• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason
  3. can someone explain the story to me? (possible spoilers)

User Info: Firehell2

Firehell2
10 years ago#1

I don't really get how the events of the story is progressing. After I finished the game, I have at least an idea or 2 but some of it still doesn't make sense. Did the ship hit an iceberg first then got caught in a glacier? Then the captain tried to free the ship from the glacier? or it was the other way around?

User Info: Printul_Noptii

Printul_Noptii
10 years ago#2

As far as I paid attention to it it goes like this.. Alexander Nesterov dies at the very beginning of the game by fallig into a ice pitt, he gets the second chance by Chronos the god of Time to undue the mistakes the crew of the north star and the captain did back in time, its like the north star is cursed by the terrible mistake. Thats the reason why Alexander can enter other dead crewmen memory. After you finished the game you face Chronos and release your soul and are saved by the ships captain then the whole ship disappears because the curse is lifted, the only survivors are actually your sledge dogs, because the captain says "unlike us they always find the way back home" its a indirect statement that you are dead and you join them on the ship at the end and disappear with it.

User Info: tranter7876

tranter7876
10 years ago#3
@Firehell2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryostasis:_Sleep_of_Reason

User Info: Deugar

Deugar
10 years ago#4

Printul_Noptii posted...

As far as I paid attention to it it goes like this.. Alexander Nesterov dies at the very beginning of the game by fallig into a ice pitt, he gets the second chance by Chronos the god of Time to undue the mistakes the crew of the north star and the captain did back in time, its like the north star is cursed by the terrible mistake. Thats the reason why Alexander can enter other dead crewmen memory. After you finished the game you face Chronos and release your soul and are saved by the ships captain then the whole ship disappears because the curse is lifted, the only survivors are actually your sledge dogs, because the captain says "unlike us they always find the way back home" its a indirect statement that you are dead and you join them on the ship at the end and disappear with it.

Thank you Printul_Noptii that was actually a very good explanation. I was also pretty confused about the plot at the end of the game. I suppose I'm too used to a simple storyline in most games other games...

I'm curious though... What does the enemies in the game represent? I particularly remember the ones with the Russian SMG's who, if you looked closely, had something resembling a prison cell in their heads...

User Info: ObvilionLost

ObvilionLost
10 years ago#5

Deugar posted...

Printul_Noptii posted...

Thank you Printul_Noptii that was actually a very good explanation. I was also pretty confused about the plot at the end of the game. I suppose I'm too used to a simple storyline in most games other games...

I'm curious though... What does the enemies in the game represent? I particularly remember the ones with the Russian SMG's who, if you looked closely, had something resembling a prison cell in their heads...

I think the guys with SMG with jail cell face represent the prison gurads.

User Info: SkelionPowalski

SkelionPowalski
10 years ago#6
many of those comments from gamestop and all those companies really get on my nerves, just because the combat was "slow" it made the game bad, and as far as i know none of the rooms or stages looked similar at all, and even if they did i wouldnt have noticed it because this game is awesome, i hate how just because every single detail of a game is not perfect, the whole game sucks for some stupid reason, i think that reviewers need to pull their heads out of their asses and just enjoy the game for what it is, instead of whining about it all day
Known aliases: Skellion Powalski, Eddie Stickenstein, Harry Potter, Wolfman, Turtle, John Lennon, Edward, and McDuff

User Info: ZHDALKER

ZHDALKER
10 years ago#7
Here.
Cryostasis takes place in 1981 on a nuclear icebreaker called the North Wind, which has become shipwrecked near the North Pole. The main character, Alexander Nesterov, is a Russian meteorologist who must investigate what happened onboard the ship. But he’s not alone, and the North Wind is now plagued by dead crewmen who have undergone a bizarre metamorphosis.

As the player fights his way through the ship, he learns what happened through visions of the past. The captain took a perilous course through the ice, ignoring the warnings of his first officer. After colliding with an iceberg and suffering significant damage, the first officer radioed HQ, which in turn ordered the ship to return to port for decommissioning. While the crew struggled to repair the damage over the course of several weeks, the captain is disgraced, forsaken by all the crew. During this time, the ice around them thickens, essentially freezing the ship in place and isolating the crew. In an attempt to regain the respect of his crew, and lead them out of their predicament, the captain attempts to free the ship from the ice. His attempt is interrupted by the first officer, however, whose orders result in the ship's engine room catching fire and the nuclear reactor core destabilizing. Consequently, the crew begins to suffer radiation poisoning and die. These events roughly correlate to an old Russian tale, which is relayed through notes discovered throughout the game. Like the rise against Danko, the ship's crew members that rose against the captain began to transform into horrible creatures.

