• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
  3. Never played Persona before, but...

User Info: _Shuyin_

_Shuyin_
3 weeks ago#1
So I bought this game several years back, I think it was on sale or something. I never played a Persona game before. Don't really know anything about it. But, for some reason, I'm really drawn to this game and thinking about investing some real time into it. I think it's because I watched the opening cinematic where something crazy happened and the MC is all like "...Persona..." and, if I remember correctly it just seemed real mysterious and fascinating.

That said... I'm not as patient with RPGs like I used to be, when I was younger. I understand that this game has an Easy Mode, which I fully intended to use. I know people will scoff at that and to those people who love a real challenge - I salute you! But it's just not for me.

I'm wondering how long this game generally is and, when played on Easy Mode, if grinding is still going to be necessary. I hate grinding and I fear it has lead me away from some really great games out there. But life is too busy and I'm not patient enough to spend hours killing the same enemies again and again to gain EXP so I can progress on the story.

Forgive me for rambling, but hopefully there are still people on this board that can shed some light on this for me. Thank you :)
"At times we must purge things from this world because they should not exist. Even if it means losing someone that you love."
~Deadly Premonition

User Info: Papapilros

Papapilros
3 weeks ago#2
The estimated duration of the core game, "The Journey" is 70 hours and 30 hours in the "The Answer"

I'm also playing the game for the first time, and glad to see Im not the only one. I'm loving the game, but starting to see more unfair and hard bosses (playing in normal mode, don't know about easy), in the 135 floor there is a boss with the only purpose of checking if you have an skill that allow to heal all of party members. I didn't had the necesary level of a Persona to have that ability and for the first time in my 58 hours of the game I had to grind, for like 4 hours, it was very tedious.

But if you don't care losing some in-game time, you could easily skip that part, allow me to explain witouth the less spoilers I can say. In the game you can interact with some people, and this will result in a Social Link, well, Social Links basically level up Persona's that you get via Fusion (fusioning Personas), so you can skip trough a manual level-up, in fact, I would say that a manual level-up isn't something the game wants you to do.

My bad was that I mistaken one Social Link with another and spent all a month developing it, so when the end of the month (in-game) came, I didn't want to spend more time developing and getting the proper stats to even start to have a the Social Link needed to auto level-up the Persona that had that skill, so it was all a mess, but it was my fault.

So basically, yes, the game is almost 35% Dungeon RPG and the rest is a Social Sim, but with a good story with a bunch of topics that some of those keep being interesting even today. The game gives you a lot of freedom, only forcing you to fight at the end of each month but only for the story, tough the bosses at the Tartarus Tower are way harder and requires specific strategies to take them down, but most of all didn't take me more than an hour to get prepared, but be prepared for a low-paced history, with a lot of text.

Sorry for being too long and the bad english, but if you need to know someting more, ask me when you want.

Papapilros
3 weeks ago#3
And one more thing, I forgot to mention the grinding of the MC stat's, that are Charisma, Courage and Academics, only to unlock interactions with some other characters and get more Social Links. You will have to go to a certain place every evening in-game and read a little text, being in total like 3 or 4 times pressing X to read something that you would read almost every day, but with holding Triangle you can skip it pretty fast, but it will make the game a little more slow, if you wanted to know.

_Shuyin_
3 weeks ago#4
Is "The Answer" an optional part of the game, or is it the second half of the game? And the Tartarus Tower with the hard bosses. Are they optional or am i expected to fight them?

I really know next to nothing about this game.
"At times we must purge things from this world because they should not exist. Even if it means losing someone that you love."
~Deadly Premonition

Papapilros
3 weeks ago#5
As I know, it isn't that important to the game, its like a DLC, and it's considered bad and tedious. So you can still play The Journey and skip The Answer, wich I reed it was more dungeon-oriented. The Tartarus bosses are obligatory, I think. I know that you can choose to not fight them (by this, not advancing in leveling up and getting the resources to get more Personas) until the very end of the game, but if you choose this way of playing, expect a tedious and hard-ass time doing all the things you didn't do all the way back in the game (speaking of combat).

So yes, The Answer is optional but bosses aren't

_Shuyin_
3 weeks ago#6
Since you're a new player, did you find it difficult to learn the mechanics of this game? You're talking about social linking and personas, which I don't even know what they are.
~Deadly Premonition

Papapilros
3 weeks ago#7
Well, I'm not really that much of a fan of RPG's, but I know the basics. The battle system in this game is good, but the line in between own your enemy and being owned it's very thin, I didn't find hard to learn, but it needs a little of strategy to get a good party acording to your game style.

Your party is AI controlled, and until this part of the game, already in the fourth section of the tower (big-ass dungeon you will be exploring all the game) I didn't had that much problem, you can give basic instructions to your party, but in later-game my problems were a little thing, that didn't ruin important battles.

That for the combat mechanics, for the social mechanics the game isn't hard at all, just will take longer if you don't know some details, and that is if you want a run with all Social Links.

