• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. Hooking up a Wii to a HDMI input only TV?
kablamo 1 month ago#1
I have an old Wii and new TV, whats the best way to hook the Wii up? TV only has HDMI inputs.
sorry for my language.
BlanketPI 1 month ago#2
So you need something that converts from either composite or component video to HDMI. I'm not sure what the best converter is, so hopefully someone else can tell you, but you can always look it up.
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." - G.K. Chesterton
There are adapters that are about $10. Look for 'Wii2HDMI'. They're little white boxes that plug in to the Wii's AV output and have an HDMI output on the other end.
triple_lei 1 month ago#4
For the Wii, those cheap adapters will probably be okay.

On the other end of the spectrum, go for a RetroTINK 5X-Pro. It's the hip new video scaler all the cool kids are using. Before, it was the Framemeister, but it's been completely obsoleted.
EvilResident 1 month ago#5
@kablamo get the RetroTINK 5X-Pro.
---
kablamo 1 month ago#6
I ordered the Wii2HDMI, see how it goes.

Have read that trying to digitize the signal to 1080 can cause adverse issues?

Will try something else if not satisfactory, I appreciate the recommendations.
sorry for my language.
kablamo 1 month ago#7
EvilResident posted...
@kablamo get the RetroTINK 5X-Pro.
Wow, that's a bit pricey..... and hard-core.
sorry for my language.
Ryan Si 1 month ago#8
I use a retro-tink 2X pro. It's not quite as versatile as the new 5X, but it's a lot cheaper and does what I need it to do. Those cheap, chinese-made generic "system2hdmi" adapters will probably end up burning down your house.
(edited 1 month ago)
kablamo 1 month ago#9
Ryan Si posted...
I use a retro-tink 2X pro. It's not quite as versatile as the new 5X, but it's a lot cheaper and does what I need it to do. Those cheap, chinese-made generic "system2hdmi" adapters will probably end up burning down your house.
That looks good and is a bit more reasonable, decent deals on used ones. Thanks.
sorry for my language.
Grizzmeister 1 month ago#10
Several years ago I purchased a couple of Wii2HDMI adapters just as a backup plan. Tried them out and came away disappointed with the amount of video noise they introduce. Running component cables is still a much better solution and luckily I still have that option on my CRT and LCD television sets as both include component inputs.

I did order a RetroTINK 2X-Mini recently but that's mostly so I can keep playing my SNES and N64 in the future when my CRT dies. The Mini wasn't too expensive and is a logical purchase given that I own an EverDrive 64 and just ordered a FXPAK PRO this Black Friday.
Speaking on condition of anonymity.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. Hooking up a Wii to a HDMI input only TV?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A