Throughout the game, the main character comes across fallen crew members and has a chance to correct their mistakes. At the end of the game, the player encounters Chronos, the god of time, who gives him the opportunity to correct the entire tragedy.

There are multiple paths to correcting the tragedy by changing the actions of one of three major characters. By possessing the soul of the first officer when he brings the telegraph regarding impending decommissioning to the captain and questions the captain's competence, the player may choose instead to descend into the ship, helping the crew with repairs and discarding the telegraph. This results in the captain not losing his morale, and the crew never losing faith in the captain. By possessing the chief engineer when he berates the despondent captain upon hearing the news, the player may choose instead to cheer up the captain by offering him a scale model of his ship. Finally, when the captain is trying to free the ship and is incapacitated by a window shattering in his face, the player may choose to have the chief security officer go to his side and help him up, rather than assisting the first officer. This results in the ship breaking free under the captain's actions, since the first officer no longer aborts the escape attempt, and the engine fire and nuclear reactor setbacks never occur. Any of these three changes result in the captain breaking free from the ice and being in good standing with his crew.

After the final flashback, the player is returned to the beginning of the game where he finds the icebreaker and falls through the ice. However, this time the crew appears on the ice outside the icebreaker, and the captain pulls the main character out of the freezing water.
The official version.
Nobody messes with Boris Grishinkov!

User Info: ZHDALKER

ZHDALKER
10 years ago#8
Plus, Alexander never died.
If he was dead the whole time, then why did he needed all that heat?
Nobody messes with Boris Grishinkov!

User Info: olgert56

olgert56
10 years ago#9
^ I'm sure he wasn't actually asking for that explanation since that is pretty obvious from playing the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryostasis:_Sleep_of_Reason#Plot

You've taken that from wikipedia. I don't know if it's from any other source... All that explains is the events that happened in the ship...how it got to the condition, and what you do during the whole game...it doesn't really explain much. Look for example at the last paragraph: "After the final flashback, the player is returned to the beginning of the game where he finds the icebreaker and falls through ice....the crew...and the captain pulls the main character out of the freezing water." All that last paragraph explains is what you see in the game...in other words, it doesn't explain anything at all. How would you possibly return back to the beginning if you were alive?
How would you be able to fight or see the god if you were alive?
How would Cronos take you so you could correct one of the three critical situations if you were alive?

The need for heat in the game is symbolic. Even though you're dead your soul is warm, unlike the crew members. That's why you need to find a heat source. Think of it as a soul sent to a place it doesn't belong. It needs to survive somehow. When you shoot or hit the enemies you don't see blood but a flash or red. When they hit or shoot you, you see a flash of blue. This means that when you hit them they are affected by the warmth (good), and when they hit you, you are affected by the cold (evil). The cold and warmth in this game is symbolic for evil and good. It's also clear that he died from the very beginning of the game (only you don't realize this until you've finished the game). Three times you see your own outline in front of you. Everytime you get close to it you experience what happened to you in the past. Throughout the game you go in the crew members' past to correct their mistakes and save their lives (which is actually the souls). In the beginning of the game you do this to yourself. Notice how the first three times it's only a flashback which lasts only until you fall down from the sled. Then in the fourth, you get to go to your past (through mental echo) and correct your fate. Notice also how the body you touch has no actual body. You don't see a face. So, when you go back to your own past you get up and get inside the ship, thus saving yourself. Also, how would you be able to just go in people's pasts and live like it was you if you were alive? No living human has that ability.... In other words, You are clearly dead.

But all the time it was Cronos who chose you (an outsider) to correct the fate of the crew. So, it was through him that you saved yourself in order to save the crew...

The ending scene simply shows how it would have been if the ship's crew were alive if you got there. The only twist is that it actually does happen, but in the afterlife. You are part of the crew now.

User Info: destynova1

destynova1
10 years ago#10
I liked the Engineer's scene the best. "Let them decomission this instead!" His gift of the ship to the captain kept the captain's spirit from breaking.
  1. Boards
  2. Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason
  3. can someone explain the story to me? (possible spoilers)
  • Topic Archived