• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wild ARMs 5
  3. Looking to buy this game.

User Info: Netelus

Netelus
3 years ago#1
Hello. I'm looking to buy this game but before I do that I need to know if there's anyway to prevent random battles. Like is there an item for that? And does this game have a World Map that can be brought up in-game?

User Info: SheenavsKilley

SheenavsKilley
3 years ago#2
The world map is useless, this is the worst of the Wild Arms series
Behaviorism posted...
Her lack of nose is unacceptable. Release it as DLC if need be.

User Info: Netelus

Netelus
3 years ago#3
>.< What about Alter Code F and part 4?

SheenavsKilley
3 years ago#4
Wild Arms 3 and 4 are awesome
Wild Arms 5 is almost like garbage
Behaviorism posted...

User Info: knightSquall17

knightSquall17
3 years ago#5
Why are #s 3 and 4 better than the fifth one?
I have been looking around to get another WA game too (only played 1 and 2, and loved #2) and from what I see #4 seems like the bad one, so care to explain why you think 3 and 4 are better than 5 ? #3 is pretty old, it came out when the ps2 came out, so I would think that #5 should have improved. I think I will watch youtube gameplay videos of all 3 and decide, but any info from someone who played all WA games is good.....

For the topic creator:
If you haven't played the 2nd one, do that. You can't avoid random battles, but the game and the characters were excellent from the start. In fact, I liked it as much as the other far more popular rpg (Final Fantasy 7) and in terms of solving great puzzles in the dungeons it was the best one I played. WA2 is like one of the most underrated rpgs of all time, no kidding..... if you want an old rpg game that will leave you amazed, however, get Chrono Cross instead, or Planescape Torment for PC. Chrono Cross and PT were in a league of their own as far as rpgs go. Nothing compares to those two. I am looking for another WA only because I already played those AND WA2, and now I wonder if any of the others were as good as the 2nd one (which would mean they are worth playing for sure).
"Return to a place that has not changed years later and you will realize the ways in which you yourself have changed."

SheenavsKilley
3 years ago#6
You should just play the game yourself, the battle system is the worst, and the maps, dungeon&world maps are so useless. It does have some good puzzles but the battle system is a huge letdown.

It's much harder to get the items on the world map if you follow the coordinates like WA3. I gave up getting items early in the game coz it's so annoying. I did finish the game but haven't done the sidequests. I just can't take it anymore, so many disappointments in WA5
Behaviorism posted...

User Info: Weakupedia

Weakupedia
3 years ago#7
I personally find WA5 to have one of the best battle systems in a JRPG. I'm curious to know what makes WA5's system garbage when it improves on 4's and isn't totally broken by a single character (Raquel)?
We are not who we are.

SheenavsKilley
3 years ago#8
The mediums are useless in WA5, only the sword medium is of any use
It improves on 4? It actually makes everything worse
Behaviorism posted...

User Info: Dark Wyvern

Dark Wyvern
3 years ago#9
The world map of Wild ARMs 4 was awesome? Don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before. There was no world map; it was a screen where you pointed which area you wanted to go to next.

The world map of WA5 is done in the style of FFXII, as in you'll be on the same scale as if you were in a dungeon. The result is that it will take longer to walk from place to place compared to an "old school" world map where you cross vast distances rather quickly, and it will be harder to find hidden items (because of your perspective and the scale of things). Whether or not you view that as bad or good is up to you, but I certainly wouldn't call it terrible. The actual world map that you can bring up from the menu is lacking, but this is the case in most games.

I think what people love so much about the battle system in WA4 is the simplicity of the whole system, while at the same time being new and innovative. The system wasn't that broken, but Raquel was. WA5 really did try to expand upon everything that WA4, some of the additions are good, some are cheap, and some are bad. I think more people would have complained if they left the system exactly the same and criticized them for not trying anything new if the exact same battle system was left in though. If anything else, it certainly gives you much more choice than its predecessor.

As far as avoiding encounters in WA5, yes, you can. It is a bit different than past games though, in this entry you will get to a point in each dungeon (and much later in the game for the actual world map quadrants) where you can "purify" a certain something (by beating it), which will allow you to completely turn off encounters if you wish.

Wild ARMs fans are generally all over the map when it comes to choosing a favorite. It's not like Suikoden, where the majority of people will tell you S2 is the best. You'll get a different answer from almost everyone. Having played them all multiple times, doing challenge runs, speed runs, 100% runs, etc... here's my ranking:

WA:ACF / WA1, WA3, WA5, WA4, WA2, WA:XF

The good thing is, though, that I wouldn't say there is a huge gap between WA:ACF and WA2; they're all solid entries, so I would say try them all and choose which one you like the best. I put XF last because it's a handheld game and I'm just not a fan of playing games on a small screen.

Also, a small correction to what another poster said, you can avoid encounters in WA2.

SheenavsKilley
3 years ago#10
Dark Wyvern posted...

I never said WA4 has a world map
The map/world map is done differently from from FFXII. In WA5, it doesn't point out where you are exactly in the area like FFXII which pinpoints your exact location. WA5's map just tells you that you are in this area. The map/world map is absolutely terrible
Your signature contains 2 line breaks, the maximum allowed is 1.
  1. Boards
  2. Wild ARMs 5
  3. Looking to buy this game.
  • Topic Archived