Has FFXV done better than FFXIII?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Has FFXV done better than FFXIII?

User Info: darkphoenix181

darkphoenix181
2 months ago#1
Just musing on whether the future of this series really is action rpg.

As you all are aware I am sure, FFXV is said to have been the fastest selling FF ever.

Sounds impressive right?
Well, actually:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII
In March 2010, Square Enix stated that Final Fantasy XIII was the fastest-selling title in the franchise's history.

Critical Reception Wise it seems similar to FFXIII as well. Mixed reviews. Some like it, some don't.

So, can we really say that an FF being arpg is better than one being atb? And if so, what is the major reason?

FFXV has reached the 6 million number faster than FFXIII however. Perhaps in the long run it will outpace FFXIII.
But then again, FFXIII did the same to it's predecessors as well.

One interesting difference for both FFXIII and FFXV compared to earlier titles was they were both on Sony and Xbox platforms.
chill02 to me: you are beautiful

User Info: NeithOF

NeithOF
2 months ago#2
XV is only the fastest selling because it's the only FF to have had a worldwide release.

XIII released in Japan in December of 2009 and NA/EU in March of 2010.
XIII was indeed the fastest selling, "fastest selling" for XV is just PR.
The realization of one of my dreams came with the beginning of a nightmare. - Roberto Ferrari 2016

User Info: darkphoenix181

darkphoenix181
2 months ago#3
NeithOF posted...
XV is only the fastest selling because it's the only FF to have had a worldwide release.

You are implying that XIII in reality sold faster than FFXV?
chill02 to me: you are beautiful

NeithOF
2 months ago#4
darkphoenix181 posted...
NeithOF posted...

You are implying that XIII in reality sold faster than FFXV?

Yes.

XV had 800k sales by its 3rd week in Japan and was knocked out of the top 5 best selling games in December.

XIII had more than 1 million sales in its 1st day in Japan.
XV had 478k in its 1st day in Japan.

If XV didn't have a worldwide release in its first day, it wouldn't be the "fastest selling".

SE saying XV is the fastest selling in the series was just PR. They showed you the tree but not the forest.

XV is the fastest selling by combining all the regions.
The realization of one of my dreams came with the beginning of a nightmare. - Roberto Ferrari 2016

User Info: Neofabito

Neofabito
2 months ago#5
Yes, Final Fantasy XV did better than XIII. Period.
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

User Info: IsJustJeremy

IsJustJeremy
2 months ago#6
Neith will twist anything to make XV sound bad, that worldwide release thing doesn’t change the fact that XV is indeed the fastest selling game. Sorry thats reality.

You think a difference of 3 months is going to change much? XV still sold more, even if we give it the same window XIII (JP) and XIII (NA/EU) releases were sold in.

NeithOF
2 months ago#7
IsJustJeremy posted...
Neith will twist anything to make XV sound bad, that worldwide release thing doesn’t change the fact that XV is indeed the fastest selling game. Sorry thats reality.

You th

Nice fanboy rumbling.

At least i am doing actual research and posting facts instead of just blindly falling for PR marketing strategies because it suits my agenda.

Also i don't see how what i said makes XV look bad.
The Japanese console market is dying, the PS4 in Japan is not as popular as the PS3 was in 2010, mobile gaming is also at its peak in Japan.

XV is highly westernized with a movie clearly made for the west, with western mock up actors and English lip sync (Japanese version was dubbed with no Japanese lip sync) and an open world design which is not all that mainstream there.

The movie also bombed in Japanese theaters.

The game just didn't sell as well as XIII did in Japan and if it didn't have a WW release it wouldn't be the fastest selling game in the series.

Simple as that. Take your s***ty fanboy glasses off.

User Info: CRIMSON-XIII

CRIMSON-XIII
2 months ago#8
if ff13 only sold 5.35m worldwide,

then 15 sold more in a shorter time easily.

based on common logical guess
Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy VII-Remake, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, NiNoKuni2, DragonQuestXI, Final Fantasy XVI

NeithOF
2 months ago#9
CRIMSON-XIII posted...
if ff13 only sold 5.35m worldwide,

On PS3.

You're not including the Xbox 360 sales, which is another 2 million units.
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/24628/final-fantasy-xiii/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7727/final-fantasy-xiii/

Not that vgchartz is credible, but it's where you took your number.

Edit:
XIII sales 1st week Japan: more than 1 million (1,501,964 is the official number but let's just leave it at 1 million so XV fanboys wont whine)
XIII sales 1st week NA: more than 1 million

XV sales 1st week in Japan: 690k
XV sales 1st week in NA: more than 1 million

Not including Europe because i can't be assed to find numbers but i doubt there would be much difference.
The fact is that both games had strong launch in NA/EU but XV didn't do as well in Japan. So it loses the "fastest" selling title by default.

Now if you want to argue that XV sold faster down the line, then i won't bother continuing. By that logic FF7 will be fastest selling forever because no other FF game has reached 14 million sales in 10 years. The "fastest" selling is only for the 1st month at MOST.

NeithOF
2 months ago#10
And this is my last post here, even the "XIII is the fastest selling" is bulls*** PR by SE and the same thing will happen with FFXVI.

XIII sales in first 3 weeks in Japan: 1,852,245

FF7 sales in first 3 weeks in Japan: 2,521,073

So how did XIII became the fastest selling FF title in the series in 2009?

PR bulls*** is how, most people wont do research and will just read the headlines, thus the casual gamer will go "wow the fastest selling? then it must be the best gotta buy it".

Stop falling for it.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Has FFXV done better than FFXIII?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived