• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Update 1.15 is out, Bestiary has lore

User Info: MMX377

MMX377
3 years ago#31
ofthetalesx posted...
So I'm curious... Since Ardyn could absorb daemons despite being the chosen one. Does this mean Noctis could have the ability (or learn it) as well? I always thought that Ardyn was both Chosen and Oracle. But with this new information, it's obvious he wasn't an oracle.

It makes me wonder, Noctis' path would have probably taken a different path ( maybe that of Omen? ) if this were the case.

I don't think so. Noctis does not have that ability like Ardyn had. Only the one person is Ardyn and he can handle to absorb daemons because he was a special person, unlike Noctis.

Omen trailer you saw is just an alternative future of Noctis.
"Get up!! Show me your true power!" Ryu's victory quote in SF3

User Info: Galvea

Galvea
3 years ago#32
Yeah, I've always wondered what was up with Ardyn's ability to absorb the parasites. Was he given the power by the Astrals, in which case the Astrals are truly a******s, or did he wake up with the power one day, or what? And was there no Oracle around to guide him?

I'm happy that there's a tiny smidgen more lore revealed now through the bestiary, especially the bit about Ifrit being the king of Solheim and the one who gifted mankind with "the flame of wisdom" -- new information not found even in the Scenario Ultimania. I would never have guessed that an Astral was actually the Solheim king.

That said, the localizations are all over the place yet again...

I checked the Japanese, English, and German descriptions for Ifrit and Shiva.

=Ifrit's Description=

Japanese version: Says Ifrit bestowed mankind with "the fire / flame of Wisdom", ie. not literally just fire, but knowledge and intelligence (?). Says he was the King of Solheim, but doesn't say anything about his Solheim subjects rebelling against him. Says that when he was resurrected via starscourge, the starscourge corrupted both his body and mind.

English version: Says Ifrit gave men the "gift of fire" (literally just fire?). Says Ifrit's "once-loyal subjects turned against him". Doesn't say anything about the corruption of his body and mind via starscourge resurrection.

German version: Says Ifrit was once "a lover of mankind" and that his gift of knowledge led to the success of the Solheim civilization. Doesn't say anything about Ifrit being the King of Solheim. Says the people of Solheim became drunk with power and turned against "the Gods" (not just Ifrit, ALL the gods). Has the line about the corruption of body ("externally") and mind ("internally") via starscourge.

=Shiva's description=

Japanese version: Says she is the "foil to Ifrit", ie. the yin to his yang, his polar opposite, you get the idea. Says nothing about her demise being "corporeal" or otherwise, only that she was defeated by the Niflheim army.

English version: Doesn't say anything about Shiva being the foil to Ifrit. Says that her demise was only "corporeal".

German version of Shiva's description: Doesn't say anything about Shiva being the foil to Ifrit, but says she was Ifrit's lover before he went mad. WTF. When did Ifrit go insane??

I haven't had the time to look at all the descriptions in the bestiary, but the ones for Ravus and Melusine are also slightly different. The text for Ravus in Japanese states outright that daemon Ravus wasn't actually fighting at full daemonic power because what little awareness he had left was actively holding his daemonic instincts back. The English and German versions mention the part about his surpressing his daemonic instincts, but not the fact that he wasn't fighting at full strength. The Japanese text for Melusine notes that she is "a new daemon that has only appeared recently", that her seductive appearance has led to all kinds of speculation among the hunters (in regards to her origin, I suppose?), and clearly states that all her victims have been men, no exceptions. These lines aren't in the English and German versions either...

My brain hurts. What the heck is going on with the localization teams?

User Info: ofthetalesx

ofthetalesx
3 years ago#33
MMX377 posted...
ofthetalesx posted...
So I'm curious... Since Ardyn could absorb daemons despite being the chosen one. Does this mean Noctis could have the ability (or learn it) as well? I always thought that Ardyn was both Chosen and Oracle. But with this new information, it's obvious he wasn't an oracle.

It makes me wonder, Noctis' path would have probably taken a different path ( maybe that of Omen? ) if this were the case.

