do you want ff to be open world?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. do you want ff to be open world?

User Info: renegadedriver

renegadedriver
3 months ago#1
seems the lastest gaming trend is lets make a open world. in some cases it works. in others it doesnt. im not asking if you think that ff15 should have been made a open world.

in the past we had a world map that allowed some exploration but didnt function as a open world. there didnt seem to be a problem with it. then we moved to ffx, where the game was a linar map, but disguised it pretty well. after that we got ff12. which had zones you could explore. ff13 had hallways and we all know most people didnt like that idea.

but with a open world format you have to be careful with the story your wanting to tell. it also has to have loads of content so the player doesnt get bored. most people are demanding witcher 3 sidequests in the openworld. so what im asking is do you think that ff should be open world?

i dont think it has to be. ff has always been a heavy narrative focus series. those are hard to tell in a open world format. we have seen some japanese companies attempt this before with varing results. tales of zestiria, ff15, dragons dogma, and ni no kumi come to mind.

but some of the better rpgs ive played over the years still work off the old world map system or have zones you go through. i just dont see the point of forcing ff into a constant open world status from now on. every now and then sure. course i could just be suffering from fatigue from open world games in general.
aint no rest for the wicked, and money dont grow on trees, i got bills to pay and games to play, unlimited data what i need.

User Info: sano83

sano83
3 months ago#2
I want an open world game every 4 games.
I want a trow back game with a world map like Final Fantasy IV to Final Fantasy IX every 4 games.
The rest (two games before the circle start again) should be like Final Fantasy XII in the map aspect.
Know, live, become a frog!
VS>FFT>FF IX=DA:O>FF V=CC=PE2>FF VIII=FF XII=ME3=CT>FF X=FF VII=PE>FF III>FF IV>FF VI

User Info: JakeMordan

JakeMordan
3 months ago#3
I have no particular preference I've enjoyed linear games and open world games.

User Info: Brocknoth

Brocknoth
3 months ago#4
Only if it's done "right"
"You don't scare me. I play Touhou."
~ http://www.backloggery.com/brocknoth ~

User Info: sano83

sano83
3 months ago#5
Brocknoth posted...
Only if it's done "right"

This can be said about any other kind of map, though.
Know, live, become a frog!
VS>FFT>FF IX=DA:O>FF V=CC=PE2>FF VIII=FF XII=ME3=CT>FF X=FF VII=PE>FF III>FF IV>FF VI

User Info: mikey_205

mikey_205
3 months ago#6
I'd like a Xenoblade approach. Giant explorable areas connected by loading screens and a heavy emphasis on story. Linear dungeons within the areas.

If we can have it open world without sacrificing the story then that's my preference.

If I have to pick between hallway and open then I prefer latter though. FFXV is better than XIII for sure even in an incomplete state.
Pokemon X FC 4940-6875-7569

User Info: Kenneth_Writer

Kenneth_Writer
3 months ago#7
I'm more concerned about if its a good game or not rather than how its executed, but if its open world, then Witcher 3 actually is a good way to handle it mechanically because of how it loads areas without putting too much strain on the system.
Current LP - Horizon Zero Dawn
Casually playing - Corpse Party trilogy, Rune Factory 4, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, Final Fantasy X / X-2 and Atelier Escha.

User Info: Icecl_Keyheart

Icecl_Keyheart
3 months ago#8
Ff14/ff12 type worlds would be good

User Info: LuckyMouse

LuckyMouse
3 months ago#9
Do I think FF should be Open World?

No, I don't think it should be, it can be, sure, but it needn't be.

If it's done right, I don't mind what kind of "map system" is used.

User Info: WhyitEarp

WhyitEarp
3 months ago#10
I think open world has negatively affected more games than positively
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. do you want ff to be open world?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived