So, how is the script in comparison to Woolsey's?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VI Advance
  3. So, how is the script in comparison to Woolsey's?

User Info: Meifumado9

Meifumado9
7 years ago#1
Does this game's script still feature things like Locke overreacting to being called a thief and dancing around how Celes attempted suicide?

User Info: Dark_Einherjar

Dark_Einherjar
7 years ago#2
The only thing that got removed was Celes' intro: she no longer takes a beating from an Imperial.

The rest is mostly translation changes.

User Info: Sheoldred

Sheoldred
7 years ago#3
Still features Locke's overreactions for the most part, but I don't think it's dancing around the suicide as much anymore (so I've been told, I went the other route in my playthrough of the GBA ver).

A lot of lines that - in retrospect - didn't make a whole lot of sense were cleaned up and make more sense now thanks to a better editing process probably, but some well-worded stuff was also lost or changed. A decent amount of the good old lines still remain though. I'd say it's a mixed bag. Better for accuracy but loses some spark in specific cases.

There are a few cases where it adds some spark of its own that wasn't present in Woolsey's translation though, like rhyming the second clothing theft line Locke pulls off in his scenario (the one from the soldier) to parallel the first, although I guess some might find both those lines cheesy.

User Info: MeepleLardicle

MeepleLardicle
7 years ago#4
Even if I'm a little late, echoing Bloody Excrement for the most part.

Its more accurate, but also more literal, so less flair on some of the lines. Flip-side, some lines are clearer, cause the game had more room to actually translate appropriately, instead of being forced to cut corners the way Woolsey did to save space, due to the utter lack of free space on the SNES cart.

For an example of a more literal translated line, Kefka's famous "Hate" line was turned into more just an over the top degrading statement. Yeah, it still gets the point across that he's angry at Celes, but it lacks the same kind of flair as him yelling "Hate" 16 times. Feels more generic going the insult route than the Hate route (Dissidia luckily brought the hates back, for whatever that's worth.)

I wouldn't say this translation is better or worse, so much as has its ups and downs relative to the Woolsey.
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!

User Info: Starloving_Fool

Starloving_Fool
7 years ago#5
I wouldn't say this translation is better or worse, so much as has its ups and downs relative to the Woolsey.

I agree with this statement. The script has the benefit of being more accurate but as it's also less "Americanized", it would seem to have lost some of its "flavor"... much like how Frog in Chrono Trigger now sounds like a generic run-of-the-mill villager instead of a faux Shakespearean actor or Old Englishe type Arthurian legend knight.

It's not wholly a bad script, but not wholly a good script either for American audiences, anyway.
"Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you!" - Sabin
"Wow... me fail English? That's unpossible!"

User Info: TimeSpaceMage

TimeSpaceMage
7 years ago#6
I really liked the new script, even with a few of my favorite lines getting changed. There are some really good ones, and I finally understand some parts that didn't make sense all those years ago. For an example of a good line: during the Imperial march on Narshe, Kefka's troops try to reason with him that Narshe is still neutral. He yells back at his troops "There's a reason "oppose" rhymes with "dispose"! If they get in your way, kill them!"
"Please lend me your panties for a dangerous mission." ~Cloud Strife, unused FF7 text
Proudly serving in the US Air Force.

User Info: Djibriel

Djibriel
7 years ago#7
It reads like a blend of Woolsey's localization and Sky Render's RPGOne translation patch, who attempted to translate the original Japanese game as directly as possible. I feel it's pointless to compare one to the other as all three translations adequatly complete the mission set out for them.

Woolsey could never have done a more accurate job than he did; he was constrained by space limitations and, from what I understand, very little time and the order to avoid adult-oriented themes such as religion, blood, death, etc. The new translator, Slattery, needed to re-translate and could never capture the nostalgia of Submariner's sons and all that jazz.

If you want to have an alternative to Woolsey's "liberties", Slattery's translation's decent. But if you want to have a translation that ignores readability in favor of the real cut 'n dry Japanese lines translated to English, the RPGOne patch is the way to go. You're not getting closer to the source text without learning moonspeak.
The genius who created me only took care of my dashing good looks, my razor sharp wit and my irresistible attraction to the wrong women.

User Info: MeepleLardicle

MeepleLardicle
7 years ago#8
One of the problems with Fan Translators is that they THINK they know exactly what they're doing, cause they have knowledge about japanese, but they don't have full knowledge of the language in terms of what certain terms pertain, the actual meaning behind some statements ("I'll never forgive you!" in Japanese is apparently a much stronger statement than "I hate you!"; in English, they're about the same), and just the culture in general is different. Both Woolsey and Slattery's translations do acknowledge some of these differences, and adapt accordingly; RPGone did not.

I still think the greatest sign to how Fan Translators are often jumping to wild assumptions and don't actually know what the real developers want is, interestingly, Kefka himself.

I've heard lots of claims about Kefka, that he was intended to be nothing like his Woolsey self, and all that. That Woolsey "missed the point" and didn't adapt him properly, partially cause he failed at writing, others cause it was a quirk of Japanese writing that allowed him to be that way. This...is very much not true though...

Proof? Japan approves of Woolsey's version of Kefka more so than the version they got. Kefka was not popular in Japan cause he was a lamer in FF6; basically just a flamboyant Ex-death. Kefka is reasonably popular in Dissidia, however, overseas, and even Kitase himself said "THAT'S exactly how I imagined Kefka!" They very clearly took elements of Woolsey's Kefka and incorporated them in there, cause Woolsey captured that aspect that Kitase was aiming for. In fact, for the original game, Kefka was rated #1 by play testers as far as whose "Fun" to play as, purely cause he was a riot (funny spell names, skips and prances in battle, attacks make NO SENSE, etc.)
It was a great example at how Woolsey didn't fail at Kefka...quite the reverse, he succeeded BETTER than the original was, and Square themselves approve of this.
Slattery for the most part just copied Woolsey's style of Kefka; yeah, removed some of his famous one liners, but as was noted, he gained a few other one-liners that fit in with Woolsey's anyway, so its a fair trade. Either way, he's still got a good deal of comic relief while retaining the "serious threat" value.

Purists, though, believe that ruined Kefka's character and missed the point, even though if anything, its the purists who miss the point. Much like how people whined at the semi-gag dub that Godzilla 2000 had...when Toho themselves responded with a favorable opinion to dubbing the movie in that style.
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VI Advance
  3. So, how is the script in comparison to Woolsey's?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived