• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Half-Life 2: Episode Three
  3. In response to those who say Shephard isn't cannon

User Info: ShadowNeverDies

ShadowNeverDies
10 years ago#1

Your wrong, do your research Valve has hinted at the character making some kind of cameo later on. And the Gman didn't see him as equal to Freeman, he only saved him because he admired Sheppard. Also in Blue Shift, that is the Barney that is in HL2. You don't know what you're talking about. Is it likely that he won't show up again, yeah, but Valve has awknowledged that he exists in the Half-Life universe.

Here's proof:

Shephard has not been seen in Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One or Half-Life 2: Episode Two but has, however, retained a large number of fans among players of the game. Gabe Newell has hinted that he may one day return.[1] When asked by Eurogamer when that day will be, Doug Lombardi said that, although Valve has no secret Shephard project in the works at the moment, they would like to use Shephard again in the future. He added that Shephard had resonated well with players and with Valve when they heard the pitch for Opposing Force.[2]

Some had thought that Shephard might be the protagonist for Valve's game Portal due to the main weapon, the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (ASHPD), bearing the initials A.S.H.P.D. - Adrian Shephard. However, Gabe Newell remarked that this was a 'total freak coincidence' and that Shephard would not appear in the game.[3]

As Shephard witnesses Gordon Freeman's transportation to Xen, the player has the option to follow him through the teleporter before it collapses. However, if this happens, Shephard will find himself teleported to a location in Xen several meters away from Gordon and then fall through space. Doing so will produce the message: "Evaluation terminated: Subject attempted to create a temporal paradox."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Shephard

User Info: Cpryd001

Cpryd001
10 years ago#2
Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (ASHPD), bearing the initials A.S.H.P.D. - Adrian Shephard.

-------------------
That single-handedly is the weakest link I have ever seen. It's just... awful.

Shepard, he'll be back. Somebody has to LEAD the remaining humans to victory. What, we're going to trust our hands on a scientist? I think not!

User Info: betatech

betatech
10 years ago#3
that portal ref is an easter egg, although in portal 2 it could be that he was in fact the first to escape.

the fact is valve has a right to make a player canon or not, but the fact is gearbox have made it so that he can return at any point if they (valve) choose to.

They same goes for those other scientists to escape in Blue shift, they are there for valve to use if they choose to.

As of now however it the canonisity is no good discussing since it doesnt matter until Valve decide what and who is.

If you want him canon then contact valve yourself or create a petition.

User Info: Zondergrod

Zondergrod
10 years ago#4
The fanbase for Adrain is already as big as a hurricane and twice as loud, I think it's safe to say a petition would not be nessesary.

User Info: organic_machine

organic_machine
10 years ago#5
Valve has said again and again that, while Shepherd may or may not be a cannon character, they don't plan on touching on anything OF. In other words, I think it was said along the lines of: if you think it's not cannon, it isn't. If you think it is, it is. We're not going to touch it. JUST because Valve may introduce Adrian at some point, doesn't mean that Race X and the government conspiracy is cannon. It just means that Shepherd is. Valve might say Shepherd is but they will NEVER say that Race X and the government conspiracy are. Sorry, TC.

User Info: Raditz_Mage

Raditz_Mage
10 years ago#6
Blue Shift and Opposing Force are canon. They're included in the HL1 Anthology, a product released entirely by Steam, and are supported as such.
"Babelfish: Inside cave north, go! Treasure, super power awesome! As for evil of monster, weapon get!" - SHZ

User Info: Planescaped

Planescaped
10 years ago#7
I am certain Valve will use Shepard at one point or another. (I'd like to see him return as a villain in HL3 since I think in ep:3 Gman will lose control of Gordon) But as for the story of opposing force, besides the nuking of Black mesa the rest is not canon and will not be seen again.
The clouds pass... the rain does its work and all individual beings flow into their forms." The Book of Changes

User Info: obi-wanster

obi-wanster
10 years ago#8

shepard evil? thats like saying gordan freeman is really a girl.

not gonna happen he has nothing to lose so he may as well try to get out best he can. plus i'm sure gordan freeman would help him....hes a docter too you know.

plus the gman knows what power the two hold if they work together

User Info: Zondergrod

Zondergrod
10 years ago#9
How the hell can Shepard be canon, but all his actions and everything he saw is not?
That makes no logical, of even fantastical sense.

User Info: organic_machine

organic_machine
10 years ago#10

Zondergrod posted...
How the hell can Shepard be canon, but all his actions and everything he saw is not?
That makes no logical, of even fantastical sense.

Easy. You simply rewrite Shepherd's history. It makes perfect sense. Shepherd is a great character. But the story behind him does not make sense. So, simply reintroduce Shepherd and denounce and rewrite his history.

He can still be a marine from black mesa. But Race X? Come on, Valve is never ever going to touch it.

1. Boards
  2. Half-Life 2: Episode Three
  3. In response to those who say Shephard isn't cannon
  • Topic Archived