• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. *SPOILERS* What were the majority issues with this game?

User Info: TwoBits54

TwoBits54
2 months ago#1
I’m 4.5 years late, I know, but I just beat the game.
The only thing I knew about the game was that there was a timeskip. I didn’t know where in the game or anything else.
I’ve heard ALOT of hate about this game and I know with every new game there will be a decent amount of hate but this one seemed to really get hit.
Ive enjoyed every FF I’ve played. 13 is on the top of the list for me even and I know that game received a lot of hate. I also can understand some of the hate.

But seeing as how I was super late to beating this game and being spoiler free, I don’t know exactly what the hate is. So... what made this game so “bad”?

Honestly, I enjoyed it. The combat was kinda “eh” and I miss having real abilities and magic.
At first I wasn’t liking Prompto all that much but he grew on me throughout the game. Especially when Luna does and Gladiolus becomes a dick for no reason. By the end of the game he was more annoying than Prompto and shot way down to my least favorite FF characters. Not like the characters have amazing back stories or anything to make you like them. Ignus was great in every way. Noctis was great as well, he wasn’t a anti-social mopy character like half of the 3D FFs (Cloud, Squall, Lightning) even though I like all 3 of them.

Just a discussion is all. What was hated about FF15?
XBL: TwoBits54
PSN: TwoBits54

User Info: LordRattergun

LordRattergun
2 months ago#2
None. The game sold 8 million copies and had fantastic critical reviews.

Only trolls hated this game.
Rattergun, you are truly a hero for our times. - Recoome_is_god
http://i.imgur.com/dUNdc.jpg

User Info: Manannananam

Manannananam
2 months ago#3
LordRattergun posted...
None. The game sold 8 million copies and had fantastic critical reviews.

Only trolls hated this game.

Only trolls? How can you sit there and pretend to honestly say there's nothing wrong with this game?

The combat system is a mess. The camera is terrible. The pacing is atrocious. There's constant annoying prompts (I swear, if I saw Ignis tell me that the night is scary ONE MORE TIME). They tried adding way too many mechanics and never refined any of them. Driving is fun but absolutely annoying with the uncontrollable parking and constantly stopping at night because there's some enemy 500 km away. Pointless invisible walls. Constantly changing when you can run or warp, with no indication of when the game decided you're in an area where you can no longer do that, that seems to be completely random areas.

The game is great in terms of story and atmosphere. But if you're going to pretend that this game doesn't have a great deal of problems... I would venture to say YOU are the troll.

User Info: Xerun

Xerun
2 months ago#4
Depends on your version. It’s been years since I played it. But here’s off the top of my head:

Story was butchered. It was split between so much media and a lot of the setup villains felt tossed to the side.

Character story’s were cut for DLC.

The “Apocalypse World” and return to the home town felt quickly done with little effort.

getting rid of the open world aspect towards the end.

Side quests amounted to essentially fetch quests.

Chapter 13’s hallway with the ring. (This I know has been patched since I played it)

in the end it felt like it was rushed. I’ve since heard that in order to make a lot of the contract deadlines it was rushed in 2 years. It had its pros but ultimately felt unfinished. I’ve not played the DLC or Royal edition which I hear fixes a lot. But at the same time I’ve not had much want to go and play it.
Currently Playing: Monster Hunter World

User Info: TallWhiteNinja

TallWhiteNinja
2 months ago#5
Mostly, it's a case of wasted potential:

• Story is chopped among the main game, Kingsglave, and the DLC, and even THEN it's not really complete. The pieces of a fantastic story are there, they just weren't properly assembled
  • The pacing of everything after Altissia is awful, as is that entire stretch being on rails (as opposed to the open world of the rest of it).
  • Related to the above, a lot of things that would have been cool to explore and felt like they SHOULD have been in the game, but aren't (Tenebrae, World of Ruin)
  • The combat, while I liked it for the most part, is trivialized by items and being able to phoenix down after being knocked on your ass
  • Magic is weird and tends to nuke your bros if you want to use it
To be fair, I liked this game a fair bit. If the post-Altissia stuff had more meat on the bones, the plot was more fleshed out, and combat was tweaked ever-so-slightly, it would have been an extremely good game. As it stands, it's a monument to what could have been.
SMM: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/TallWhiteNinja
SMM2: 04N-L7S-RVG
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: slmcknett

slmcknett
2 months ago#6
  • Incomplete story.
  • Empty open world.
  • Half-assed combat.
  • No character development.
  • Have to pay more and more for content that should've been in the base game.
  • Side quests are basically all fetch quests.
Watch "Final Fantasy XV Abridged" and "Kingdom Hearts Abridged" right here!
https://www.youtube.com/user/mcknett3

User Info: Steve_McCroskey

Steve_McCroskey
2 months ago#7
TwoBits54 posted...
I don’t know exactly what the hate is. So... what made this game so “bad”?

