• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Hiroyuki Ito (FFVI, FFIX, FFXII Director) is still working on Smartphone games.

User Info: 1Truth

1Truth
5 years ago#1
https://itunes.apple.com/GB/app/id757746345?mt=8&affId=1758689

In the above URL, you can see that he was the Battle Designer of Deadman's Cross, which just released on iOS today. Hopefully, this is his last Smartphone game he's credited on and he'll now begin to focus 100% on the AAA game Shinji Hashimoto indicated that Ito was planning back in this July 2013 interview:

RPG Site: I can see Nomura-san's crew need the room back for their next interview, so I'm going to wrap up by betraying my inner fan and ask a more specific talent question - Hiroyuki Ito, the creator of ATB, the director of FF9 - my favourite, which of course you produced - and FF12... Is he still at the company - and is he working on anything that we already know about?

Hashimoto: [laughs] You're a very unique journalist, asking about Ito-san! Yeah. He's still at Square Enix. He's been planning and doing some proposals for a new project at the moment, so... Really, he's the kind of guy that wants to challenge new things all the time, so, yeah. At the moment, he's doing... [laughs] He's putting some ideas together.

RPG Site: I'm very interested to see what he does next. For RPG gameplay systems I really do feel he's one of the best there is; one of your strongest assets.

Hashimoto: Like you say, he's very talented and very involved. He's very, very in-depth... he likes the depth of the gameplay systems side of things. He really loves to go really deep on mechanics and things, and that takes time. I'm very excited to see his ideas soon!

http://www.rpgsite.net/interview/3144-talking-talent-western-development-and-sequels-with-final-fantasy-producer-shinji-hashimoto

Here's more info on Hiroyuki Ito for those that don't know his full history with the FF series:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hiroyuki_Ito
The Zodiac Brave Theory
A groundbreaking new discovery about the story of Final Fantasy XII. Release: TBA

User Info: zombie_basher13

zombie_basher13
5 years ago#2
Why did Square Enix move him to mobile division, did they not like what he did with XII? And yet they keep someone like Toriyama on, whose games has mixed reception...SE's logic baffles me.

Success and do well = demoted. Failure and talentless hack = promotion. In SE's world.
Can't wait for The Great METAL GEAR SOLID V - now in two flavors.

1Truth
5 years ago#3
zombie_basher13 posted...
Why did Square Enix move him to mobile division, did they not like what he did with XII? And yet they keep someone like Toriyama on, whose games has mixed reception...SE's logic baffles me.

Success and do well = demoted. Failure and talentless hack = promotion. In SE's world.

I blame the absence of Sakaguchi. If Sakaguchi was still there, I can guarantee you that he'd give Ito a major position on the FF series. He chose Ito to direct FFVI (with Kitase), FFIX, and FFXII (with Matsuno). That's three mainline FF games under Ito's belt. By now, had Sakaguchi still been at Square Enix, Ito would probably have his own 200 man development team like Kitase does.

Also, I blame Shinji Hashimoto for giving Kitase and Nomura too much power and completely ignoring Ito. Kitase as a producer has been given too much power over FF and Nomura has been given too much creative freedom on FF spin-offs. Sure, Nomura has been able to make loads of KH games and TWEWY, but the Dissidia FF series and Theatrhythm FF series are examples of him having too much control over FF. Ito should have way more creative control over FF than Nomura does, especially seeing as Ito has directed three mainline games and Nomura is only now directing his first. Honestly, Nomura should just focus on mainline KH and finishing off FFXV from now on.
The Zodiac Brave Theory
A groundbreaking new discovery about the story of Final Fantasy XII. Release: TBA

User Info: zombie_basher13

zombie_basher13
5 years ago#4
Don't hate on Nomura. He's not the best story writer (even though I personally love the KH storyline and what it has become) but he's directed some damn fun games. It's precicely for that reason that Ito has directed 3 games and Nomura only 1, that Nomura should get a shot at his own FF. I wouldn't say he gets too much influence over FF. For the most part, he's just a character designer, and now even for XV, he's one of 2 directors.

Also from that link you provided, two lines I found interesting:

"Tetsuya Nomura, director of Final Fantasy XV, stated he considers Hiroyuki Ito one of his four "seniors" and an influence on his battle system planning."

Well there ya go, at least he respects Ito and is even influenced by him for XV's combat!

"After the release of Final Fantasy XII, Hiroyuki Ito stated he felt the Active Dimension Battle (ADB) system was still rough. He hopes to evolve the ADB system in a future Final Fantasy game."

I totally wish this would happen.
Can't wait for The Great METAL GEAR SOLID V - now in two flavors.

1Truth
5 years ago#5
zombie_basher13 posted...
Don't hate on Nomura. He's not the best story writer (even though I personally love the KH storyline and what it has become) but he's directed some damn fun games. It's precicely for that reason that Ito has directed 3 games and Nomura only 1, that Nomura should get a shot at his own FF. I wouldn't say he gets too much influence over FF. For the most part, he's just a character designer, and now even for XV, he's one of 2 directors.

