You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ever17: Out of Infinity
  3. Infinity Series Discussion Topic (Part 14) *mark spoilers*

User Info: Monoculus

Monoculus
1 month ago#71
Funchal99 posted...
Welp, locking the Reincarnation extra scenario on the Vita/PS4 version seems to be a pretty awful move in my opinion, since I don't feel like paying for the whole game again just to experience it.

For better or worse, Novectacle doesn't seem to have strong agreements with any one publisher - MangaGamer did the original game and Requiem, Sekai Project handled the manga (and NarKarma, if that's still a thing), and Limited Run Games seems to have been in charge of the console port and everything new it entails. I have no idea what kind of agreements or negotiations would need to be made to port it back to one of the PC releases, and I don't know enough about whether it'd be viable to release standalone.

I'll admit, I'm kind of disappointed as well; I prefer reading VNs on my laptop and I don't even have access to a working Vita or PS4 at the moment. I'm tempted to pick up the PS4 release anyways; I think my account is still activated on my brother's PS4, and it'd be a good way to try and guilt him into trying it out.
XBL: RandomTag529 | PSN/Steam ID: FEGuy | NNID: JimBobIX
Core i7-6700k | GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4-2666 | Windows 10 Pro + Arch Linux

User Info: Funchal99

Funchal99
1 month ago#72
Monoculus posted...
Funchal99 posted...
Welp, locking the Reincarnation extra scenario on the Vita/PS4 version seems to be a pretty awful move in my opinion, since I don't feel like paying for the whole game again just to experience it.

For better or worse, Novectacle doesn't seem to have strong agreements with any one publisher - MangaGamer did the original game and Requiem, Sekai Project handled the manga (and NarKarma, if that's still a thing), and Limited Run Games seems to have been in charge of the console port and everything new it entails. I have no idea what kind of agreements or negotiations would need to be made to port it back to one of the PC releases, and I don't know enough about whether it'd be viable to release standalone.

I'll admit, I'm kind of disappointed as well; I prefer reading VNs on my laptop and I don't even have access to a working Vita or PS4 at the moment. I'm tempted to pick up the PS4 release anyways; I think my account is still activated on my brother's PS4, and it'd be a good way to try and guilt him into trying it out.

That's a bit of bad practice on Novectacle's part as well though, since this extra scenario has been available for the Vita edition only in Japan for the price of a full game as well and no standalone option. I remember reading a review explaining that, if you want to access just Reincarnation without reading the rest of the game, you need to answer three plot related questions to unlock it or something to that effect. The PS4 version and the background overhaul seems to be a totally new feature from Limited Run Games though.

I love Fata Morgana to death, the second best VN I've ever read, but not that much lol. Maybe I'll watch a youtube let's play or something once it comes out.

Monoculus
1 month ago#73
For those who prefer their VNs to be DRM-free, GOG's having their big summer sale, including a bunch of MangaGamer and Sekai Project stuff. That includes Fata Morgana and its soundtrack and live concert, although Requiem For Innocence doesn't appear to be for sale there at all.
https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/bv500n/mangagamers_gog_summer_sale/

Speaking of MangaGamer, it looks like the complaints about the Higurashi retranslation taking so long didn't fall entirely on deaf ears, as it seems like Chapter 7 is closing in on a Steam release. No word on when it's actually going to hit the market, or how long it might take for the final chapter to have its programming done, but at least it's good progress for people who want to finish the main chapters before reading Ciconia. The GOG sale above also includes the available Higurashi chapters and both the Question and Answer arcs of Umineko.

