Tell me true, are the controls in this game truly annoying?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  3. Tell me true, are the controls in this game truly annoying?

User Info: guy12345

guy12345
4 months ago#1
So, I love The Wind Waker, it's probably a tie for me along with OOt and LTTP as my favorite Zelda. I really want to play more games in the "Wind Waker style" and continue that story, but I've read so many negative things about the use of the stylus in this game? Tell me honestly: is it really that bad?

User Info: SpiralDrift

SpiralDrift
4 months ago#2
The controls are annoying at first but if you stick with it it becomes very fluid. I hated it at first but grew to love it because it makes for some really unique puzzles and is generally put to great use. The game would not have been better with D-pad controls. Just ask anyone who's tried playing it with the D-pad hack.

It doesn't have much in common with Wind Waker aside from the story. I played them back to back and wasn't disappointed, though. The two form a complete story.

Just be aware that it's not in the classic Zelda style where you go from dungeon to dungeon. There's a hub dungeon that you slowly open up as you get new items. You still wander around the world map and there's something new on each island but the main point is to progress further in the main dungeon.
Do unto others what your parents did to you.

guy12345
4 months ago#3
Thanks! would you say this one or Spirit Tracks is better; I'll probably break down and get one or the other (to start) just because I loved Wind Waker so much

User Info: The_Cysko_Kid

The_Cysko_Kid
4 months ago#4
I'm playing this game for the first time right now and although the stylus controls take some getting used to and don't always feel super responsive I've had more fun with the dungeons and the novel way you use items like bombchus and the boomerang than in any Zelda I've played. It's possibly the first one in years where the dungeons didnt all feel like chores to me.

guy12345
3 months ago#5
Well, I don't know if that bodes well for me since I typically love Zelda dungeons, they're my favorite part of the games and definitely not a chore to me.
I'll likely end up playing this anyway, hope I end up liking it

User Info: drakegraves

drakegraves
3 months ago#6
hey, guy! did you ever pick this one up? i'm curious what you thought if so. i'm re-playing this one right now, i found your topic because i was looking up a guide here on the site. Wind Waker is my favorite game ever, and i sort of feel like if you play Phantom Hourglass expecting more of the same, you'll be disappointed - but that's not necessarily bad. this is it's own unique experience, and it's sort of Wind Waker flavored.

i feel like, yeah the controls are clunky and weird at first, but they tried something new and it lead to a lot of very interesting and unique puzzles, as spiral said. no game is perfect. if the internet had its way, we'd boycott everything that looked 'funny', nobody would take chances with games, and we'd never have cool experiences like this and Spirit Tracks. the controls are no worse than any given mobile game that millions of people play.

as a personal thing, i try not to listen to the internet when they outrage out about stuff like this. they did it to wind waker back in the day, and i almost never played it. i would have missed out on the best experience i've ever had in gaming! 9 out of 10 times, peoples 'criticism' of a game online turns into the main topic of conversation, and nobody wants to talk about what was good, and the rest of us who haven't tried it yet get scared off. a lot of the time the people having the conversations haven't even played the game.

anyway sorry for the rant. Phantom Hourglass isn't the best game ever, but it was a fun experience i'm glad i had

guy12345
3 months ago#7
Hey man haven't got it yet, am planning on doing so within the next couple months, will definitely come on this board and write my thoughts when I do.

Yeah i hear you on the internet; the internet also "decided"the Wii U was terrible, which is not true, and many other things.

Conversely, on the other extreme of internet tastemaking, I hate Majora's Mask and I'm not going to say its good just because there's a vocal group of "cool kid" types on the internet who say it's the best Zelda just to be different.

User Info: drakegraves

drakegraves
3 months ago#8
I personally think Majora's Mask is great, definitely one of my favorites - but I don't doubt there are people who say that just to be cool. I actually didn't like it when I played it as a kid; I still beat it way back when, even though I didn't like it, but it wasn't until I re-played the 3DS remake that I really "understood" it. I think the trick is that you have to stop expecting it to be "Zelda" the way you've come to know it. In Japanese, it was called Zelda Gaiden, which means "Zelda side story". Looking at it that way might temper one's expectations a little bit.

Zelda games can be pretty decisive. Everyone's got an opinion that pisses off one or another cross section of Zelda fans. When I was standing in line at 4am waiting to buy Breath of the Wild, a Zelda fan struck up a conversation with me about our favorites, and I said "I don't think we should have this conversation, man", but he dragged out of me anyway that I didn't like Skyward Sword at all, and I got f***in booed by the whole line! Zelda has been a part of my identity since i was 4, but I just didn't like that one, and I didn't want to lie about it.

I just moved on to Spirit Tracks after beating Hourglass, and I wonder if you would like it or not. If you didn't like Majora, you might not like that one, even though it's technically the 'better' game of the two DS titles (I only mean better design-wise: it's newer feeling, snappier, better controls, better art, etc.).

Anyway good talkin to ya, I don't ever post online so I might miss it whenever you do pick up Hourglass, but I hope you like it! Have a good one.

guy12345
3 months ago#9
Yeah I've heard people crap on Skyward Sword online, but I'm not gonna judge it until I play it.
My one and only and major complaint about Majora's Mask is the timer; It doesn't bother me that it's "dark" or that it doesn't take place in Hyrule etc, I hate the timer. To me it goes against everything a Zelda should be, which is freeform exploration; I don't want to be on a deadline like it's a Super Mario Bros level. But I have no problem if people like it, just the people who go on about how it's the greatest Zelda ever, which it clearly is not.
So as long as Spirit Traks doesn't have a timer, I will try it.

User Info: SpiralDrift

SpiralDrift
3 months ago#10
I didn't really like the timed aspect of Majora's Mask and initially hated it in Phantom Hourglass, but once I got a feel for it in PH it was very rewarding making better times through the same areas with upgraded items. Majora's Mask on the other hand I kind of just put up with, but I could see it being more enjoyable on a second play through when you already know which side quests can or can't be finished at a given point instead of just blindly trying and failing over and over.
Do unto others what your parents did to you.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  3. Tell me true, are the controls in this game truly annoying?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived