• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VI Advance
  3. Berserk Effect on Fixed Dice / Setzer (or whoever's using it) ?

User Info: AlekTrev006

AlekTrev006
3 years ago#1
Hey all, long-time fan and browser in this forum, but I don't think I've posted before ?

I had read a thread from some time back (years) implying that Berserk effect actually boosted the damage a Fixed Dice (or presumably regular Dice too) user did ?

Is that accurate ? How exactly does it work (to boost) - and by how much ?

Also, how is Berserk inflicted on a target, when you cast the spell. Like, say Terra is trying to cast Berserk on Setzer. Assume both are same level (45, in my case). Now...does it use a Magic Power versus Magic Defense calculation ? Or does it always (100%) affect the target - if they aren't inherently immune to it due to equipment / Relics / Raging ?

* thanks for any help or info you guys can provide, and thanks for all the great threads and strategies you have discussed here, over the years :-)

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
3 years ago#2
Per the FF Wiki:

Berserk

A character affected with Berserk will attack enemies uncontrollably with a physical damage bonus of +50%. Affected enemies will always use normal physical attacks. The affected character(s) can use Attack or any of the following commands if available: Attack, Mug, Jump, Rage, or Magitek. Note that Attack appears twice; the first is always available, instances where it allows the character(s) without the command to use it, and increases the odds for everyone else.

Me again:

Seems like it would work since it increases damage, and not attack power (1 on fixed dice, which would still be 1 due to truncating). I say try it with and without berserk on and see if you get the same damage from the same rolls.
Currently: Killing dinos on the long road from 23 to 99 on a perfect stat run. Economizers: 3 Cursed Shield: uncursed. Characters left: Umaro. Avg lvl: 47

AlekTrev006
3 years ago#3
Kigalas posted...
Per the FF Wiki:

Berserk

A character affected with Berserk will attack enemies uncontrollably with a physical damage bonus of +50%. Affected enemies will always use normal physical attacks. The affected character(s) can use Attack or any of the following commands if available: Attack, Mug, Jump, Rage, or Magitek. Note that Attack appears twice; the first is always available, instances where it allows the character(s) without the command to use it, and increases the odds for everyone else.

Me again:

Seems like it would work since it increases damage, and not attack power (1 on fixed dice, which would still be 1 due to truncating). I say try it with and without berserk on and see if you get the same damage from the same rolls.

The thing is, Fixed Dice don't operate like any other weapon, as far as I'm aware ? (well, technically regular Dice are similar, but weaker due to only 2 thrown, instead of 3). I wouldn't think of them as dealing "physical damage" in the same way as hacking someone with Ragnarok or a Magus Rod ? Perhaps I'm mistaken though- maybe they ARE the same, in the game's coding ?

Still...how would that work ...the game works out your expected damage, from the 3 dice results, and your Character's Level ....THEN takes that number (whatever it would have been) and multiplies by 0.5 (50% bonus), then adds that value to the original result - and what's displayed instantly on-screen, for your "Final Damage Result" is that new, buffed up value ?

If it works that way, I could see you putting out 9999 results, per toss, much sooner that you otherwise might, Level-wise. I think you can start seeing 9999's around Level-30, normally ? Maybe less, if you get the "perfect" roll of 3 "sixes".

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
3 years ago#4
I just did a test using my Setzer, lvl 44 with Fixed Dice, Paladin Shield, Gengi Helm/Armour. Here are the results that mattered:

Fixed dice test

Standard
1,2,5 - 880
1,4,6 - 2112
2,4,4 - 2816

Berserked
1,2,5 - 1320
1,4,6 - 3168
2,4,4 - 4224

All the berserked numbers came back with exactly +50% damage, so there you have it.
Currently: Killing dinos on the long road from 23 to 99 on a perfect stat run. Economizers: 3 Cursed Shield: uncursed. Characters left: Umaro. Avg lvl: 47

AlekTrev006
3 years ago#5
Kigalas posted...
I just did a test using my Setzer, lvl 44 with Fixed Dice, Paladin Shield, Gengi Helm/Armour. Here are the results that mattered:

Fixed dice test

Standard
1,2,5 - 880
1,4,6 - 2112
2,4,4 - 2816

Berserked
1,2,5 - 1320
1,4,6 - 3168
2,4,4 - 4224

All the berserked numbers came back with exactly +50% damage, so there you have it.

Excellent ! Thank you, Kigalas :-)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VI Advance
  3. Berserk Effect on Fixed Dice / Setzer (or whoever's using it) ?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A