This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. Component Cable HDTV and Neo Geo Virtual Console Games

User Info: esoteric42

esoteric42
5 years ago#1
I have a 19" Insignia 720p HDTV and can't seem to find the right settings to get NeoGeo virtual console games to display properly, or at all.

When I set my Wii to 480i (widescreen), I get a squished image on the top half of the screen, and green bars on the bottom half.

When I set my Wii to 480p (widescreen) I get no image at all.

Is the problem with my TV or is this native to NeoGeo virtual console games?
Let Nintendo know what you think!
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform/

User Info: splitt442

splitt442
5 years ago#2
Wii Component Cable Interlace Mode

The mode can be enabled by accessing the operations guide of the game, and (with the Nunchuk attached) pressing the buttons Z + A + 2 simultaneously.

The mode can be disabled by using the same method, but with the button combination Z + A + 1 instead.
Toaplan Forever.

User Info: TheReaSolCutter

TheReaSolCutter
5 years ago#3
That's odd. You want your Wii in 480P Widescreen. I assume that the Wii Menu and other VC system (VC N64, VC NES?) games work. My experience is that when the Wii is in 480P, it will scale all VC content to 480P. I goolged 'insignia 19" 720p manaul" and the manual I'm reading says it will display 480p over HDMI. My first thought is you actually had the Wii in interlace mode, either because the componant cable isn't completely connected (or you have a composite cable and are confused) or there's an issue with that component input on the TV. I say that because my observation is that Wii will try to send out lower resolutions if the Wii is in 480i mode (ie it will send 240p).

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
5 years ago#4
Neo Geo virtual console games don't support 480p. Or 50hz only ones.
In both cases you need to use interlace mode if available, for component on 240p/288p incompatible TVs.

Mega Man X Collection however is unplayable when this happens. It has no 480i option.
3ds fc: 5026 4515 5016
We'll ion buzz to the blue stars over there!?

User Info: esoteric42

esoteric42
5 years ago#5
So Z+A+2 works.

Is there a way to pull the same trick with the classic controller attached, instead of the nunchuck?

Just so I'm not having to swap them out?
Let Nintendo know what you think!
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform/

splitt442
5 years ago#6
esoteric42 posted...
So Z+A+2 works.

Is there a way to pull the same trick with the classic controller attached, instead of the nunchuck?

Just so I'm not having to swap them out?

You only have to do it once.
Toaplan Forever.

Lum_Yatsura
5 years ago#7
Mainly it shows how outdated Wii is. This problem inherited from the PS2.

splitt442
5 years ago#8
Lum_Yatsura posted...
Mainly it shows how outdated Wii is. This problem inherited from the PS2.

You do realize 240p is something people actually appreciate, right? It's closer to arcade perfect resolution.
Toaplan Forever.

Lum_Yatsura
5 years ago#9
I meant the laziness on Nintendo's part. They had more than enough time between the PS2 and Wii launches to realize this would be an issue.

User Info: SSBCandidates

SSBCandidates
5 years ago#10
TheReaSolCutter posted...
That's odd. You want your Wii in 480P Widescreen. I assume that the Wii Menu and other VC system (VC N64, VC NES?) games work. My experience is that when the Wii is in 480P, it will scale all VC content to 480P. I goolged 'insignia 19" 720p manaul" and the manual I'm reading says it will display 480p over HDMI. My first thought is you actually had the Wii in interlace mode, either because the componant cable isn't completely connected (or you have a composite cable and are confused) or there's an issue with that component input on the TV. I say that because my observation is that Wii will try to send out lower resolutions if the Wii is in 480i mode (ie it will send 240p).

Where can I check such things? We have a Toshiba 32 inch LCD 780p. And yet we receive 1080i on it. Why is that?
  1. Boards
  2. Nintendo Wii
  3. Component Cable HDTV and Neo Geo Virtual Console Games
  • Topic Archived