• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. Theory : you can use your phone as a wiimote
amir64 2 months ago#1
Your phone has everything a wiimote has, like:speakers, rumble, accelerometer, gyroscope, Bluetooth connection

The only thing it's missing is the buttons which you could use your screen to have digital buttons

Do you think that it is possible to do it?
(edited 2 months ago)
themastah 2 months ago#2
Does it have an infrared sensor? That is the whole thing that makes the wiimote work.
A wild blog has appeared!
http://thedeepindigo.wordpress.com - A new blog about M:TG and other games: this one has updates!
amir64 2 months ago#3
themastah posted...
Does it have an infrared sensor? That is the whole thing that makes the wiimote work.
Maybe you could use the gyroscope as a thing to move the cursor or you could use your phone camera or have a fake on screen joystick for the cursor or some phone come with a little ir emitter to use as a remote maybe we could use that
(edited 2 months ago)
themastah 2 months ago#4
amir64 posted...
Maybe you could use the gyroscope as a thing to move the cursor or you could use your phone camera or have a fake on screen joystick for the cursor or some phone come with a little ir emitter to use as a remote maybe we could use that
Gyroscopes are too inaccurate, they have problems with drift, so you need something with global positioning.

You don't need an IR emitter - the sensor bar is actually the IR emitter, and the wii mote is the sensor. So you nee a phone with an IR sensor on it somewhere, or something that can be plugged in.

What's the goal here? Phones are more expensive than wiimotes, do you want to develop a game that makes use of something a phone can do?
http://thedeepindigo.wordpress.com - A new blog about M:TG and other games: this one has updates!
amir64 2 months ago#5
themastah posted...
Gyroscopes are too inaccurate, they have problems with drift, so you need something with global positioning.

You don't need an IR emitter - the sensor bar is actually the IR emitter, and the wii mote is the sensor. So you nee a phone with an IR sensor on it somewhere, or something that can be plugged in.

What's the goal here? Phones are more expensive than wiimotes, do you want to develop a game that makes use of something a phone can do?
1. what I meant was to use the ir emitter to move the cursor where you put the Wiimote instead of a sensor bar, so essentially swap the Wiimote and the sensor bar

2. but game builder garage's pointer mode does it very accurately (and I think their gyroscope are similar in accuracy) and I said that maybe you could put an on-screen joystick to move the cursor similar to what the classic controller does but with a real joystick

And 3. I want to know if it works, probably works with some adapters or we could use wires instead of bluetooth, also, I'm not developing any games
(edited 2 months ago)
themastah 2 months ago#6
  1. I guess you could do that, but then you have the problem of an IR emitter on the phone. I guess that could be done with peripheral.
  2. Technology has indeed gotten better, so maybe it's possible. I doubt phone gyros are good enough, but I'm not the expert. If you want to interface with Wii games, you'd ahve to translate gyro input to the 6-DOF information that the wiimote expects.
So I think to answer the question - if you want to motion control games using your phone - yeah, it's probably possible, depending on the quality of sensors in that particular phone. The solution would likely be a little different than a wiimote though, as you point out in 2.
ZoqFotPik 2 months ago#7
amir64 posted...
1. what I meant was to use the ir emitter to move the cursor where you put the Wiimote instead of a sensor bar, so essentially swap the Wiimote and the sensor bar

But then you would have to reprogram the console to accept that; the Wii-mote currently feeds back information based on relative positioning with the iR reader and gyroscope.

If you could build an intermediary to intercept and capture movement data, then translate it into positioning that the Wii could understand, you could use any tool, such as VR cameras.
I am not the FOT!
~~the Zoq, the Fot & the Pik~~
amir64 2 months ago#8
ZoqFotPik posted...
But then you would have to reprogram the console to accept that; the Wii-mote currently feeds back information based on relative positioning with the iR reader and gyroscope.

If you could build an intermediary to intercept and capture movement data, then translate it into positioning that the Wii could understand, you could use any tool, such as VR cameras.
of course, that is a problem
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. Theory : you can use your phone as a wiimote
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A