• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Yakuza 2
  3. Osaka...is what? The Japanese Atlanta?
KabtheMentat 13 years ago#1
I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable regarding things Japanese, but I'm not sure about something. Are Osakans suppose to be Japanese rednecks or something? All of "ya" "fer" "ter" "y'all" and things like that kinda throw me off. If it is the case that they're suppose to be hillbillies then the whole Tokyo vs. Osaka things makes more sense. Kinda like the North vs South thing in America (BTW, Southern...eat it. Go Johnny Reb! No accent of any kind though).

Oh, as a side note. I was wondering if anyone else thinks like me that the new HEAT moves are a lot more brutal than in Yakuza 1. That slamming a guy's face into a wall and then a knee to the back of the head back into the wall is kinda nasty, in a good way. Kazuma should have and wear a necklace made of Japanese people's teeth IMO.
Laugh at how dark it can get in this place, as if you're eatin' the soul of a demon for strength.
Project0ni 13 years ago#2
Although Osaka city itself is a bustling metropolis that rivals Yokohama, the prefecture does have it's fair share of surrounding rural areas. Some districts are also very slummy due to events that have occurred in the past 60-70 years, therefore it is possible that this influence wasn't lost in translation. Even so, this can be said of quite a few Japanese prefectures, so the 'redneck' dialog may just be an attempt by the translators to spice things up.
KoroshiyaZero 13 years ago#3
kansai-ben and osaka-ben(the dialects from Kansai and Osaka) are rougher and more straightforward than traditional japanese or kantou-ben. Just think of it as a different area uses a slightly different dialect, this one being a little harsher or less refined.
blueheat 13 years ago#4
I live in Osaka, and what the previous poster said is indeed correct. In my experience, the people of Osaka are a little more 'redneck' than their Tokyo counterparts too, and Osakans are generally regarded as more 'rough-and-ready', but also friendly. I'm not entriely sure if that's really true though.
http://uk.gamespot.com/users/blueheat/games_table?mode=own
CrimsonGear80 13 years ago#5
When I was walking through Osaka, I saw a thought bubble that I thought had a very derogatory comment in it! I was like, "Sega.....NO!!" Then I got closer and saw that it said "Figgers", which I'm sure was just slang for "Figures".

I was about to be shocked out my window, though.
FYI: My @mentions are turned OFF #BLM
RIP Neil Peart (September 12,1952 - January 7, 2020)
  1. Boards
  2. Yakuza 2
  3. Osaka...is what? The Japanese Atlanta?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A