• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wild ARMs 5
  3. The story has lost me. <Spoilers>

User Info: StarryKnights

StarryKnights
2 years ago#1
So, the team has just survived a death show and it's revealed everyone involved in it is a complete psychopath. And yet, Rebecca, when criticized by one of them, breaks down and cries. That is utterly irrational behavior.

And then the team takes medicine from a person who has proven to be a manipulative monster who doesn't care about the lives of any human.

Because of course! Why not! The entire history of interactions with this species has absolutely proven they cannot be trusted, but no. We'll take their damn medicine. This can't end badly at ALL!

The servile adherence the team has to a clearly and purposefully broken social structure is annoying. The days of Ashley Winchester's moral strength are long dead and buried.

Dean is an idiot. Rebecca is an idiot for supporting his idiocy. Greg is an idiot because he should have seen this coming and didn't.

The ****ing 12 year-old is the one with common sense. THE TWELVE YEAR-OLD! Why did it take a deus ex machina 12 year-old to stop this trainwreck!?

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WRITERS FOR WILD ARMS 2!? THAT GAME WAS UTTERLY INSANE BUT MASTERFULLY WRITTEN AND POORLY TRANSLATED! The crap in WA5 is bad fanfiction level nonsensical! Liz and Ard literal translation nonsensical!

...wow. Never thought I'd type that out. But here we are. This whole section of story is a masterpiece of terribly done. Hell, I'll be telling my grandkids about this.

It probably won't improve. In fact at this point the plot will just get more laughably stupid as the evidence piles up and the team KEEPS TRUSTING THE PEOPLE WHO ARE WORSE THAN WESKER. AND WESKER BETRAYS HIS OWN BREAKFAST. But I need my hope out there, waving down passing cars, waiting to be picked up by a serial killer.

And Rebecca is jealous towards the 12 year-old. Because of course. Of course, Wild Arms 5.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." ~ Leonard Nimoy

StarryKnights
2 years ago#2
None of the team has the slightest iota of curiosity or interest in understanding anything related to the plot. Not even the 12 year-old, but then again, she did join the party. So it's possible she autotomized her brain.

Members of this abusive, hateful race start calling you majesty, and treat you wish respect - something none of them have ever been shown to do before - and no one asks why.

Asking why is the most fundamental question we have to understand out world. It is the foundation of thought. Without it, you're blind and stumbling around in the filth of ignorance. Having a team of five people not show any curiosity towards outlandishly unusual behavior is offensively poor writing.

This is the best Media Vision could come up with? This is embarrassingly bad.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." ~ Leonard Nimoy

StarryKnights
2 years ago#3
The storyline has moderated into something less utterly incoherent, if only because certain folks are dying in hilarious irrational, yet karmic, fashions.

On a related note, Dean, you did just obtained rockets that are capable of blowing up rocks way bigger than the one pinning down jackass. Just saying.

StarryKnights
2 years ago#4
>Plot decides to unlock Avril's memories despite the explicit threat of the world coming to an end
>Plot introduced a person who can control minds effortlessly ten minutes prior
>Go through an hour long maze to unlock the memories
>Memories unlocked are worthless beyond inching the plot along

>Get to a puzzle requiring team members to stand on certain switches
>Rebecca becomes psychotically clingy and prevents the puzzle from being solved easily
>Avril prevents the puzzle from being easily solved because she is scared of the dark, a trait never before hinted at despite being in a dozen dark places, in a game that wants to stop the gameplay to have a nice chat every other scene
>Oh and Chuck is scared of the dark too because sure why not
>Gets to do a minor variation on the same puzzle five minutes later because the developers ran out of imagination designing all the brilliantly varied dungeons in the game

What absurd quality.

User Info: foxinaboxx

foxinaboxx
2 years ago#5
>It probably won't improve.

No. And you won't be shocked at the ending where they reveal the big fat plot twist that everything was the result of a causal loop. Yeah, You heard me. They brought TIME TRAVEL into it.

I just beat this pile of s*** game tonight.

There shall not be a new game+...

StarryKnights
2 years ago#6
The Chrono Trigger level New Game+ was what originally sold me on the game, and the more traditional RPG elements that were ripped out of the series starting with 3.

Sadly, WA5 is the sum of its parts. It does nothing with all the various bits and pieces it has, and the central experience is lackluster, to say the least.

When I arrived at Laila Belle and it turned out to be another couple of screens of pushing story flags along, I feared the worst. And the worst came to life in Tartarus, a bonus dungeon, where I stopped caring entirely about the game. So no, I won't be experiencing the time loop nonsense. I'm sure it was delightfully stupid, though.

By the way, Media Vision: Have the player get the ability to evacuate dungeons BEFORE you introduce immensely complex dungeons with rooms that all look the same. You wankers.

It's sad this is how the series ended. Not the dazzling highs of Wild Arms 2. Not the bizarre eccentricities of the third. But this.

User Info: SheenavsKilley

SheenavsKilley
2 years ago#7
foxinaboxx posted...
>I just beat this pile of s*** game tonight.

WA5 is indeed a pile of s***.
It's really bad for a Wild Arms game.

StarryKnights
2 years ago#8
I wouldn't say it's crap. Just thoroughly mediocre, a puzzle set where the pieces don't fit together properly.
  1. Boards
  2. Wild ARMs 5
  3. The story has lost me. <Spoilers>
  • Topic Archived