Questions for a new Mass Effect player

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect
  3. Questions for a new Mass Effect player

User Info: KingKilvas

KingKilvas
8 months ago#1
So I have never played Mass Effect before and am going to start this week. I know that you can transfer your character's stats over to the harder difficulties on your second playthrough. I was wondering, can you change your character's class when you go over to your second playthrough? I wanted to start the game as a soldier probably, but in order to get some of the achievements I think you also have to be an Adept and an Engineer, correct?

Also, is it possible for a soldier to use skills like biotic lift or AI Hacking? I'm guessing no? If possible I would like to get all of the "Do ____ 75 times" achievements as soon as I can.
Drink cactus juice! It'll quench ya! Nothin's quenchier! It's the quenchiest!

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
8 months ago#2
KingKilvas posted...
So I have never played Mass Effect before and am going to start this week. I know that you can transfer your character's stats over to the harder difficulties on your second playthrough. I was wondering, can you change your character's class when you go over to your second playthrough?

No. Your character's name, level, talents(skills), class+specialization class and items are what carries over to New Game+.

If you want to play as a different class, you have to start a new playthrough from scratch.

I wanted to start the game as a soldier probably, but in order to get some of the achievements I think you also have to be an Adept and an Engineer, correct?

Yes.

To unlock all the talent achievements, you have to play at least once as a Soldier(Assault Rifles), an Adept(Singularity), and an Engineer(AI Hacking) each.

Also, is it possible for a soldier to use skills like biotic lift or AI Hacking? I'm guessing no? If possible I would like to get all of the "Do ____ 75 times" achievements as soon as I can.

Yes, you can use them. At character creation, you get to choose one bonus talent out of the talents you've got achievements for. This talent will be one your character's class can't normally get, and is available right from the start.

Unfortunately, IIRC this option only becomes available after you beat the game once, so for your very first playthrough you'll have to go without.
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/75581177

KingKilvas
8 months ago#3
Thank you! Another question: does Pinnacle Station's combat missions affect the Tactician achievement? I'm hoping to get that achievement this playthrough.

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
8 months ago#4
KingKilvas posted...
Thank you! Another question: does Pinnacle Station's combat missions affect the Tactician achievement? I'm hoping to get that achievement this playthrough.

I'm afraid I can't help you with this one.

Pinnacle Station is the *only* DLC(well, I guess I might have missed some DLC with only cosmetic stuff too) in the trilogy I haven't played.

In fact, I played through the main story and got that achievement before I even played Bring Down The Sky for the first time, so I'm not sure how DLCs affect getting achievements.

BTW, I checked up a little and apparently you don't need to play as Soldier for the Assault Rifles achievement since you can force other classes to use them anyway. However, without the skill to improve accuracy the weapon will be laughably ineffective, so if you're going to try unlocking it as a different class, refrain from using it until mid-late game when you get some good ARs with good base accuracy, unless you want to find yourself spraying bullets and hitting nothing like an idiot >_>
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/75581177

User Info: Devo

Devo
7 months ago#5
Whoah whoah whoah.

Slightly spoilery: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Achievements

What achievements are you trying to get in ME1? What are you trying to get in ME2?

In ME1, the achievements require power usage. Engineer, Adept, and Soldier are the minimum for getting the powers-used achievements (which then unlock those powers for future playthroughs), but you also have to play through at least twice for Long Service.

You also have to play through at least once on both Hardcore and Insanity difficulties to get their respective achievements.

And at least one play through with a previously-played character to get the "Extreme Power Gamer" (reach level 60) achievement. Unless you use hacks/save editors. Coward.

And then there are the Ally achievements. Give that you can, at most, gain 2 of those achivements each playthrough, and only if you make sure to keep those two specific allies in your party the whole game, you're talking about at least six. (which fits pretty neatly in with playing one each of Engineer, Adept, and Soldier)

And yep, there is a specific achievement for completing every single Pinnacle training mission, including Ahern's.

KingKilvas
7 months ago#6
Thanks for the help everyone.

Currently, I have rescued Liara and have completed four side quests, I think. I'm at level 15.

So right now I'm about to visit the Citadel for the second time, and when I leave the ship, an admiral asks to inspect the Normandy. During this discussion I tried to get all of the Paragon dialogue options, but the very last one was blocked. Apparently you have to have 9 charm to get that last dialogue option. I have 8 charm but am unable to put any more points in charm at this time. I already have 10% of the Paragon bar complete, I believe. Is there any way at this point in the game I could unlock 9 charm? Or should I just do the inspection and get it over with?

User Info: LordTrinen

LordTrinen
7 months ago#7
Eletania. I think that's how you spell it. It's an uncharted world with a small side mission to retrieve a crashed probe. A monkey stole the data drive. Did you do this one yet? There is a glitch there that lets you get infinite Paragon points.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect
  3. Questions for a new Mass Effect player

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived