• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Eragon
  3. What do Eragon fans think of anti-shurtugal?

User Info: TaraShewolf

TaraShewolf
11 years ago#41
There are rabid fans and rabid anti-fans. Anti-Shur'tugal seems to make a distinction between them, and keep well away in their own little cave of neutrality (not obvious at first, but browse their forum and see).
"I don't get it. Everybody likes rats. Why don't they like rats' milk?" - Fat Tony

User Info: alexander9

alexander9
11 years ago#42
I have yet to see a rabid anti-fan. Most of us can type and spell properly. Eragon fans on the other hand....
If you have a friend nearby, you can play cooperatively, but then you might end up with one less friend- The caption on Eragon's box.

User Info: FinalRagnarok27

FinalRagnarok27
11 years ago#43
I'm highly dissapointed in the illiteracy of most Eragon fans (not all, seeing as how I'm one of them). And allow me to restate that I have nothing against the site anti-shurtugal and admit that they make good points. But I do have a bone to pick with them in the way that their material is presented. A little more polish would have been nice. I see their ideas as rough, uncut gems that need to be polished more. Though of course the Epistles are wonderful and the use of rhetoric in them is more than enough to make up for the grammar and poor presentation of other sections.

I can't help but LOL at the Eragon fans who sent those e-mails.Liek omg you suck...? The Inheritance Trilogy pwns your asses...? Wow, simply wow. Whoever wrote that should either pick up a book other than the one he desperately clings to (though Paolini does have good grammar XD) or just do mankind a favor and end his/her life right now XD. In this topic I clearly favor the anti-fans simply because of how literate they are compared to most of the fans and how well they've presented their information without being immature. Though I am an Eragon fan, I consider myself who consents with the anti-fans. If only more fans could be like them and be more mature.

Of course I can't neglect to mention the creators of Shur'tugal who are the REAL fans. And don't make the other fans look bad. They're a wonderful group of people who are actually literate XD. So I suggest the Eragon fans make a transition into an anti-fan that is literate and intelligent, or be a real fan who does not embarass themselves or other fans with e-mails like the one stated 2 posts ago by Stokeworth.

Good Day
Your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. Here, use mine.-Ninja99

User Info: alexander9

alexander9
11 years ago#44
My respect for the minority of Eragon fans has gone up a bit after reading that. Good post Ragnarok.
If you have a friend nearby, you can play cooperatively, but then you might end up with one less friend- The caption on Eragon's box.

TaraShewolf
11 years ago#45
Really? You haven't seen a rabid anti-fan? Go to the ASF forums and see the elitistists over there--people who think that just because they don't like Eragon, they're automatically smart and can talk their mouth off. "Rabid" does not necessarily mean "wrong spelling" and "bad grammar", you know.

Ragnarok, maybe you can voice your concerns out over to the site creators. From what I'm aware of they're extremely busy and much of the site was a culmination of their thoughts and past arguments, not actual essays on themselves. Although I agree that the Epistles is the best part of the site.
"I don't get it. Everybody likes rats. Why don't they like rats' milk?" - Fat Tony

FinalRagnarok27
11 years ago#46
My respect for the minority of Eragon fans has gone up a bit after reading that. Good post Ragnarok.

I really am glad to hear that because not all of us are complete morons like the ones that have been mentioned by Stokeworth.

Really? You haven't seen a rabid anti-fan? Go to the ASF forums and see the elitistists over there--people who think that just because they don't like Eragon, they're automatically smart and can talk their mouth off. "Rabid" does not necessarily mean "wrong spelling" and "bad grammar", you know.

I haven't seen a rabid anti-fan simply because only the intelligent ones have migrated over here. The literate and intelligent ones are the ones I come into contact with and thus I have a lot of respect for them regardless of the difference of our views. I have no desire to go over to ASF forums and acquaint myself with any of the elitists there and I'm fully aware it's probably brimming with them.

I know it doesn't mean bad grammar but someone with bad grammar, who speaks complete incoherent nonsense, has no comprehension of the plot, and utterly fails in presenting their ideas is indicative of a rabid fan. I'm only identifying them by their most common symptoms not saying the symptoms themselves specifically denote one type of disease (Lord knows there are many XD).

