• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The World Ends with You
  3. Some thoughts on the iOS port, feel free to chip in! [Spoilers]

User Info: LenneValkirye

LenneValkirye
8 years ago#31
Ok I finished the main story today and I can confirm that the iOS version beats the original in music choices by a landslide.

For starters most characters now get their own themes... for example Uzuki and Kariya get an extremely fitting leitmotiff during their conversations and their new boss battle theme when you fight the duo is amazing.

"Satisfy" is an unused song in the English DS version of TWEWY and it's used as Kitaniji's theme... which is extremely fitting during his conversations with Konishi.

"Transformations" is now used instead of "Someday" when you fight Minamimoto.... please tell me how it doesn't fit him much, much better.
There's more, an amazing remix of Transformations plays when you fight his taboo form, which cements the song as his leimotiff.

The original Oo-parts was an extremely poor choice as a boss theme when you fought Konishi, luckily it's replaced by a much more "boss-sounding" remix in this version.

Oh and the best part... GIVE ME ALL YOUR LOVE REMIX!!!

Honestly I can't see how anyone can say that the OST is an any way worse than the original. Every song sounds extremely appropriate for the situation. And every old song is still here. The OST is just better from any point of view.

User Info: soniccloud

soniccloud
8 years ago#32
@Emuchu & @SpellCaster1234

Hey thanks for input on the iPad version of TWEWY. I was really curious about as I haven't seen it myself. Bummer that items are all pixely, and I agree that SE probably should have stepped their game up in that part. But overall the iPad version sounds promising.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haha, I think this debate on the music is really interesting. Personally, I've been loving the music so far, still haven't beaten the game yet though (just got the 3rd week). I guess I could see "Long Dream" not being as suitable as "Emptiness And" for the Kariya/Uzuki fight, but I agree with LenneValkirye that other areas of the game used the "new" music perfectly. Like LenneValkirye said, "Satisfy" is a good example, and I still love where they used "Three Minutes Clapping".

But I mean overall, music is really subjective. And yeah there's a set protocol for when use certain songs for certain situations, but sometimes you need to mix it up for better or for worse.

But really, some of the most memorable and exciting boss themes are the ones that don't go for edgy/dramatic at all and have a smooth and nice feel.

Care to name some examples?

Would Aeris's Theme after Jenova Fight 2 count from FF7?

User Info: GipFace

GipFace
8 years ago#33
No not really.

Anyway, the worst example probably isn't Long Dream 1980s. Junk Garage, which was the blue symbol boss music in DS, is now map music in iOS. Map music.

All I remember was that hearing Junk Garage in the background while Woolly AOR completely pwned you the first time was awesome. Now, not so much.

User Info: DarkWind313

DarkWind313
8 years ago#34
GipFace posted...
Anyway, the worst example probably isn't Long Dream 1980s. Junk Garage, which was the blue symbol boss music in DS, is now map music in iOS. Map music.

Ugh, seriously? I like the new songs and remixes, but I completely agree with you.
Long Dream (1980's) doesn't work well with boss battles, and Junk Garage was great optional boss music; not map music.
I also really wish they hadn't changed the Credits song. Is Lullaby for You even in the iOS version at all (as a CD or anything)?
[Dark Spirit, Spirited Wind + Severstarr] -- Member XVII of the KI:U Sky Kings --
http://i.imgur.com/2Hqmd.png

User Info: Zendaik

Zendaik
8 years ago#35
Anyone going to post the new music on Youtube? Would be appreciated!
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos

User Info: GipFace

GipFace
8 years ago#36
My time on #96U iOS is now 43.18. I'll look to get it sub-40, then I'll post a YouTube video. The strategy is completely different than #96U DS:

Neku: 100/100
Green Warm-ups (CC Faster Sync 1)
Citrus Shorts (CC Faster Sync 2)
Purple Sneaks (CC Faster Sync 2)
Biker Gloves (CC Faster Sync 2)