Overall, is kinda easy to grab, but a little exigent to master, and the enemies will force you to think, for example, there is a kind of attack in where if the enemy is stunned, you can deal a good chunk of damage, but after that, that same enemy gets out of the stun. If you pass on that strong attack, the enemy will use its turn to get out of the stun, maybe being more or less efective depending on the type, so it isn't a rampage against everyone witouth worries, the game is designed to be more of exploiting every enemy weakness when they are in your same level, once you are high level, they are pretty easy. But still, its a bit hard to master, but rewarding.

User Info: 228zip

228zip
3 weeks ago#8
Just to nuance Papapilros' post : I didn't have Mediarama, the large group heal spell, and still beat the floor 135 boss fine using items and fire resistance. Playing on Normal as well. I just finished the early October operation, so just ahead of him, with 42h clocked in on the save plus a few more hours lost from resets and Game Overs.

The mandatory missions are easier than the Tartarus bosses and XP gains are exponential. So if you want to minimise playtime, I'd recommend ignoring most of the Tartarus missions with a deadline and simply training up enough to beat the next main story assignment. You can catch up on Tartarus progress after you've gotten the additional XP from the main missions. If you're playing on easy you can probably go a lot faster than I did, since I am doing a lot of the side content.

You might struggle for money however, especially early on. Most of your cash comes from the dungeon crawling section of the game but daytime activities can be expensive. Their efficiency is correlated with their price too.

Some miscalleneous dungeon-crawling tips since that's the part with the most variation :
  1. You can dodge random encounters if you give yourself enough space to outrun them. They won't chase you across a floor.
  2. Knockdowns are key. Both to do more damage and to prevent enemy action. Look for ways to inflict them with your main character.
  3. Temporary stat boosts and debuffs are excellent for boss battles, and very few party members have them.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: sleeping0dragon

sleeping0dragon
3 weeks ago#9
_Shuyin_ posted...
Is "The Answer" an optional part of the game, or is it the second half of the game? And the Tartarus Tower with the hard bosses. Are they optional or am i expected to fight them?

I really know next to nothing about this game.

The Answer is like the game's After Story/Epilogue. There are important story elements to it so it's not optional in that sense.
Now Playing: Witcher 3
Anticipating: Ghost of Tsushima, Hajimari no Kiseki, 13 Sentinels, Guilty Gear Strive, Deadly Premonition 2, Cyberpunk 2077

User Info: Gyrolad

Gyrolad
3 weeks ago#10
i’m partway through p3 and i’ve played persona 5 before, all i have to say is, you’re in for a ride. i’ll give as quick a summary of the basics as i can.

If you’re playing on Easy, you can mitigate some of the grinding, but the game will be a cakewalk imo.

The game is part dungeon crawler, part social sim. There is a calendar system where you can spend a day either doing Social Links or climbing the Tartarus Tower. Tartarus is a multi-floored dungeon where the grinding and fighting takes place. At certain periods in the tower, there will be a boss you have to fight to progress further. Further than that, at the end of the section, there will be a wall that doesn’t open until the end of the month, blocking your progress.

Social Links are bonds with characters which you increase by spending a day with them. Each one has their own individual stories that progress by leveling up the Social Link, up to level 10, where it will max out.

As for the combat, you fight by summoning Personas, spirits with different moves and weaknesses. The general idea of combat is to use and switch personas in order to exploit the enemy’s weakness to beat them with a finishing attack. Enemies and Personas alike will have certain elements and attacks they are weak to. If you or your enemy hits this weakness, they will gain another turn, and the person hit will waste their next turn getting up.
Tl;Dr exploit the hell out of weaknesses.

As for getting personas. At the end of a battle there is a card shuffle, where you can get a weapon, healing, money, extra EXP, or a Persona. You can fuse together the Personas you gain for a new one. This is where social links come into play.
Each Social Link and Persona has a certain Arcana associated to it. When you level up a Social Link, you get an immediate EXP bonus to that persona (personas and your character level up separately). For example: your milf-hunter friend Kenji is the Magician arcana. Let’s say you’ve finished and maxed out his social link. If you were to fuse a persona of the Magician arcana, it would instantly jump ahead multiple levels when you fuse it. Tl;Dr leveling up social links gives huge XP boosts to the personas you fuse.

Into Social Stats. Sometimes a S. Link will be locked if you don’t meet a certain requirement, for example, you can’t start the Devil s. link until you’re more Charming, or you can’t start the Sun s. link until you’re Smart. These are Social Stats, and you can raise them through multiple things. there’s Academics, Courage, and Charm. You can level up Academics by studying at school, level up Courage by doing karaoke after school or getting shady medicine from the nurse, or Charm by going to the cafe. Or you can do what I do and just play certain games at the arcade on certain days, that’s usually the better way to do it.

There’s a lot here ik, but that’s because there’s a lot to the game. It’s best to pick it up and go through learning as you go, but hopefully this gives you a bit of a clue what’s going on.
  1. Boards
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
  3. Never played Persona before, but...
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A