Intimidated by the game's massive scale to play ME trilogy

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect
  3. Intimidated by the game's massive scale to play ME trilogy

User Info: weakpig

weakpig
1 year ago#1
I'm new to ME and I've known for a long time this is a great game. However, the perfectionist in me requires that I play the game with 100% completion rate and to experience all possible cutscenes/story/conversations.

And to be frank, I am intimidated by ME's massive scale and story arcs and branches that is giving me pause to even start the game.

I have spent for the past 1 month just reading through bits and pieces of ME's guide and tips, but the more i read, the more i uncover and the amount of info required to cover everything is just mind boggling.

I'm so worried that i may miss a certain assignment/story arc/item. I heard that some missions may become inaccessible once you play til a certain point. Is that true?

Does anybody feel the same? Am I over-reacting? Should I "just do it"?
(God)-Global BF ID - 63086 68084 - Leaders: Too many to list (SBB & Lvl Maxed)
Japan BF ID - 5638 7289 - Leaders: Deemo (Maxed)

User Info: BlindFEAR23

BlindFEAR23
1 year ago#2
My advice, just go for it. Depending what choices you make, whether they be paragon or renegade, it is quite impossible to see every possible cutscene and hear all dialogue written in the game in a single playthrough.

Which is the same for the whole trilogy. There are various choices to make regarding the future of the galaxy and people you meet, along with possible love interests, if you so choose, which also differ depending what sex you play as.

Just have fun with it.
I'm Commander Shepard, ***** slapping the universe.

User Info: SimonBlueBerry

SimonBlueBerry
1 year ago#3
The whole series is literally fire. I just recently finished ME2 and started playing 3 today. I'm not a sci-fi guy and I love it. As stated you can't unlock every dialogue on a single playthrough due to the moraility system (which is great imo), but nobody stops you for playing the game multiple times, and if you're like me you will. My only advice would be to stick with a moral and invest in dialogue skills as much as you can because dialogues are the best part of the series IMO (the writings and characters are THAT good for the most part).

Tldr: just go for it. You're in for a hell of a ride and you're gonna miss a lot if you skip it.
~Wings of Night~
Praise the Dark Moon

User Info: Arizona_Joe

Arizona_Joe
1 year ago#4
If you're hunting achievements you're looking at a minimum of 3 playthroughs and that's if you follow a strict guide on maximizing time/achievement. (Assuming you have 2 throw away characters for biotic and tech achievements)

For the actual story part of the game you can do it all in 1 play through just make sure to invest in Paragon or Renegade points to get more conversation options.

If you're worried about not being able to do certain things cause you advanced to far in the story the only thing you need to remember is do anything and everything before Virmire. That 1 mission has no post missions and it unofficially sets up the final path of the game. Also do the Wrex Armor Mission. Just do it.
http://i.imgur.com/VBDN2Pi.gif
https://wwewritten.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/r80.gif

User Info: DarkZapper

DarkZapper
1 year ago#5
im replaying starting at 1 on xbox 1 through the 360 backwards ability. i played on pc before but that one cant handle it anymore. rather try fresh and see it again all over.

i played each one to 100%. its worth doing it 3 times or more. i want to get a full 2nd run in of it all. before the next one comes out. theres time till the next installment to the games. it will be way different too.

time is what is needed. enjoy it how you want. im going for the harder difficulties. make the game insane. survival almost feeling at some fights. try easy on the first run if it helps! the story is the big part.
fc 4940 6803 4203 for 3ds

User Info: BreitbartDotCom

BreitbartDotCom
1 year ago#6
I finally got Valve to give me access to my Steam account (haven't logged in for 4 years and moved quite a number of times during that time), so I'm starting a fresh ME 1 game tonight. I'm starting over since it's been so long.

DarkZapper
1 year ago#7
best way to go. start fresh. going femshepard this time. plan on two play throughs at least. hoping 360 dlc has a sale by then for 2 and 3 runs after haha.

User Info: weakpig

weakpig
1 year ago#8
DarkZapper posted...
best way to go. start fresh. going femshepard this time. plan on two play throughs at least. hoping 360 dlc has a sale by then for 2 and 3 runs after haha.

From my understanding, u can choose to either start a new gameplay with new character after your first game completion, or play back the same character during your replay.

Which is better? Are you saying playing as a new character on subsequent play through is better?

DarkZapper
1 year ago#9
weakpig posted...
DarkZapper posted...

From my understanding, u can choose to either start a new gameplay with new character after your first game completion, or play back the same character during your replay.

Which is better? Are you saying playing as a new character on subsequent play through is better?

it depends on what you want. for me i played as male for all 3 games once transferring my save across. for game play choices and consecuences its best to use the same character and keep playing the different mass effects.

there are some bugs that dont allow choices to make a difference but thats just programming. many choices end up working and make a difference in next games.

i would recommend playing the same character after you find what class suits you. its more fun seeing old npcs and team mates later on. i never played female Shepard its different in attitude style and personality.

you can do new game plus too on the same game file after you beat the game. you can play on harder modes and get more skill points ect. your gear stays and $. its fun to be evil one time and good the next to see what you missed. theres tons of options and routes to do things.

play how you want the first time. after that you can re play the same file and do a *perfect* play through. plan it out a bit after you learn the game. go for this and that. things you learn from playing after. you cant get it all in one play through.

its a huge game and huge trilogy.

im just playing new because i never did the female route. i still have my old saves if i want to re play them new game plus. keep your saves and you cant go wrong. 2005 save files and so on. good ole days.

User Info: belisar6

belisar6
1 year ago#10
Not that it's a huge deal, but the first character you create will never be able to add a bonus power, even on a new game plus. Bonus powers can let you address a classes weakness (like adding Barrier to a squishy Engineer, or a biotic power to a somewhat boring Soldier), so I'd recommend starting a new character if you did a second playthrough.

Plus, it's nice to play it at least once with a male and female Shepard. I think I prefer Jennifer Hale's femshep, if I want to play as a renegade .
We were going full speed ahead... but facing backwards the whole time.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect
  3. Intimidated by the game's massive scale to play ME trilogy

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived