• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. To The People Unwilling To Accept Change

User Info: sensei06

sensei06
3 years ago#1
I find it funny that people complain about Final Fantasy games not being true Final Fantasy games or not living up to some creed or mission statement that I am unaware of. Square has been at the forefront of creating realistic looking game characters since Final Fantasy VIII (I remember how excited I was at the graphical improvement as I played the demo, still one of my favorite demos of all-time). As technologies improve that would include how characters move and interact with each other. I don't have anything against turn-based but I also don't want to go back to a party standing side by side and waiting for their time to attack. I like how the characters in XV work together for combos and visibly help each other when low on health. (Even XIII improved how you could change your parties roles on the fly.) I like games that push the industry and their genres forward. To the people who don't, go re-play I-X.
sensei06 posted...
I find it funny that people complain about Final Fantasy games not being true Final Fantasy games or not living up to some creed or mission statement that I am unaware of. Square has been at the forefront of creating realistic looking game characters since Final Fantasy VIII (I remember how excited I was at the graphical improvement as I played the demo, still one of my favorite demos of all-time). As technologies improve that would include how characters move and interact with each other. I don't have anything against turn-based but I also don't want to go back to a party standing side by side and waiting for their time to attack. I like how the characters in XV work together for combos and visibly help each other when low on health. (Even XIII improved how you could change your parties roles on the fly.) I like games that push the industry and their genres forward. To the people who don't, go re-play I-X.

Good thing IX is one of the best entires in the series exactly because it captures old school FF magic.
Currently playing: DQ Heroes

sensei06
3 years ago#3
Gandalf the Istari posted...
sensei06 posted...

Good thing IX is one of the best entires in the series exactly because it captures old school FF magic.

IX is one of my favorites also but XV has the potential to be one of the best rpgs ever.
sensei06 posted...
sensei06 posted...

IX is one of my favorites also but XV has the potential to be one of the best rpgs ever.

Not!XV/vsXIII might be a good arpg.

And maybe. People around here have already accepted that as fact.
Currently playing: DQ Heroes

User Info: MrGreed

MrGreed
3 years ago#5
sensei06 posted...

I'm fine with turn base. But IX felt way to slow when I played it last. Giving it another shot when the pc port comes out though.

To be clear I'm talking about the combat. Story seemed great. Also love Vivi he just so damn adorable.
PSN: Scharmberg

User Info: Ampharos64

Ampharos64
3 years ago#6
sensei06 posted...
I like how the characters in XV work together for combos and visibly help each other when low on health. (Even XIII improved how you could change your parties roles on the fly.) I like games that push the industry and their genres forward. To the people who don't, go re-play I-X.

Given that that's really not new at all (and it doesn't even have character switching), and so is hardly pushing the genre let alone the industry forward, seems perfectly valid for people to complain about the change in battle system. Action /= some kind of advance over turn-based, it's just different. Otherwise you'd instead have to argue that FF is incredibly backward and has been for ages, and still hasn't really caught up. Which I don't think is the case, there's nothing wrong with turn-based, if it's a good system.

sensei06
3 years ago#7
MrGreed posted...
sensei06 posted...

I'm fine with turn base. But IX felt way to slow when I played it last. Giving it another shot when the pc port comes out though.

To be clear I'm talking about the combat. Story seemed great. Also love Vivi he just so damn adorable.

It's been awhile but the story is great. It has some great characters. Be thankful you did not buy the original strategy guide, one of the worst ever made lol.

User Info: Rizeroth

Rizeroth
3 years ago#8
I love the new approach. It's still an FF game. It only has a new more awesome battle system. And people think that's what's been defining FF over the years. Makes me doubt whether they've ever played an FF game.

FFVIIR board accepted the change too but that's because they love FFVII too much that they'll do anything for damage control.
Our only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.- Cordelia from Fire Emblem Awakening

sensei06
3 years ago#9
Ampharos64 posted...
sensei06 posted...
I like how the characters in XV work together for combos and visibly help each other when low on health. (Even XIII improved how you could change your parties roles on the fly.) I like games that push the industry and their genres forward. To the people who don't, go re-play I-X.

Given that that's really not new at all (and it doesn't even have character switching), and so is hardly pushing the genre let alone the industry forward, seems perfectly valid for people to complain about the change in battle system. Action /= some kind of advance over turn-based, it's just different. Otherwise you'd instead have to argue that FF is incredibly backward and has been for ages, and still hasn't really caught up. Which I don't think is the case, there's nothing wrong with turn-based, if it's a good system.

What other rpgs do the characters interact as a true team/ come up with a plan to take down an enemy (Deadeye) with each person responsible for their part?

User Info: edgefury

edgefury
3 years ago#10
I'm not too thrilled about 3/4 of the party being AI controlled, and see that as a backwards step, rather than progress.

X-2 should be the blueprint for future ff games imo which is why I'm baffled they haven't used that system since...
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. To The People Unwilling To Accept Change
  • Topic Archived