I don't think so. Noctis does not have that ability like Ardyn had. Only the one person is Ardyn and he can handle to absorb daemons because he was a special person, unlike Noctis.

But the new info claims Ardyn was indeed the original Chosen King (before the Astrals banished him for absorbing the daemons/scourge). In the current time, that title now belongs to Noctis. Therefore, it makes me wonder if Noctis would have the ability to absorb them such as Ardyn did -- and if he did, it would most likely send him down the path of the alternate universe we see in Omen.

Either way, we definitely need to to learn more of Ardyn and his past, especially since it probably ties in with Ifrit. I imagine there are certain requirements to Ardyn's ability of absorbing daemons and it would be interesting to know what they are..

User Info: New_Recipayh

New_Recipayh
3 years ago#34
Are we sure that Ardyn was not an oracle? Because it is heavily implied in lore in-game and the supplamental materials that Ardyn was an oracle, or something similar, a healer.
VII>VIII>V>X>VI>XV>XII>IV>I>III>II>IX>XIII

User Info: MMX377

MMX377
3 years ago#35
ofthetalesx posted...
MMX377 posted...
ofthetalesx posted...

But the new info claims Ardyn was indeed the original Chosen King (before the Astrals banished him for absorbing the daemons/scourge). In the current time, that title now belongs to Noctis. Therefore, it makes me wonder if Noctis would have the ability to absorb them such as Ardyn did -- and if he did, it would most likely send him down the path of the alternate universe we see in Omen.

Either way, we definitely need to to learn more of Ardyn and his past, especially since it probably ties in with Ifrit. I imagine there are certain requirements to Ardyn's ability of absorbing daemons and it would be interesting to know what they are..

I don't think Noctis has the same ability from Ardyn because he's different. Noctis has own ability and it is an Armiger. Yes, Ardyn has it when he was Chosen One. You have to remember that he was used to be a healer and has another ability to absorb all daemons, which Noctis does not have. Noctis was never take or use it when he didn't learn. No one says Noctis must go and absorb the whole daemons when something overwhelms the world, just like Ardyn did 10,000 years ago.

In this story, when Noctis reaches the Crystal and asked for cleansing the daemon and save the world. The Crystal does not grant the wish, but it takes him into the inside of itself. The reason he doesn't absorb anything or whatever is the Crystal chose him for the full power and put him slumbering before Ardyn takes over the world.
"Get up!! Show me your true power!" Ryu's victory quote in SF3

User Info: tonberrymasta

tonberrymasta
3 years ago#36
sonaxscott posted...
lol the have the weights listed. I would have never guessed that a tonberry weighed 160lbs. That's more than a lot of the protagonists.

Unfortunately I have a sweet tooth...

User Info: DASchenk85

DASchenk85
3 years ago#37
i Had hoped that the bestiary would give us something in the vein of FF12

User Info: WhiteZeus

WhiteZeus
3 years ago#38
Ok ok... Can someone explain to me what makes Noctis the "Chosen" King?

If Ardyn started his plans 25 years earlier, then Regis would have been the Chosen King.. He would have to make the covenant with the astrals and since he has no child yet erase the bloodline.

Why did Ardyn wait for Noctis specifically? What makes him so special.

User Info: New_Recipayh

New_Recipayh
3 years ago#39
WhiteZeus posted...

If Ardyn started his plans 25 years earlier, then Regis would have been the Chosen King.. He would have to make the covenant with the astrals and since he has no child yet erase the bloodline.

Noctis wash chosen by the Crystal, specifically, he was the prophesized Chosen King before him, Regis, heck might before the current Lucis Caelum line was given birth, besides, maybe, Ardyn.
VII>VIII>V>X>VI>XV>XII>IV>I>III>II>IX>XIII

User Info: Maybe_Im_A_Lion

Maybe_Im_A_Lion
3 years ago#40
WhiteZeus posted...

The crystal chose Noctis. The gods can't seemingly force the crystal to pick someone, thus why the previous kings were no good for excorsizing the starscourge before Noctis was ready. The gods also don't mind waiting for Noctis as they seemingly really only care about the planet, and not about the people on it.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Update 1.15 is out, Bestiary has lore
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A