Joshua: 106/18 (Can't bother with DEF yet; don't really need it)
Brown Baby Tee (Sync Charge 3)
Citrus Shorts (CC Faster Sync 2)
Purple Sneaks (CC Faster Sync 2)
Heart Pochette (CC Faster Sync 2)

Deck:
Eden set + Yoshimitsu
(Eden set provides CC Faster Sync 5 and CC Power 40)

You might be thinking WTF?! Most of those threads you can get in week 1! This is basically the old DS Eden strategy on steroids. The aim is to get three Lv. 3 fusions ASAP and just win with those. You must get at least 5X on every fusion or else you won't get the kill with the third one. Joshua should drain his gauge by the time you get your second fusion.

iOS is great. Three lv. 3 fusions in under a minute LOL. Purple Sneaks and friends are still plenty imba!

User Info: soniccloud

soniccloud
8 years ago#37
@GipFace
No not really.

Care to explain?

@DarkWind 313
I also really wish they hadn't changed the Credits song. Is Lullaby for You even in the iOS version at all (as a CD or anything)?

Yo I totally know what you mean! I just beat the game, and the while the credit song wasn't bad per say, it didn't carry the same punch as Lullaby for You. My guess is that SE no longer has rights to the song anymore so they had to switch it up. So no a version of it probably doesn't exist in game. Unfortunate =/

Zendaik
Anyone going to post the new music on Youtube? Would be appreciated!

I think with the exception of the new credits song, all the songs are probably already on youtube. They took all the tracks from the original JP and ENG games and also all the remixes from a CD they released a couple years ago. Also 3 of the songs come from KH:3D apparently. If not youtube, you can also find the majority of the songs off of iTunes too.

User Info: Zendaik

Zendaik
8 years ago#38
I know the credits song and Tatakai are uploaded. I'm pretty sure I heard a brand new track not in the JP version in one of the walkthrough vids on Youtube. Is that all or are there any more new tracks (ie. composed specifically for Solo Remix like the credits song and Tatakai)?
Monster Hunter Tri ID: Kirolos

User Info: Emuchu

Emuchu
8 years ago#39
Hey guys.

I beat the game, collected the Darklit Planets, and am now going through collecting all the secret reports, so I thought now's a good time for second impressions for people who are still up-in-the-air about the Solo Remix.

I went and plugged in my DS for the first time in the last year to go back and compare my nostalgia for The World Ends with You with the real thing.

The first thing to note is the MASSIVE shift in difficulty. To be frank: comparing TWEWY DS to the iOS port is like comparing the last level of Contra: Hard Corps to the first level of New Super Mario Bros. Being able to focus all your attention on a single character makes everything simple, and Cross-Combos catch the bosses in long, long bouts of flinch-lock that only end when your Partner-Pin runs dry.

To make things even easier, for some reason they upgraded one of the most powerful pins in the game, Lightning Rook, from 4 hits to 9 hits. You can get it after W3D6, and it trivializes every boss you can come across besides Ultimate Panthera Cantus.

Although, after getting wiped within the first two Black Noise battles on the DS... maybe I don't mind that I have a super-casual version of this game to play.

I still think the graphics are underwhelmingly crummy for the iPad 3, but compared to the blocky pixels of my DS display, everything is much sharper and the colors are bolder.

Also, there really is no substitute for Mingle mode. You'll have to get a friend to buy TWEWY iOS, or load it into two devices if you want anything that requires MPP.

Another complaint that only revealed itself in the end-game: the location of the Sub button. I never bothered with the Sub slot until I started using Velocity Tackle psychs, and I wanted to be able to use normal dodges to save tackle power, so I SET them. Thing is, on iPad, the SET button is in the lower left corner of the screen. There is no comfortable way to hold the device that allows me to manipulate Neku with my right hand while being able to reach the Sub button, so it's basically unusable for me. It really should be movable.

Anyways, that's everything I can think of. Still think it's an okay port of a great game.
  1. Boards
  2. The World Ends with You
  3. Some thoughts on the iOS port, feel free to chip in! [Spoilers]
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A