Also from that link you provided, two lines I found interesting:

"Tetsuya Nomura, director of Final Fantasy XV, stated he considers Hiroyuki Ito one of his four "seniors" and an influence on his battle system planning."

Well there ya go, at least he respects Ito and is even influenced by him for XV's combat!

"After the release of Final Fantasy XII, Hiroyuki Ito stated he felt the Active Dimension Battle (ADB) system was still rough. He hopes to evolve the ADB system in a future Final Fantasy game."

I totally wish this would happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nomura. However, compared to Ito? It's obvious that Ito should have more authority on the FF series than Nomura. Heck, even Nomura has stated that he regards Ito as one of his four seniors. The other three being Kitase, Sakaguchi and Takahashi (Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade). So, out of these four "seniors", only Kitase and Ito are still employed by SQEX, yet Kitase is head of an entire mainline FF department, while Ito works on insignificant iOS games.

I truly wish to see another mainline FF that evolves off FFXII, especially with huge RAM that PS4 has and playable CGI Agni's Philosophy has shown us. Basically, I really want Ito directing FFXVI.
The Zodiac Brave Theory

User Info: CranberryTaco

CranberryTaco
5 years ago#6
I'd take a FF action-rpg directed by Ito.

inb4 'want Ito to make open world game' I already agree.
I'm Chuck Bass. 88' / Musician / Mobile / You're a crook captain hook. Judge won't you throw the book at the pirate

User Info: TehAssasin

TehAssasin
5 years ago#7
1Truth posted...

Don't get me wrong, I love Nomura.

Unless love means 'don't hate', I really don't think you do, Galv.

1Truth
5 years ago#8
TehAssasin posted...
1Truth posted...

No, actually do love Nomura. Anybody that praises Ito and calls him their "senior" is worthy of my respect. Also, Nomura liked the battle system in FFXII and liked Vaan as a character. Both of these are reasons why I like him. I just wish FFXV was cross-gen (PS3/PS4/360/XB1) as originally intended back in 2012.

Also, why have you not responded to my friend request? You have no right to call me Galv if you ain't gonna respond to my friend request.
The Zodiac Brave Theory

User Info: TehAssasin

TehAssasin
5 years ago#9
1Truth posted...
TehAssasin posted...
1Truth posted...

No, actually do love Nomura. Anybody that praises Ito and calls him their "senior" is worthy of my respect. Also, Nomura liked the battle system in FFXII and liked Vaan as a character. Both of these are reasons why I like him. I just wish FFXV was cross-gen (PS3/PS4/360/XB1) as originally intended back in 2012.

Also, why have you not responded to my friend request? You have no right to call me Galv if you ain't gonna respond to my friend request.

Source where Nomura said he liked Vaan as a character? That's not a good news.

Eh, I don't see the point in accumulating 'buddies' here. I admit, I do find you amusing at times beneath all the dramas you created in Gamefaqs, but our opinions ultimately clash with one another.

1Truth
5 years ago#10
TehAssasin posted...
Source where Nomura said he liked Vaan as a character? That's not a good news.

It was when Vaan was revealed for Dissidia 012. Nomura said he wanted Vaan in the original Dissidia, but the rest of the staff wanted Balthier. As a result, they settled on Gabranth as he's in the FFXII logo. Also, he said he made sure Vaan got in this time, even if that meant getting a new VA for him. He even said some positive things about Vaan's fighting style in the game.

Lastly, Vaan and Sora are very similar in personality. They're both cheerful youths with no emoness in sight. Nomura has said Sora is ordinary and the antithesis of his FF protagonists. The same can be said about Vaan compared to Cloud, Squall, Tidus, and Lightning. I think it's that similarity in personality that makes Nomura like Vaan. All the FF protagonists he's designed are very different to Sora, while Vaan is quite similar to him. The fact that Sora's the fave character Nomura's ever designed plus the fact he loved the FFXII battle system, are all reasons why Vaan's liked by him.

Also, have you seen how much effort he put into the Vaan artwork for Dissidia 012? He put more detail, shading, color grading, shiny surfaces, and reflective lightning into his Vaan artwork than he even put into Lightning. LOL! He even made Vaan's hair shiny, while he left Lightning's all plain and dull. That says a lot about him liking Vaan as a character.

Dissidia 012 art:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/015/4/d/new_characters_in_dissidia_012_by_holyangelaerith-d377s59.png

TehAssasin posted...
Eh, I don't see the point in accumulating 'buddies' here. I admit, I do find you amusing at times beneath all the dramas you created in Gamefaqs, but our opinions ultimately clash with one another.

I only friend request people that like FFXII. I'm sure you've said a few times that you like FFXII, so that's why I sent you a friend request. I don't care about your opinion of other FF games. As long as you like FFXII, you're good in my books. That's how I roll with making friend requests on GameFAQs.
The Zodiac Brave Theory
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Hiroyuki Ito (FFVI, FFIX, FFXII Director) is still working on Smartphone games.
  • Topic Archived