• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. So I played FFXII on PS4...it ain't as good as FFX.

User Info: scabab

scabab
2 weeks ago#1
I made a thread like this for FFIX about a half a year ago, well today I finished FFXII Zodiac Age so I'm gonna compare it to the other main PS2 title, FFX.

Quick recap, I played FFX in 2002 and again in 2004, it quickly became my favourite game and stayed that way for about a decade. I got FFXII, like most people I didn't think it was as good. I struggled to get into that one and even preferred XIII initally.

Well both came out on PS4 and I've now played and finished both. XII is actually a good game and better than I thought but it's not nearly as good as X.

1. The story isn't nearly as good as in X. Where X had a original, character driven story, XII did not. It wasn't an original story as it was callback to previous games about an evil empire and a band of rebels trying to take them down. There's not as much focus on the characters in this one and instead it just involves you having to go from A to B to get some artifact and then to C to get another one and so on.

Not bad but not great. One of the weaker ones amongst the PlayStation era.

2. The characters are no good. There's one good character in the game and that's Balthier, the rest are average or worse. This is known anyway, the FFX cast are still popular today whereas the cast from XII have never been. Vaan is notorious for serving no real point in the second half of the plot. Penelo is even worse for it, there for the sake of it. Ashe, Fran and Basch are alright but forgettable. Vayne again is alright but not a great villain, about on par with Seymour. Probably the only other good character was Larsa.

Whereas the cast of X are likable, fleshed out, a well knit group with good chemistry between them, XII has the worst cast of any of the PlayStation era games even worse than XIII.

3. The battle system is fairly boring. X had the best battle system of any of the games. With XII it is 90% Gambit set up after that the game can just play itself. I have beaten several bosses in the game without pressing so much as one button.

I like that theres no transitioning for the battles so you aren't constantly interrupted with loading and that's about it. Otherwise it's not fun, I was using the left stick to run from battle to battle and I was mowing down everyone without doing anything else way too often.

4. The music is objective but I don't think it's got as many memorable tracks in comparison. Except for the main theme which is the iconic series theme none of them really stand out.

5. One thing that is the arguable is the world. It is a large world, probably the closest to feeling like a world. It's a lot bigger than FFX anyway but it's also probably too big. A lot of the time it feels like padding going through all these areas to get to the next story beat. FFX didn't have that problem and so it's pacing was much better.

6. There's no variety to the gameplay outside of running and battling. They've got optional stuff like the Hunts but it's still all the same thing. FFX had blitzball which was a lot of fun once you got into it and mixed up the monotony. FFXII has nothing like that or the Bike Chases/Snowboarding of VII or the Tetra Master of IX.

But all that aside it is still a good game, I can understand why people don't favour it as much. I was definitely wrong in thinking XIII was better than it but again amongst the PlayStation era of Final Fantasy main games, it is one of the weaker ones.

Having also recently gone through VII and IX I can confidently rank them as

1. Final Fantasy X
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Final Fantasy IX
4. Final Fantasy XII

User Info: Montblanc

Montblanc
2 weeks ago#2
So basically, you're another Final Fantasy X fanboy whose opinion on XII is irrelevant.
In vainglory they arose, shouting challenges at the gods. But prevail they did not. Their doom it was to walk the Mist until Time's end.

User Info: LuckyMouse

LuckyMouse
2 weeks ago#3
Battle system as boring as can be, maps feeling too big for their own good, characters just tagging along and not doing much, story just kind of happening...

Yup, that's FF12 alright.

At least the Zodiac age has frame skip to combat the game's monotony.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Blair85

Blair85
2 weeks ago#4
Cool story bro, I like it, but feel free to have your opinion

User Info: jordina

jordina
2 weeks ago#5
Its one of the better games but id still put 3 entries above it because the story falls off a cliff halfway through.

User Info: marko7

marko7
2 weeks ago#6
I loved both games, and I thought both of them had great battle systems though I'd give XII a slight edge over X for having fixed job classes and no random encounters.

The main cast do take a back seat in XII, which is a shame because the voice acting is vastly superior to X's.

I love the music in both games too and find that there are many memorable tracks in both of them; they both just have very distinct styles.

I'd have to disagree with your evaluation of Vayne and comparing him to Seymour. He isn't anything like Seymour at all and is actually one of the more complex villains in the whole series. He isn't comically evil like most FF villains; he literally has the same goals as Ashe - that being striving for peace. The difference is, he's willing to achieve it through any means necessary, which happens to be through sheer might.

