• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Orange Box
  3. How to Get Surround Sound Working Properly
thebigman707 3 years ago#1
First things first, how on earth does this game not support Dolby Digital?? That's like the standard surround sound encoding -- all my other games use it.

Anyways, I understand that this game does in fact support 5.1 surround, but I haven't been able to get it working properly. On my PS3, I have it set up to output Dolby Digital, DTS, 2.1 PCM and 5.1 PCM. The audio travels through an HDMI to my TV, where I have my TV set up to output Dolby D and DTS, then the audio travels through an optical cable to my receiver. My receiver supports all kinds of encoding, including Dolby D and DTS. However when running the game with these settings, my receiver will only output 2.1 Dolby D. I can force it to output to all speakers, but it isn't surround. I can also have it use Dolby ProLogic II, but it is not nearly as clear and precise as typical Dolby Digital, and spoken word is difficult to hear.

My setup does not seem to support plan old 5.1, and wants some sort of encoding whether dolby or whatever. Any ideas how to get the best surround sound out of this setup? Any help is very appreciated.

PS I do also experience the audio crackling that many have complained about :(
  1. Boards
  2. The Orange Box
  3. How to Get Surround Sound Working Properly
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A