• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Why does the internet hate this game?
Here's the thing, it's not the worst game to exist but it's certainly nothing to write home about either. For me personally, it's simply average at best. I have a lot of complaints with it and I'm no longer interested in replaying it anymore, but there were some things I liked about it.

The way it was handled was downright poor during release and it left a bad taste in many of our mouths.

I don't hate it. There are times it still frustrates me with what it could have been. I have no interest in replaying it because the first half is such a slog (even when skipping the sidequests). But at the end of the day, it was okay for what it offered.

I'm in the minority here, but I actually liked ff13 (and 13-2), especially the main cast. Do I think it's the best game ever? No. I can definitely see its flaws. I agree that the story could come off as confusing at times, but -- being an advisor reader -- I've seen worse writing/stories.

Definitely give the Final Fantasy 7 Remake a try.
here to enjoy discussing games ~
Cogito 1 month ago#12
guy12345 posted...

My first (and only) experience was the Royal Edition, so there's that too

That's probably the difference. Royal edition replaced the vanilla edition, which the latter is the main cause of complaints. Imagine you play without the dlc content, then square expects you pay extra for royal dlc content.
Hito wa mikake ni yoranu mono
http://imgur.com/cFMo9gI
Rharyx211 1 month ago#13
Disjointed story, undeveloped characters, and clunky gameplay.

On top of that, the transition from Vs13 to 15 rubbed people the wrong way, and even people who kept with it and tempered their expectations didn't like how much of the original concept they scrapped.

It's not awful, it's just underwhelming. It's relaxing to turn it on and just drive around with the boys in a "turn off your brain" kind of way, but it's not a super deep or well put-together experience.

(Also, yeah, the Royal Edition + the DLC improved a lot of stuff, so playing that as opposed to the vanilla edition is a whole thing.)
Watch "Final Fantasy XV Abridged" and "Kingdom Hearts Abridged" right here!
https://www.youtube.com/user/mcknett3
SolaFide 1 month ago#14
I don't hate the game, but with me I was just so disappointed that it didn't live up to my expectations. I had been invested in the world, style, music, and art of the game for many, many years before the game was actually released. I didn't think that the game lived up to its enormous potential, and a lot of its most egregious mistakes were so easily avoidable that I still for the life of me cannot understand what Tabata was thinking when he signed on to them.

I will say in the game's favor: Yoko Shimomura delivered one of the best soundtracks ever, the theme of brotherhood was really moving, and I appreciated that for once the religious themes of the storyline were actually pro-Christian in a lot of ways. Gameplay was fun but way too easy. It's amazing to me that they didn't think to put in hard mode and improve the game's replay value.
The men doing the vital things of life are those who read the Bible and are Christians and not ashamed to let the world know it.
-Booker T. Washington
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Designed around Noctis only
  2. Disjointed story that falls into nonsense after you board the boat, and in-your-face DLC marketing with the missing parts
  3. Bland characters
  4. Hyping it up for myself too much due to the way they marketed it with fake trailers (Nomuraaa...!)
As a day one player, it really was a sour FF experience. Before the boat it was pretty great because finding royal arms was fun, the dungeons were well-designed experiences, camping was nice and the visuals are beautiful. But having followed it since the versus days, the false advertising and dropped stuff was simply disappointing. Good game but just disappointing in the departments where it needed to shine to compare to great FFs: characters, story and gameplay variety with the different characters.

I don't hate the game, but I was a bit upset how it turned out because it had potential to be so much better.
(edited 1 month ago)
guy12345 1 month ago#16
So the general consensus I'm getting is that the people who were following its development the longest, even in the Versus days, hate it the most.

I'm guessing I really benefitted from playing this game first on the Royal Edition in 2021, with no prior knowledge or info about it. As mentioned in my OP, I was out of gaming entirely from 2007 or so till a couple years ago. So I had no knowledge of the hype cycle of this game at all
1Tekkaman 1 month ago#17
guy12345 posted...
So the general consensus I'm getting is that the people who were following its development the longest, even in the Versus days, hate it the most.

I'm guessing I really benefitted from playing this game first on the Royal Edition in 2021, with no prior knowledge or info about it. As mentioned in my OP, I was out of gaming entirely from 2007 or so till a couple years ago. So I had no knowledge of the hype cycle of this game at all
I wasn't following the development much until shortly before release. Wasn't the hype cycle that made it a crime against RPGs.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
"I believe that the only purpose that games have is to enrich the hard life we live." Fumito Ueda
guy12345 1 month ago#18
Well I've been playing RPGs since the NES days when I played the very first Final Fantasy, so I think I know more than you.
(edited 1 month ago)
1Tekkaman 1 month ago#19
guy12345 posted...
Well I've been playing RPGs since the NES days when I played the very first Final Fantasy, so I think I know more than you.
Really. Doesn't change the fact that the world is largely empty and the story a chopped-up mess. Among other things.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
"I believe that the only purpose that games have is to enrich the hard life we live." Fumito Ueda
marko7 1 month ago#20
guy12345 posted...
You'd also know more than Tekkaman by actually having played XV. They have openly admitted to not having played it, which makes their hot takes all the more comical.

Pay them no attention. To put it bluntly, they're full of s***.
Made you look
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Why does the internet hate this game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A