• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
  3. A Simple Solution to the Mouse Button 4 and 5 Problem.

User Info: RoastedRooster

RoastedRooster
9 years ago#1
In the F.E.A.R. 2 options menu, change whatever you want the 4th and 5th mouse button to be to keys you wouldn't normally use. For example, if you want Slow Motion to be triggered by the Right Side Mouse Button (5) and the Flashlight to be triggered by the Left side button (Mouse 4), go into the options menu and change Slow Motion to the Key "L" and Flashlight to the Key "K".

Now This should work with any mouse that has extra buttons beyond the obvious Left, Right, and Middle wheel. Go to the URL link at the bottom of the post and download the freeware X-Mouse Button Control. After installing the application, create a profile by pressing the Add button and finding the F.E.A.R. 2 executable.

There will be 5 bars corresponding to the 5 mouse buttons, each with a drop down menu of options you will be able to select from. For the Right X Button, scroll down until you see Simulated Key Strokes. Enter [L] into the field. Repeat the same process for the Left X Button, entering [K] into the field. Now all you have to do is make sure the box for F.E.A.R. 2 is checked and the program is running- you can close the window and it will run in the background and is selectable from the bottom right on your toolbar.

There you have it folks. Very easy to accomplish... you just have to ask yourself why the developers didn't implement it (though most probably have a fairly good guess). Enjoy.

http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

User Info: HoldMeTight

HoldMeTight
9 years ago#2
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

User Info: SlippyMickey

SlippyMickey
9 years ago#3
Confirmed. Thanks Rooster. This definitely should be stickied.

User Info: HoldMeTight

HoldMeTight
9 years ago#4
Whoops, I didn't mean to delete my post. I was trying to request a sticky too, but I don't see the option anywhere. Where would I find it?

User Info: BuffaloBoobs

BuffaloBoobs
9 years ago#5
Thanks, this is much better than having to use SetPoint.

User Info: Feanor5503

Feanor5503
9 years ago#6
SetPoint works fine for me. On FEAR and the FEAR 2 demo I just set-up keystroke assignments for left and right scroll (on the scroll wheel of my Logitech G5) and used them for Zoom & Slow-Mo.

The one thumb button was detected as "Left" in the FEAR 2 demo.

User Info: Mupod Negnirt

Mupod Negnirt
9 years ago#7
I just use my mouse software to bind it...I mean, if you OWN a mouse with 5+ buttons it probably came with something like that. Threw me off a little the first time an abomination grabbed me...I was like, L? Does it mean left mouse button? Oh crap, I bound mouse4 to L...

The devs have acknowledged it anyways so they'll probably fix it in an update

SlippyMickey
9 years ago#8
Problem is, people don't seem to know that as evidenced by the topics that sprung up when the demo came out and continue to show up. Also, not every mouse has software.

I used to have an old school version of Kensington Mouseworks that was a pain in the ass to get to do what I just accomplished in under 5 minutes (downloading-installing-executing) In Mouseworks, you actually had to use a line of code to get it to simulate a key stroke.

SlippyMickey
9 years ago#9
Should be a period after the leftward opening parenthesis. Changes the meaning from what was intended typo intact.

).

User Info: DeadPhoenix86

DeadPhoenix86
9 years ago#10
i still dont understand why fear 2 doesn't support it. while any fps i've played supports all the mouse buttons. and i use a logitech mouse, which i bought for 45 euro.
  1. Boards
  2. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
  3. A Simple Solution to the Mouse Button 4 and 5 Problem.
  • Topic Archived