Which is quite ironic actually. He's using powerful magicite against the gods will to achieve this and then those same gods attempt to convince Ashe to use the same weapons to punish him for it. Ashe, who's judgement was initially clouded by vengeance, sees that this would make her no better than Vayne, and chooses to destroy those very weapons the gods wish her to utilise and aims for a more diplomatic approach to peace via Larsa.

Vayne is a more "morally grey area" kind of antagonist, which is extremely rare in the final fantasy series.
Made you look

User Info: LOLZuMadBro

LOLZuMadBro
2 weeks ago#7
Play VI
uMad?

User Info: Karnage4208238

Karnage4208238
2 weeks ago#8
i will admit i have a grudge against XII that is never going to go away no matter how much TZA might of fixed the original ps2 release and while X may be better then it its still utter trash without save editing for me since without it it has the most and most severe amounts of "how **** i never want to deal with this again" moments in all of gaming but with save editing the game is fun as all hell and a blast to playthrough
Cletus Kasady/Carnage Is The Greatest Villain Of All Time
S'up Im Karnage The Ultimate Cheater I Love to Cheat If You Don't Like It It's Your Problem Not Mine
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: Fudanshi

Fudanshi
2 weeks ago#9
It used to be good until they decided to nerf the difficulty...twice.

Anyways, I disagree with literally everything you said, except the story.
The story was pretty bad.
"Papa, I have to say one more thing before we leave. ...Rrrgh rawrggh rrh! That's dragon for "I love you!"
- The Most Precious Thing in existence

User Info: sano83

sano83
2 weeks ago#10
Yeah, I dont agree with any of the points you made.

scabab posted...
1. The story isn't nearly as good as in X. Where X had a original, character driven story, XII did not. It wasn't an original story as it was callback to previous games about an evil empire and a band of rebels trying to take them down. There's not as much focus on the characters in this one and instead it just involves you having to go from A to B to get some artifact and then to C to get another one and so on.

The story from Final Fantasy X is go from A to B. And then, when there is a quarter or less from a game, maybe deviate a bit from your path. A callback from the older games isnt something bad at all.

scabab posted...
2. The characters are no good. There's one good character in the game and that's Balthier, the rest are average or worse. This is known anyway, the FFX cast are still popular today whereas the cast from XII have never been. Vaan is notorious for serving no real point in the second half of the plot. Penelo is even worse for it, there for the sake of it. Ashe, Fran and Basch are alright but forgettable. Vayne again is alright but not a great villain, about on par with Seymour. Probably the only other good character was Larsa.

While I dont like about half of the cast of Final Fantasy XII, I dont like ANYONE from Final Fantasy X. They all range from dumb to stupid. The only exception is Auron, who is just a jerk. And dont even have a good guest or even NPC. Not to mention that they are dressed with the most stupid clothes. It is almost like the characters themselves picked what to wear. Obviously Lulu picked them last, and the jerks only left belts for her, so she had to wear that stupid skirt made out of them.
Seymour is one of the worst villians of the franchise.

scabab posted...
Whereas the cast of X are likable, fleshed out, a well knit group with good chemistry between them

Specially between Wakka and Rikku =P. Man, what a pair of morons.

scabab posted...
3. The battle system is fairly boring. X had the best battle system of any of the games. With XII it is 90% Gambit set up after that the game can just play itself. I have beaten several bosses in the game without pressing so much as one button.

As you said, you set it yourself. Not to mention that you can disable it. There is no urgency on Final Fantasy X, with the strenght of the PlayStation 2, there is no reason to have all your characters lined up against a line of enemies.
Battle system was fun until endgame where you can do 99999 with Lulu regular attack.

scabab posted...
I like that theres no transitioning for the battles so you aren't constantly interrupted with loading and that's about it. Otherwise it's not fun, I was using the left stick to run from battle to battle and I was mowing down everyone without doing anything else way too often.

What is really the difference between the game picking what you say to pick and you having to pick what you where going to pick in the first place?

scabab posted...
4. The music is objective but I don't think it's got as many memorable tracks in comparison. Except for the main theme which is the iconic series theme none of them really stand out.

You mean subjetive.
VS>FFT>FF IX=DA:O>FF V=CC=PE2>FF VIII=FF XII=ME3=CT>FF VII=PE>FF III>FF X=FF IV>FF VI
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. So I played FFXII on PS4...it ain't as good as FFX.
  • Topic Closed