Ragnarok, maybe you can voice your concerns out over to the site creators. From what I'm aware of they're extremely busy and much of the site was a culmination of their thoughts and past arguments, not actual essays on themselves.

You and I both know that is a complete waste of both of out time and that contacting the creators simply because I'm critical of their writing style is completely useless. I can respect their thoughts as I've stated, but I'm a bit overbearing on their arguments since they're not presented in the most extraordinary fashion.

Although I agree that the Epistles is the best part of the site.

I'm glad we can agree on this and I certainly commend them for the sheer amount of work they've put into them.

Announcement to all rabid fans

THIS is how a civilized conversation on a friendly message board should be going. If the fans weren't so hostile and illiterate (BAAD combination LOL) you wouldn't be laughed at as one of the most ridiculous fanbases out there (though I am including myself in this, so don't think I think myself better than any of you). This topic does have some potential to be an intelligent and calm conversation between intellectuals and people who enjoy reading.

I just have to congratulate the anti-fans on one point though. The guys that I've seen around that are anti-fans have been shown to have a better grasp on the plot of the story they so thoroughly dislike. But I have to say that some anti-fans are overly aggressive and attempt to forcefeed their insight despite their pleas falling on deaf ears. So perhaps if some of the guys would lighten up a bit we won't have to deal with the a-holes on both sides. (I'm addressing this to the fans now:) It can't be helped if they dislike the story and notice the striking similarities it bears to other great works of literature. So can we all come to terms and be at peace? LOL, let the intelligent conversations begin! (and so the topic dies...)

User Info: battourye

battourye
11 years ago#47
I will be one to say that its not the fact that Eragon borrows from other works, a lot of fantasy IS derivative these days, though that should not be so, it is common, and thus what really hurts is Eragon's complete lack of originality.

CP tries to add in some fragments of originality, but they all seem to falter.
"It's kind of sad really"-Tom32889 [AOA]
"What, your inability to use proper grammar?-King Moogle

TaraShewolf
11 years ago#48
That is true so far, there doesn't seem to be elitists here. But they are out there. I prefer to see people discuss Inheritance as--well, people, where you can exchange ideas without having to be in one side or the other.

"You and I both know that is a complete waste of both of out time and that contacting the creators simply because I'm critical of their writing style is completely useless. I can respect their thoughts as I've stated, but I'm a bit overbearing on their arguments since they're not presented in the most extraordinary fashion."

You'd be surprised, Ragnarok.

In fact, last night, I was talking to Hackslayer about how the AS essays were mostly crap, and she told me she had rewritten about two essays thus far, and had about 6 other essays in mind to rewrite.

Then she told me to get my ass moving and upload them.

Crap, have I said too much? ;)

FinalRagnarok27
11 years ago#49
Well Wolf, I can't say I'm not astonished but I am pleasantly surprised at that. I'm glad to hear that, and I commend you guys on this effort and wish you the best of luck.

User Info: Project_Genesis

Project_Genesis
11 years ago#50
I happen to be one of the people who enjoyed the two books, though not to the extent where I would raise it upon a pedalstool and claim it to be one of the greatest books in recent history. There are clearly flaws within the story and the writing itself, but as a fan of the LotR's trilogy, something reminiscent of it is also quite enjoyable. Plagiarism, sure, but of course Paolini isn't the first to do something like this. I could walk into Barnes and Nobles and come out with carts of books that rip off Tolkien. The fact that there are others doesn't make Paolini any less wrong for doing this, but we have to take things into perspective sometimes and simply accept the stories for what they are. Love them or hate them people are reading them, and a majority of them aren't going to be swayed by this Anti-Eragon sentiment spread by the people of ever popular hate site if they continued to read on into Eldest.

I don't know if it was here or some other thread, but someone asked for a story Tolkien might have drawn his ideas from. I believe one of these stories was Beowulf.
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo..the Vacuum of our lives.
  1. Boards
  2. Eragon
  3. What do Eragon fans think of anti-shurtugal?
  • Topic Archived