You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ever17: Out of Infinity
  3. About Cure... (end of game spoilers)

User Info: CrimsonSpire

CrimsonSpire
4 months ago#1
I was revisiting the game recently when a scene near the end of the game made me think of something I hadn't considered before.

In her flashback between 2017 and 2034, Tsugumi worries that her kids might have been infected with Cure, but then the doctor reassures her that since they were born from a human and a Cure, they are Sapiens Cure, and only inherited recessive traits of Cure like enhanced strength and intelligence. He also goes on to say that the only way they could have been born fully Cure is if their parents were Cure x Cure, Sapiens Cure x Cure, or Sapiens Cure x Sapiens Cure.

That got me wondering; is it ever said what would have happened if they had been born fully Cure? Would they just stop aging after five years and be four or five years old or something? Would they just not age past being a newborn since all their cells would be Cure from the start? Or would something else happen altogether?

User Info: kilicool64

kilicool64
4 months ago#2
I don't think that was ever explained, but now that I think about it, if we really take the idea of never aging at all to its logical extreme, that should mean that the fetus of a pure Cure Virus patient would permanently remain in its initial state and never be born. Pretty disturbing, actually.

As far as I remember, the only reason people don't stop aging until five years after infection is because that's how long it takes for the virus-induced mutations to spread throughout the whole body. That shouldn't apply to someone who was already born with said mutations. So this seems like the only logical conclusion to me.

User Info: ShadowBlackMage

ShadowBlackMage
4 months ago#3
I've actually had some conversations about this with people before myself. I'd like to present two theories here: my own, personal theory (which is more fantastical), and a theory a friend of mine came up with (which is more scientific).

In my theory, I figured that because a virus' main purpose is to procreate, Cure, a virus that is in several ways like an intelligent creature, should seek to procreate in the most natural way possible if coded into its host at the start. But if the host never reaches sexual maturity, then it lacks the means to procreate in the most natural way there is and can only rely on blood transfusions to transfer. That is an inefficient means for a virus like Cure to spread.

So I think a virus as intelligent as Cure, if coded into its host from the start, would be designed so that it doesn't stop the aging until its natural host is at an age where it gains the ability to procreate. Otherwise, the virus itself has no means of procreating efficiently. This doesn't happen with hosts it doesn't infect from the start because it was unnaturally introduced into them. And therefore rewrites their cells regardless of age. Therefore, I believe that the host would stop aging roughly about five years after puberty, so somewhere in the late teens-early twenties.

Now, here's the more scientific theory, my friend's theory.

Cure operates by stopping telomares from shortening. In real life, aging is caused by the shortening of telomares, which causes problems in the cells that results in the cells dying and being replaced. Cure interrupts this. However, Cure does not interrupt cell division and proliferation, meaning the host's cells would continue to do so. Something important to note is that maturation is different from aging - aging is stuff like balding, aching bones, and so on, while maturation is the growth of the body into its adult shape. Maturation ends around the time puberty does (puberty can last until 25 or so, but that's also when some signs of aging like baldness can start appearing), so he estimates that someone born Cure from the start or someone infected in childhood would stop aging around 17. Yes, seriously, it's one heck of a coincidence, but that does seem to be a fair estimate.

So either way, I don't think something like an immortal fetus, newborn, or five year old would happen. The host would age until around the time they matured and went through puberty, so they would continue to grow until their late teens or so.
Are you there?
I'm right here.

User Info: CrimsonSpire

CrimsonSpire
4 months ago#4
Thanks for your responses! I think the explanation of #3's friend sounds like the most likely scenario based on what you've said. It's a relief to know it probably wouldn't be something eternal newborns. Like #2 said, that would be a pretty disturbing outcome.
  1. Boards
  2. Ever17: Out of Infinity
  3. About Cure... (end of game spoilers)