Unrelated, but hot damn Death Stranding looks every bit as ridiculous and bizarre as peak Kojima should be. I wasn't sold from the earlier trailers but it just looks so dumb and out there that I can't help but be intrigued. If the gameplay doesn't end up being a clunky mess I might actually have to pick up a PS4 at some point. Also Kojima took to Twitter after the latest trailer to talk about how much of an Apocalyptica fanboy he is, which is great; they deserve some recognition beyond the handful of tracks that got airplay just because of the guest vocalists involved.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: gearssaga

gearssaga
1 month ago#74
Agree about Death Stranding, the game looks amazing. I just hope it's Kojima going back to his old self. I really didn't like what he did with the Metal Gear franchise after MGS4. No focus on story, and when there was a story it was pointless. Peace Walker and Phantom Pain were boring.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: PurpleMaster

PurpleMaster
1 month ago#75
gearssaga posted...
Agree about Death Stranding, the game looks amazing. I just hope it's Kojima going back to his old self. I really didn't like what he did with the Metal Gear franchise after MGS4. No focus on story, and when there was a story it was pointless. Peace Walker and Phantom Pain were boring.

MGSV is probably the worst disappointment in gaming history for me.
We'll see about Death Stranding. Definitely not a Day 1, but I'm confident about its storytelling. Not so much about the gameplay, though.

On another topic, I posted this on reddit, but I figured you might be interested too.
I played both 999 and VLR in Japanese and compiled a list of differences that I noticed. It's a lenghty read and I can't assure 100% that all info is correct, due to my Japanese level, but give it a read if you're interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZeroEscape/comments/bgymwj/differences_in_999_japanese_version_spoilers_for/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ZeroEscape/comments/bvbklg/differences_in_vlr_japanese_version_spoilers_for/

Funchal99
1 month ago#76
gearssaga posted...

To be fair, MGSV had one hell of a troubled development, I'm pretty sure it would be the traditional cutscene heavy fare if Konami didn't screw him and his team over. Plus, aside from the story being crap, I'd say it was the very best game in the series (you know, because the GAME that was there was pretty great).

I'm also very hyped for Death Stranding. Wouldn't say it looks dumb (guess it depends on individual definitions) but it looks whacky and deep at the same time, as Kojima should be.

User Info: gearssaga

gearssaga
1 month ago#77
I am well aware of the horrible development history of MGS5. And I think Kojima and his team still made an amazing job under these horrible conditions. So I respect their incredibly hard work.

But I MGS5 was planned from the start to have more of a western style of storytelling in games, rather than the way Kojima used to do it with previous games in the series. Look at Peace Walker, there's barely a story there, and what's there is useless and pointless.

So I really hope Death Stranding, which I know is going to have great gameplay, will also be a return to the former style of storytelling. Those who hate cutscenes can stop complaining and just skip them.

Funchal99
1 month ago#78
So, I just came around this bit of news: https://cutt.ly/qiqh8C

Raging Loop was actually one of the very first VNs released on Switch, and it looks pretty interesting. VNDB scores look good and it seems to feature lots of choices and bad endings, something I've been missing a lot from the latest available VNs. Also just found out it's the next project for Lemnisca, which is always great!

Monoculus
1 month ago#79
That was quick. The translator just threw out a hint this weekend that he'd finished a big project, and then SBM retweeted it, so I was hoping it might've been another Lemnisca collaboration.

Seeing Kemco's logo slapped on it made me a little skeptical at first, since they've basically become synonymous with 'low-budget mobile RPG' in the last decade or so, and indeed it looks like this was originally released for iOS and Android. Still, the ratings look solid, the genre's right, and I'm a sucker for a good game of Mafia.

It's a little disappointing that it's only been confirmed for Switch and PS4 in the west at the moment, though. The PC port in Japan launched simultaneously with the Switch port, and it's even on Steam at the moment. However, it might be a rights thing, with Kemco planning to use the translation with the existing Steam release while PQube retains publishing rights on other platforms.

Monoculus
1 month ago#80
Also, SBM just posted a good bit about the gameplay on his Twitter:
https://twitter.com/jhooper_g_ace

I love the idea of the branch-locking mechanic; it's a system that requires this sort of non-linear storytelling to work, but in a mystery VN without more traditional gameplay mechanics, it's a great way to promote a sense of progression beyond clicking to the next page.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Ever17: Out of Infinity
  3. Infinity Series Discussion Topic (Part 14) *mark spoilers*