In light of the fact that you've beaten the game, I don't see what's to be gained by sullying that experience with a trip down Misery Lane. But if you must know then I'd suggest you read through the topics posted here circa launch. That's what they're there for.

To all world governments; next time the W.H.O or Bill Gates repeatedly inform you of an impending biological disaster, try listening.

User Info: TwoBits54

TwoBits54
2 months ago#8
slmcknett posted...
* Incomplete story.
* Empty open world.
* Half-assed combat.
* No character development.
* Have to pay more and more for content that should've been in the base game.
* Side quests are basically all fetch quests.
I don’t know, you start your journey, beat the villain, and the main character dies in the process. Seems pretty complete to me.

The open world seemed fine with me. Not sure what the complaint of being empty is.

The combat, yes pretty bland but at this point with every Final Fantasy being different in terms of combat and level up system, I’m not holding it against the game itself. Most have been great so one bland combat system isn’t terrible. I will say there could have been more to it though.

Character development, yes I can agree on that. That’s usually one of my favorite parts of these games. Though you’re with your party from the beginning and you have the same goal. You know what everybody’s role is so it’s not like you need to learn a whole lot about them.

DLC, that’s the point. And for $5? Pretty cheap. No complaints there.

Side Quests nowadays are usually fetch quests. Kinda gotten used to them in games.
XBL: TwoBits54
PSN: TwoBits54

User Info: slmcknett

slmcknett
2 months ago#9
TwoBits54 posted...
And for $5? Pretty cheap. No complaints there.
It was definitely not 5 bucks when it came out.

I'm pretty sure the first season pass itself was like 20. Then there was the royal edition stuff and Episode Ardyn at the tail end.

TwoBits54 posted...
I don’t know, you start your journey, beat the villain, and the main character dies in the process. Seems pretty complete to me.
The story starts in a movie, everyone's backstories are either cut off and put in an anime miniseries or held back for another year and sold to us as DLC, then the rest of the story got canceled. We didn't even get the main villain's backstory until 2019.

If you're only just playing the game for the first time this year, of course none of these problems are going to be noticed by you. You got the updated version of the game after three years worth of story patches and DLC. So consider yourself fortunate.

In the original game, the final dungeon wasn't even fully explorable.
Watch "Final Fantasy XV Abridged" and "Kingdom Hearts Abridged" right here!
https://www.youtube.com/user/mcknett3
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: dkgerbil2

dkgerbil2
2 months ago#10
For me the issue is that the final product wasn't the one advertised. I knew I wasn't getting the same game as Versus XIII, but I expected the things in the trailers from its rebrand to XV on to still be in the game. That wasn't the case. I was enjoying the game up until you take the boat to Altissia. Even the city itself was still fun. The game went to s*** when the Leviathan attack happened and Luna died. Stella and trailer Luna seemed to be a character very involved in the story and I was really looking forward to her being more involved in the plot somehow. Instead, you find her and she's gone shortly after. They said they renamed her from Stella to Luna and felt that Stella had no place in the game because she was a damsel in distress, but ultimately that's what we ended up with in Luna: a character whose only purpose was to further the development of her male counterpart. She was exactly what they said they didn't like about the original character but worse because she died with no chance for redemption.

The story at that point was irredeemable for me. I didn't mind the train section, I didn't mind the Empire or any of that. I disliked that the city was largely unplayable but that wasn't the worst thing in the world for me. I just really, really hated that the story that had such an exciting premise just turned into a bunch of threads that never went anywhere and resolved with half baked answers. The fact that it wasn't finished is very clear and the game suffered massively as a result. At least FFXIII had a datalog that fleshed out the story to fill in gaps with the shoddy narrative. XV doesn't even get that and large chunks of the story are seemingly cut DLC that we'll never get.
All my friends are in bar bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facVh75-vW4
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. *SPOILERS* What were the majority issues with this game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A