You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy V Advance
  3. What effects !Lance mechanics?

User Info: StyrixA

StyrixA
4 weeks ago#1
I know !Lance isn't a popular ability choice, but I like it as a secondary on a caster for long dungeons. It's nice that it drains MP and works equally well from the back row. What stats effect it? Does it matter what weapon is wielded? Is it Magic or Strength based? Or a percent of stat?

User Info: silktail

silktail
4 weeks ago#2
StyrixA posted...
What stats effect it? Does it matter what weapon is wielded? Is it Magic or Strength based?

It is a Magical Skill.
Level & Magic determine the multiplier and the target's Magic Defence reduces the damage (if you want to reduce that, or Toad them).

Weapons will only be useful for Magic stat boosts.
---

StyrixA
4 weeks ago#3
Thanks! I'm looking at upping the effectiveness in a hack, but I don't want to make it over-powered.

User Info: DeltaInferno

DeltaInferno
3 weeks ago#4
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/898/

A flawed and slightly buggy but useful editor.
3ds friend code:1908 1467 8353

StyrixA
3 weeks ago#5
DeltaInferno posted...
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/898/

A flawed and slightly buggy but useful editor.

Yes, that is a very handy tool. It does have bugs, which I’m trying to work around. Do you know any tips, especially for getting item changes to save?

DeltaInferno
3 weeks ago#6
Honestly it's been forever since I looked into this game, so go ahead and check out the data crystal for file dumps. If I remember correctly when you change the items on a drop list it flips the list for some reason so I would check the review that's posted on romhacking.net and see if that gives you any tips like I said it's been forever since I look at this program

Once I move and get my computer back I can probably take a look at the program I don't talk to Gerigar anymore so there's no way we're going to get this updated but I should still have the notes for this program

I'll see if I still have any of my notes on Dropbox when I go on break today I'm doing a double so I'm going to be very busy. On this site search my username and see if there's any threads where I'm talking to a username Samurai goemon about different offsets that should help you find out how items work

Lastly you should be able to find VIA looking up Final Fantasy 5 notes for the SNES version of the item format for lack of a better term most code except for new content made for the ultimate edition the jobs the Boss excetera run by the same rules so if you find how the items formatted if I remember correctly it's ID power accuracy stats you can then search for that same information in the game and find it that way if you haven't learned how to search I would recommend using the cheat engine and I don't remember how to do it with the VBA anymore

(I'm Zanerus btdubs)
(edited 3 weeks ago)

StyrixA
3 weeks ago#7
Thanks!

StyrixA
3 weeks ago#8
So for a hack, I was thinking that !Lance (name aside) makes more sense as a Black Mage ability. Giving them a back-row damaging way of draining MP is classic, like "Rob Magic" from Dragon Quest. Also, !Lance being Magic based works better with magic characters.

For Dragoons, I'm thinking of giving them !OpenFire instead, as a decent back-row attack. Dragoons love the back row for jumping, but outside of jumping they're pretty weak. This will give them two options. I thought about giving them Long Ranger to reflect the Spear's longer reach, but the problem is it is too powerful a learned ability on other melee classes.

User Info: samurai goroh

samurai goroh
3 weeks ago#9
Hello StyrixA, are you looking into hacking this game? If so, there is a community in Discord that could help you out (It's more focused in the SNES version, but there is also knowledge for the GBA version), I can PM you if you're interested.

And, hi there Zanerus!

Edit: Just realized the other topic >.<
Either way, I'll drop my user name in case you are interested:
samurai goroh#4974
Im the best in the universe! Just remember! [F-zero X]
(edited 3 weeks ago)

DeltaInferno
3 weeks ago#10
samurai goroh posted...
Hello StyrixA, are you looking into hacking this game? If so, there is a community in Discord that could help you out (It's more focused in the SNES version, but there is also knowledge for the GBA version), I can PM you if you're interested.

And, hi there Zanerus!

Edit: Just realized the other topic >.<
Either way, I'll drop my user name in case you are interested:
samurai goroh#4974

DUDE!!!!! LONG TIME NO CHAT.

Im working on a Saga Frontier Patch nowadays and learning Very slowly how to code. Humble bundle sold a bunch of text books and a new coding bundle got announced today.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy V Advance
  3. What effects !Lance mechanics?