Should there be a law against developers selling DLC for more profits?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Should there be a law against developers selling DLC for more profits?
Is this your first game with dlc? It's a single player game no need to worry about getting it first since it has no online wait a year and the full/complete/goty version will be out for $50 this has been happening since the PS3...
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn255/5EMTwE/GFaqs/Houston.jpg

User Info: FrozenEvil1

FrozenEvil1
1 year ago#82
VanilleHopen posted...
Lets all be honest.. DLC is not being used for the correct reasons.. Developers are now purposely leaving out content from their full priced $60 games, to sell you at a later date to make even more money..

Square Enix $25 season pass DLC (which they already had planned in August despite the game not coming out until November) is a perfect example of this..

This is almost half the price of the full game at launch they are charging you to explain things that went on during the game, and give characters actual development that was sorely lacking from the main story like you see in most FF games.

I obviously won't be buying but this actually makes me sick to my stomach to all the people willing to put more money into square enix grubby little hands for this game..

This whole thing seems unethical.. Should there be a law that prevents developers from charging for DLC (free DLC and patches to fix their game and make up for their mistakes is fine) and purposely leaving out content for more profit?

If the country you live in does that, you will just end up with less content than the rest of the world. Without the option to get it. Does it really sound like a good idea now?

User Info: MiniVirus2

MiniVirus2
1 year ago#83
Well TC, as much as I still dislike dlc and I'm incline to agree with some of your points, I have to defend the business practice.

1. The "purposely leaving things out" argument is by and large speculation. In very few instances is there actual proof of this.

2. Game development costs for AAA/AA even B titles are astronomically higher than they use to be. If you want top tier games, developers need to increase their revenues. Without the added revenue stream, a lot of studios would probably be closed and the industry would contract considerably.

3. It's all optional after all. Yeah, you want the full experience and games like Dark Souls or Borderlands have handled DLC much better than some, but you don't have to buy every piece of DLC.

4. What's the alternative? $100 games? $120 games? Because if publishers can't have paid DLC in their games, they ARE going to raise the base price, which you can't have an arbitrary law written to prevent.

Gaming is a business, period. Get on board or get a new hobby. That's the reality.
R.I.P. DIO

User Info: HomingJoker

HomingJoker
1 year ago#84
DrachenBaren posted...
No law. There should only be laws to protect false advertising against companies directly claiming something is in a game, but actually requires additional purchases, which isn't the case here.

Gamers simply need to vote with their wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If the strategy doesn't work, they wouldn't do it.

No Man's Sky
Praise be to the one true God. The father and destructor of our very existence. The Legend, GiantDad.

User Info: Byuusetsu

Byuusetsu
1 year ago#85
There should be a law against gamers who constantly whine that every business practice they don't like needs a law against it.
PSN and Steam - Byuusetsu

User Info: Renzokukenexe

Renzokukenexe
1 year ago#86
MiniVirus2 posted...
Well TC, as much as I still dislike dlc and I'm incline to agree with some of your points, I have to defend the business practice.

1. The "purposely leaving things out" argument is by and large speculation. In very few instances is there actual proof of this.

The evidence for many games is there, on disk DLC, Day one DLC and in the case of FFXV leaving cliffhangers for DLC built into your game, are all proof.

2. Game development costs for AAA/AA even B titles are astronomically higher than they use to be. If you want top tier games, developers need to increase their revenues. Without the added revenue stream, a lot of studios would probably be closed and the industry would contract considerably.

See my previous post on page 8 regarding this.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/74835662/870359750

3. It's all optional after all. Yeah, you want the full experience and games like Dark Souls or Borderlands have handled DLC much better than some, but you don't have to buy every piece of DLC.

I think the OP is referring specifically to FFXV in which case he's right, the content cut directly effects our understanding of the story and more importantly the characters. I do agree with you for the most part though, although I'd go a step further and say if you don't want to be a negative influence on the industry you should restrict your DLC purchases to Dark Souls style expansions. Addon content developed after the games release to extend an already complete game is in my book DLC's only redeeming feature.

4. What's the alternative? $100 games? $120 games? Because if publishers can't have paid DLC in their games, they ARE going to raise the base price, which you can't have an arbitrary law written to prevent.

Gaming is a business, period. Get on board or get a new hobby. That's the reality.

Flat out wrong, as I said previously in the post I linked. Gaming is a market, raising prices does not mean developers will see increased profits, markets always adjust, and raising prices will mean a fall in sales as they price people out. If games are too expensive, they need to cut costs through innovation and increasing sales, as they always have.

User Info: DarthVashti

DarthVashti
1 year ago#87
It's their game. If they want to develop the game and two years worth of dlc all at once that's their choice. No one is forcing you to buy any of it including the game itself.

User Info: Aegis_Runestone

Aegis_Runestone
1 year ago#88
The name 'Expansion' only exists in MMOs these days as far as I can tell, everything else is DLC. It seems like DLC means everything from expansion pack to add-on costume, but this includes cut content.

Muramasa Rebirth (Vita), an enhanced port of a gem of a Wii game called Muramasa - The Demon Blade, had four 'DLC' packs. But they were not DLC IMO, they were expansions. Not bonus stuff, not cut content. Muramasa was already a complete game. The four 'DLC' expanded on the Muramasa storyline, heck, I believe one of them expanded on Jinkuro's (one of the main characters of the original game) background.

To me, those four 'DLC' packs are Expansion Packs.

From what I've heard of FF15, they have DLC--which is cut content in this situation. And cut content which is unforgivable. Ubisoft made this same mistake with Assassin's Creed: Revelations where a major plot point was only found in the DLC. The player only learned of this plot point in AC3 later, in a brief, not-very-well-explained way. :/

I'm sad to hear that Square rushed the product even after delaying it and are now released cut parts of the core game for more money. That's not excusable. As one poster said, vote with your wallet, don't buy the FF15 DLC if you don't want this practice to continue.

Support 'DLCs' like the Muramasa example I gave above, but as for ones like FF15 and the AC: Revelations one? Deny them.
Got a game you love that you don't see talked much about, but want to talk about? Join us here!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1112-the-lost-games

User Info: MarBeats

MarBeats
1 year ago#89
but yet people complain about tw3. cd projeckt red did it perfectly. After u beat the game u have soooo much more then u could have imagine in a dlc. in no way should a law banning dlc be passed to them. They did dlc right its absolutely perfect.
The Dragon Lords(Valheru Ashen-Shugar) The first Race ever. Look it up fool!!! Battle Madness worse then any Sayian!!

User Info: OpheliaAdenade

OpheliaAdenade
1 year ago#90
Go ask Donald Trump about it. :u
http://imgur.com/Q6Qj55q
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Should there be a law against developers selling DLC for more profits?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived