• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Why does the internet hate this game?
guy12345 1 month ago#1
I'm 42, been playing the FF series since the very first one, a fateful day when I walked into a local video rental store with the intention of renting Slalom, but it was rented out. So my eye was then drawn to an intriguing box with the words "Final Fantasy" on it...

But anyway, in the mid 2000s or so I got out of gaming for a long time. 12 was the last FF I played. In the last few years I got back into gaming and of course one of the first things I wanted to do was play the games in my beloved Final Fantasy that I had missed. I noticed 13 and 15 were generally disliked by the internet. Well, I first played 13 and it was......fairly terrible. Incomprehensible story (the game starts and they are already talking about L'Cie and Fal'cie and you're like "what the f***?") and characters I cared nothing about. Did have a cool battle system though.

So considering the internet was "right" about 13 I had low expectations going into 15. However, I really liked this game a lot, and it was a breath of fresh air after 13. No idea why it gets so much hate. The story was almost great. It really could have been great if executed properly but it was told in a disjointed way and relied too much on the DLC. But there was greatness hidden in there, which is more than I can say for 13, which was crap all around.

And unlike the terrible characters of 13, I loved the bros. They are among the best characters in the whole series and among the ones I cared the most about. I loved going on this road trip with them. Really they did a fantastic job in this area.

Overall, this is a flawed game that had greatness in it, but didn't quite achieve it. Still I enjoyed it overall and give it an 7/10
(edited 1 month ago)
SrRd_RacinG 1 month ago#2
How would you compare it to Final Fantasy 7 remake?

Was considering this game just for its combat. But I'm not too sure now.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3vRn3I4UyDoKyWLC/giphy.gif
guy12345 1 month ago#3
Have not played FF7R
TomorrowDog 1 month ago#4
I mean you said it yourself that the plot is broken. Besides all the cut corners and rewrites it fundamentally has problems. The "bros on a road trip" angle is fun but also in complete contradiction to the plotline, where it quickly comes to pass the MC's kingdom has fallen, his father killed, and he as the heir is being actively hunted in hostile territory.

For me, it is hard to find much resonance when the writing is that incohesive. I'm not invested in the characters if their behavior doesn't make sense in the context of the adventure.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP7lOxq8wmo8EACam5yamFuseoWkDOplr
GameFAQs Lounge playlist.
gaubeoo 1 month ago#5
Hype and overexpectation killed this game. Most players who first exposure to FFXV is Royal Editon Edition tend to be less harsh and critical of the game.
AsIfByMagic 1 month ago#6
To me the story (which I still enjoyed more than a lot of people) isn't really a dealbreaker. XII was worse and I still enjoy the game, VIII was worse too. Basically even the best JRPGs have stories that aren't amazing, and most are just kinda okay. I liked the combat, the feel of the road trip travelling around and the world. It has the best soundtrack since X by far too.

SrRd_RacinG posted...
How would you compare it to Final Fantasy 7 remake?

Was considering this game just for its combat. But I'm not too sure now.
I enjoyed the combat more in XV, but that's a minority opinion. Mostly I enjoyed 7R, but there are way too many flying enemies that aren't fun. I would also say that for all the s*** XV's story gets, there is nothing in it I hated anywhere near as much as the whispers plot.
guy12345 1 month ago#7
gaubeoo posted...
Hype and overexpectation killed this game. Most players who first exposure to FFXV is Royal Editon Edition tend to be less harsh and critical of the game.

My first (and only) experience was the Royal Edition, so there's that too
KrankyKat 1 month ago#8
I'm 53 (well, I was a little younger when FFXV first released...) and have never played any other FF, so my opinion is invalid. ;p

....jokes aside, I love this game, but I've never disagreed about some of the main flaws that many like to point out, either. They certainly exist. I just didn't find them to ruin the visceral enjoyment/fun while obsessively playing.
9900k|2080ti-ftw3|32ddr4-3200|970 Pro SSD - Diablo1 runs fantastic
guy12345 1 month ago#9
KrankyKat posted...
I'm 53 (well, I was a little younger when FFXV first released...) and have never played any other FF, so my opinion is invalid. ;p

....jokes aside, I love this game, but I've never disagreed about some of the main flaws that many like to point out, either. They certainly exist. I just didn't find them to ruin the visceral enjoyment/fun while obsessively playing.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. the game has flaws, but overall was an enjoyable experience. wasn't terrible like FF13
1Tekkaman 1 month ago#10
Because it's bad.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
"I believe that the only purpose that games have is to enrich the hard life we live." Fumito Ueda
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Why does the internet hate this game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A