The Half Life 2 Plot Up To Nova Prospekt *Posible Spoilers*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Orange Box
  3. The Half Life 2 Plot Up To Nova Prospekt *Posible Spoilers*

User Info: shankarrr

shankarrr
10 years ago#1
So I am well into Nova Prospekt and so far this is what I have deduced about the plot:

You are Gordon Freeman, a "theoretical physician" (or something of the sort) revered among all the members of a resistance movement. They are resisting the rule of the Combine who are led by a man, Doctor Breen. He sees him and the human parts of the Comine as the cream of the crop of the human species and he wants to prove that to the "benefactors". The Combine are evidentally working on something big, there are mining shafts and all sorts of equipment everwhere doing various tasks. The waters of the beach seem to be receding.

Now about City 17. It, to me, seems like a place where the Combine place non-Combine humans for some unknown reason, maybe so they can be controlled. Their memory is washed away, and they come there, and none leave. There are numerous little cameras floating around taking pictures, probably so the Combine is aware of what everyone is doing.

So, is there anything I am missing/that I got wrong? Please, no spoilers past this please!

Thanks
Ninjas>Stormtroopers>Jedi>Samurai>Waffles>Pirates
^ My flow chart of awesome things in this world.

User Info: The_Shovel

The_Shovel
10 years ago#2
*Obviously, spoilers*

You may want to add the Doctor Breen was your administrator from Black Mesa, and that Freeman woke up from a stasis while on a train after accepting the job opportunity from the G-man.
You're a signature.

User Info: somnule

somnule
10 years ago#3
He's a theoretical physicist. A theoretical physician would be some weird sort of meta-doctor.

The Combine, or the Benefactors have some sort of suppression device on City 17 which eliminates the urge in humans to reproduce, among other things. I don't really understand it myself.
Leave luck to heaven.

The_Shovel
10 years ago#4
(Sorry for the double post)
You may want to describe the appearance of the people who go there a bit more (from what you can see on the cameras). Like their saggy skin, and that mask that is put on them.

shankarrr
10 years ago#5
Ah yes I detected something.... Off... About that. Thanks for the correction.

shankarrr
10 years ago#6
The Combine, or the Benefactors have some sort of suppression device on City 17 which eliminates the urge in humans to reproduce, among other things. I don't really understand it myself.

I'm pretty sure the Combine and the "benefactors" are two very different entities.

The_Shovel
10 years ago#7
^No, the benefactors are the combine, but they're only called that in propaganda.
You're a signature.

User Info: Zelcron

Zelcron
10 years ago#8
Yeah, Breen is a sort of human liaison. He "rules" Earth with a heavy Combine presence and consent. If you know ancient history, it's like what the Roman's did in many places; keep a local ruler to minimize rebellion in the population. Anyhow, as a means of propaganda, he refers to the Combine as "Our benefactors," where they are in fact an interdimensional empire composed of several species, all of which appear to be highly augmented with cybernetic technology; the soldiers you fight fall into this category.

---
Zelcron (35) | Board List | Topic List | Intrigued, yet cautious | Post New Message | Track Topic
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/11714107741.gif

shankarrr
10 years ago#9
Yeah, Breen is a sort of human liaison. He "rules" Earth with a heavy Combine presence and consent. If you know ancient history, it's like what the Roman's did in many places; keep a local ruler to minimize rebellion in the population. Anyhow, as a means of propaganda, he refers to the Combine as "Our benefactors," where they are in fact an interdimensional empire composed of several species, all of which appear to be highly augmented with cybernetic technology; the soldiers you fight fall into this category.

Wait, so if the Combine and the "benefactors" are one and the same, why was Dr. Breen saying that he wanted to prove that they (the humans of the Combine, such as the soldiers you fight) were the best of the race. He said he wanted to prove that to the benefactors but if they are the benefactors... What am I missing here?

User Info: Zelcron

Zelcron
10 years ago#10
Wait, so if the Combine and the "benefactors" are one and the same, why was Dr. Breen saying that he wanted to prove that they (the humans of the Combine, such as the soldiers you fight) were the best of the race. He said he wanted to prove that to the benefactors but if they are the benefactors... What am I missing here?

I think you misheard; he wants to prove to the benefactors (the combine) that humans can be a useful part of the collective, but most of the human population on Earth does not view the combine as beneficial.

---
Zelcron (35) | Board List | Topic List | Intrigued, yet cautious | Post New Message | Track Topic
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/11714107741.gif
  1. Boards
  2. The Orange Box
  3. The Half Life 2 Plot Up To Nova Prospekt *Posible Spoilers*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived