• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy V Advance
  3. Job ideas?[Spoilers!]

User Info: Storm_WHM

Storm_WHM
2 years ago#11
You have to think what you want in terms of ABP for your characters.

---

You start off with classes you don't really need for your Spellblade and Rapidfire build, so you will have to use something else at the beginning. The spellcaster characters can dive right into using White Magic and Black Magic right away without delay.

But you don't have to master the mage classes to gain their benefits. You don't need to unlock the last level because they gain the bonus MAG when equipping a school of magic. So you can actually unlock a spellcaster much faster then you can with your physical build, because you don't actually have to unlock the last level.

Those who master Thief will inherently get a +16 AGI when they use Freelancer or Mime. Those who master Monk will get +26 STR and +26 STA when they use Freelancer or Mime. These aren't necessarily needed when you level, but they do give you a better advantage in the end.

---

Bartz
??? - ??? ABP ( You need to start with something. )
Mystic Knight - 680 ABP (Spellblade LVL 6)
Ranger - 600 ABP ( Rapidfire )

Total - 1280 ABP + ??? ABP

----

Lenna
White Mage - 280 ABP ( White Magic LVL 6 )
Summoner - 250 ABP ( Summon LVL 6 )
Red Mage - 1159 ABP ( Dual Cast )

Total - 1689 ABP

----

Krile
Black Mage - 280 ABP ( Black Magic LVL 6 )
Time Mage - 280 ABP ( Time Magic LVL 6 )
Red Mage - 1159 ABP ( Dual Cast )

Total - 1719 ABP

----

In the end your Rapidfire + Spellblade build is actually better with Dual Wield, which would require you to unlock Ninja class for another 690 ABP on top of what he already has. But when you don't take that into account, you still have to figure out what class you will be starting with for him. When you really cramp down on specifics with how you level even a spellcaster levelling as a Red Mage will come out around the same time a Rapid Fire and Spellblade user will in the end.

Dual Cast makes a magic user powerful because they can cast two spells on one turn. You don't need to use Dual Cast but don't dismiss how much power it will give to your spellcasters. A White Mage being able to heal allies and deal damage on a single turn is an asset. A Black Mage will eventually become more powerful because of the synergy with Osmose and Quick.

A Mime using Dual Cast + Black + Time can combo with Osmose + Quick + Flare + Flare + Flare + Flare in a single turn to the most powerful bosses in the game. As Flare will ignore Magic Defence and even deal massive damage to enemies like Omega and Shinryu. ( But since they replenish their own MP without wasting a turn you will never need to worry about MP for these combos. )

You can also use Swords as a Red Mage making it quite good after you have unlocked level 6 schools of magic. This is pretty good when you have a Red Mage with Summon and a Red Mage with Black Magic because they can both still use Cura and Raise. When you need stronger healing you can actually equip Flame Rings and Flame Shields and absorb Firaga from Black Magic rather then using White Magic.

So it really depends on what you yourself consider worth it.
What did you expect? Get over it.

Storm_WHM
2 years ago#12
You basically need ABP to unlock things. Spend it wisely and you can even unlock loads of things with Faris with the same amount of ABP you spend on others.

----

Faris
Knight - 40 ABP ( Cover / Guard )
Monk - 150 ABP ( Focus / Barehanded / Chakra / Counter )
Thief - 185 ABP ( Find Passages / Flee / Sprint / Steal / Vigilance)
Blue Mage - 100 ABP ( Check / Learning / Blue )
Beastmaster - 70 ABP ( Calm / Control )
Geomancer - 25 ABP ( Gaia )
Bard - 175 ABP ( Hide / Equip Harps / Sing )
Chemist - 45 ABP ( Pharmacology / Mix )

Total - 790 ABP ( With tons to spare in comparison to others. )

PS: Barehanded is actually pretty good. ( Take off your shield and you're basically dual wielding. )

---

Anyone who has unlocked Rapidfire, Spellblade and Dual Wield for their Freelancer has spent a minimum of 1970 ABP. ( Any spell-caster with Mime and Dual Cast will cost less then this to build. So when you're going to build the first one, then you surely have spent enough ABP to build the other as well. )

User Info: Peerlessly

Peerlessly
2 years ago#13
Is the Samurai class only good for Iainuki and Gil Toss? I think I heard that one of its' abilities does not work, but I am not sure which one.

Storm_WHM
2 years ago#14
Mineuchi is the one with a bug that doesn't activate it's paralyze effect. ( But it's also an attack that doesn't remove Confuse, Control, or Sleep from enemies. )

Zeninage is a extremely powerful ability, but it does take money to use. It may not be what you're looking for if you want something to use on a consistent basis.

Iainuki can be a good ability but it does have a chance of failure. Honestly, you could just skip this and go with another Rapidfire user.

Shirahadori is a decent passive skill that increases your evasion, it will inherit over to Freelancer and Mime.
(message deleted)
(message deleted)

Peerlessly
2 years ago#17
I don't like relying on chance, even if it is very likely. I don't think I'll use the Samurai class besides its' usage in getting Shirahadori. Do you have any unique setups by any chance involving Blue magic and rapidfire that aren't the same as Bartz skillset? Sorry if I am pestering you.

Peerlessly
2 years ago#18
Sorry, I meant blue magic*. I don't want to share rapid fire on two characters.

Storm_WHM
2 years ago#19
I like Samurai for the Katanas and the ability to use Masamune. ( It has an innate ability that allows you to act first in battle which helps with stealing rare items. When you don't get what you want you just use Return with a Time Mage and it resets the battle and you act first again. You do lose all stolen items when you use return, but you use this so you can steal again for the better items. It saves so much time. But you can also use Samurai just for stealing, it's not like you have to invest in it. )

---

Rapidfire is basically an uber ability. ( Anything that basically enhances your weapon damage will help this ability. So Spellblade and Dual Wield are basically winners when it comes down to this.)

Blue Magic can be very situational to certain battles. You do have access to an ability called "Off-Guard" which will divide the enemies defence by half. This will help your others fighters deal more damage with their weapons. ( Not with rapid-fire because it already ignores defence. )

Aim is surprisingly good because it increases your accuracy. ( If you don't want something too over powered you could go with Aim and Off-Guard for a decent combo.)

---

When you have access to Gladiator you can unlock Bladeblitz which can attack all enemies. (But this is much later in the game. So you might want to consider somethign else in the meantime. )

---

Using Ninja as you base class is quite good because of Throw and Dual Wield. You will be surprised how powerful throwing Elemental Scrolls will be the first time you use them. (It's also one of the best ways to gain ABP in the first world. You buy a bunch of Lightning Scrolls in Bartz home-town and just nuke enemies on an island not far from it and you gain fast ABP and money to buy more scrolls. )

When in the second world you can get Twin-Lances from enemies in a specific basement. Have your Ninjas equipping this will make their attacks pretty powerful. The ninja weapon you get in the third world is also pretty strong by themselves. It gives you a 25% chance to block attack, while the strongest weapon gives you a 25% chance to stop the enemy. If you chose the Chicken Knife, they can use that as one of their weapons too and pour their Agility into the damage.

So maybe a Ninja using Blue Magic would be a decent combo. You have strong weapons and a way to lower the enemies defense so you can deal mroe damage. ( It may also help any Red Mages who also have swords to deal damage when they just want to attack. )

Peerlessly
2 years ago#20
I've decided to alternate between Ninja/Blue Magic and Samurai/Steal for Faris. That sounds interesting. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, and sorry again for bothering you with my stubbornness.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy V Advance
  3. Job ideas?[Spoilers!]
  • Topic Archived