I guess I'll have to keep fighting my way through until I get something better.
Dark RPG Wizard 06 10 years ago#6
You've tried all the pages, Flail?
*Casts Doom on everything* You all must now feel the pain that I have felt...DIE!

Sephiroth0327
10 years ago#7
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

Sephiroth0327
10 years ago#8
If you only have one page of maps and reordering them doesn't help, then all you can do is spam your easy maps to net a bunch of new maps. Once you have multiple pages, it is much easier to reorder/delete/change pages to get this to work.

User Info: Teletaz99

Teletaz99
10 years ago#9
-Fly to Slime Hill
-Open your map menu and make a note of which map appears at the bottom of the current page. Close map list.(this step is just for your reference)
-Enter cave
-Immediately open map list
-Immediately close map list
-Immediately leave cave and run south
-Once you hit the cliff, head immediately east (make sure to hug cliff wall)
-Take note of the 1st two monsters you see. If the 1st or 2nd monster is a LMS, then score! If not, don't bother checking any others and continue below
-Open you map list and change which map appears at the bottom of the current page. You can do this by simply changing pages or by rearranging/deleting maps
-Once you have a new map at the bottom of the list, try again
-Rinse and repeat until you find a map which triggers the LMS to appear

OK im trying to do the Bowhole one now, do I need to do this at the start of the cave and then go down and redo it at B4 or do I only do the steps at B4?

sorry If I making this harder then it need to be but I wanna make sure im doing it right
>Signature witty lines are yet to follow?!

Sephiroth0327
10 years ago#10
Just head down to B3 (where the LMS spawn) and then take the stairs to B4 and immediately start the steps (as soon as you enter B4, go right to your map list, etc..)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  3. 100% LMS Encounter on Slime Hill - Post-game
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A