This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. Water effects are beatiful on wii

User Info: MarcosVS647

MarcosVS647
2 months ago#1
Maybe its me but for as underpowered as people say the wii is I found that lots of its games have very beatifull water effects.
Water is not really a thing that I pay much attention in games but god damn, some of the wii games have better water effects than some of the newest HD game systems.
Some examples of games that I noticed the water effects:
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1&2
There's not much I can say about this one, but when I dive into the water in those games it really feels very immersive like I'm really swimming under the sea, of course the games are much beatiful in other areas too like Gusty garden galaxy for example is amazing on its aesthetics.
  • Kirby Return to Dreamland
The main level that made me really notice the water effects in this game is Onion Ocean 1, I just love the waves rising on the sand in the background and the water on the foreground where the player is walking is beatiful as well, also I dare say that this game have a very good art direction, the colors of the levels pops and make everything come together making Dream Land feel very alive and the water here is gourgeous to the point that its better than the water effects from star allies which is an HD game.

• Crash of the Titans & Mind over mutant
There not actually a water level in any of those games, but I have played them on ps2, xbox 360,PSP and Wii and I noticed that the games had a nice reflect effect added to the water in the wii version, for example in the lake close to Crash's house its possible to see his reflect on the water when the player is walking in there.

User Info: BlanketPI

BlanketPI
2 months ago#2
So, there's actually a channel that's gone a fair bit in depth as to how SMG/SMG2 make the water look so good. If you're curious about the technical stuff (it's approachable for those who know very little to nothing, though you may find the references to past stuff a little hard to keep track of), here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DaysAreRare

It goes into a lot of detail, and while it may break some of the illusion (more so Wind Waker than the Galaxy games), it will probably also give you a huge amount of appreciation for the weird stuff they did to make it look so great. Nintendo is great at making water look good. They were also great with it on the Gamecube, which is good, because two of their heaviest hitters had a lot of it. (Sunshine and Wind Waker)
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." - G.K. Chesterton

User Info: ViniciusFernand

ViniciusFernand
2 months ago#3
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/2/4/4/AAZ1peAAAi-M.jpg
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/4/6/9/AAXOK4AACWgV.jpg
Sorry, nothing to add but memes.

User Info: str8Knowledge

str8Knowledge
2 months ago#4
BlanketPI posted...
They were also great with it on the Gamecube, which is good, because two of their heaviest hitters had a lot of it. (Sunshine and Wind Waker)

Makes sense. Wii is 2 gamecubes combined.

BlanketPI
2 months ago#5
str8Knowledge posted...
Makes sense. Wii is 2 gamecubes combined.
Not really. In terms of CPUs, it's more like 3 combined. (2 cores at going at 1.5 times the speed is usually just under 1 core 3 times the speed.) In terms of GPU, it seems to be very slightly less than a Gamecube-and-a-half. (Basically in terms of raw speed, it's a Gamecube-and-a-half, but it doesn't seem to have any extra cache/VRAM, despite that cache/VRAM going faster. But I don't know if it doesn't also free up some resources by devoting more computations to extra parts or whatever.)
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." - G.K. Chesterton
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: TheReaSolCutter

TheReaSolCutter
2 months ago#6
Endless Ocean 2 on Wii. Stunning game given the system limitations.

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
2 months ago#7
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/09/soapbox_wave_race_64_is_now_25_years_old_and_it_still_rules
---

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
1 month ago#8
7/10 Too much water.

Sorry, couldn't resist. In general, the Wii has some gorgeous games that still hold up IMO.
Now playing: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS), Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS/Wii U), Uncharted 2 (PS3) and many more...

BlanketPI
1 month ago#9
darthcorpse posted...
7.8/10 Too much water.

Sorry, couldn't resist. In general, the Wii has some gorgeous games that still hold up IMO.
Fixed that for you.

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
1 month ago#10
BlanketPI posted...
Fixed that for you.
Oh, thanks lol. I had forgotten that.
Now playing: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS), Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS/Wii U), Uncharted 2 (PS3) and many more...
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. Water effects are beatiful on wii
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A