• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Diablo III
  3. My beta experience... Torchlight 2 will be better.

User Info: SPHlNCTER

SPHlNCTER
9 years ago#1
Having played through the beta a few times, I have come to the conclusion that Torchlight 2 will be better than Diablo 3.

The game seemingly does away with the skill build system of D1 and D2. Being able to switch skills on the fly COULD be a simple beta function allowing players more skills to mess with however.

Mana/hate/etc... bars refill too fast. I can go spam happy without any regard for my pool management.

Dropping red orbs every few kills takes away from the game experience. The game is much easier than the intro areas of D1 and D2. However, it IS only the beginning of beta.

The graphics are "ok". Somewhat decent atmosphere at times, the cathedral feels like diablo/torchlight which is good.

The quest system is essentially WoW. Not sure how I feel about it. I wish it was closer to Diablo 1 style personally... Also, your character having dialogue is terrible. Makes me cringe hearing it, and it doesnt add to the gameplay experience. This game would benefit having a "mostly silent" hero.

Classes seem to have little originality. Many of the classes are just reskins of previous classes from D1/2. Demon hunter does have a cool ability that makes him teleport/backflip if he shoots an enemy within a certain range.

My biggest problem with D3 is the fact that they are making to begin with. I have no idea how you can justify bringing back diablo etc after finishing Diablo 2... It is just like bringing back ragnaros in WoW, or brining back onyxia and BWL. I can almost give bringing back naxxramus due to the timing of its initial release. This game screams "please give us money" without having any serious effort to be original.
NO U

User Info: ChaoticKane

ChaoticKane
9 years ago#2
You've played around 1/12th of an unfinished build of Diablo III. You haven't played Torchlight 2.

How exactly are you comfortable making this assessment?
But lets not forget how deadly the zerg were in Starship troopers! Well until the Terrans got Marauders. - julbull73

SPHlNCTER
9 years ago#3
The first 1/12 of torchlight 1 was immensely more fun than the first 1/12 of D3.

Blizzard track record has been bad.

Diablo 1 and 2 had better atmosphere early on than Diablo 3.

Diablo 1 and 2 had more unique classes than D3 thus far.

Unless they can fundamentally change the gameplay, improve the atmosphere/story, and revamp the classes... the game will be bland.
NO U

User Info: TheJCBand

TheJCBand
9 years ago#4
ChaoticKane posted...
You've played around 1/12th of an unfinished build of Diablo III. You haven't played Torchlight 2.

Fanboy is offended.
Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither.

SPHlNCTER
9 years ago#5
Let me just note: I loved Diablo 1 and 2. They were great. Torchlight was also great. Torchlight was also 20 bucks... Diablo 3 will be 60. Torchlight 2 will be 20 bucks.

Torchlight IS better than diablo 3
NO U

User Info: DeadByMay

DeadByMay
9 years ago#6
Ozzman62 posted...
Having played through the beta a few times, I have come to the conclusion that Torchlight 2 will be better than Diablo 3.

The game seemingly does away with the skill build system of D1 and D2. Being able to switch skills on the fly COULD be a simple beta function allowing players more skills to mess with however.

Mana/hate/etc... bars refill too fast. I can go spam happy without any regard for my pool management.

Dropping red orbs every few kills takes away from the game experience. The game is much easier than the intro areas of D1 and D2. However, it IS only the beginning of beta.

The graphics are "ok". Somewhat decent atmosphere at times, the cathedral feels like diablo/torchlight which is good.

The quest system is essentially WoW. Not sure how I feel about it. I wish it was closer to Diablo 1 style personally... Also, your character having dialogue is terrible. Makes me cringe hearing it, and it doesnt add to the gameplay experience. This game would benefit having a "mostly silent" hero.

Classes seem to have little originality. Many of the classes are just reskins of previous classes from D1/2. Demon hunter does have a cool ability that makes him teleport/backflip if he shoots an enemy within a certain range.

My biggest problem with D3 is the fact that they are making to begin with. I have no idea how you can justify bringing back diablo etc after finishing Diablo 2... It is just like bringing back ragnaros in WoW, or brining back onyxia and BWL. I can almost give bringing back naxxramus due to the timing of its initial release. This game screams "please give us money" without having any serious effort to be original.

You really have no clue about the lore of the Diablo universe do you?

User Info: Mystickay86

Mystickay86
9 years ago#7
TheJCBand posted...
ChaoticKane posted...

Fanboy is offended.

er umm....he's actually *Gulps* making logical sense. *gives you a dictionary to understand the word logic*.

SPHlNCTER
9 years ago#8
You killed diablo. You completely killed him and smashed his soulstone. He is pretty dead. But wait, blizzard needs more money... so when u kill him and smash his soulstone he only dies for a little bit and then comes back EVEN STRONGER.
NO U

SPHlNCTER
9 years ago#9
SPOILERS:

KING LEORIC IS BACK. THIS TIME WITH PROSTHETIC LEGS!

yeah, blizzard isnt rehashing old content.
NO U

User Info: lderivedx

lderivedx
9 years ago#10
There are people that CARE about the story? o_0
this is a shining example of why people with alternating caps in their names are treated like special children. - Sin
GT: i derive dx
  1. Boards
  2. Diablo III
  3. My beta experience... Torchlight 2 will be better.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A