PLEASE READ before posting questions about New Game+ or Achievements

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect
  3. PLEASE READ before posting questions about New Game+ or Achievements

User Info: Finnegan

Finnegan
9 years ago#1
We constantly see identical topics on this board about some very common questions (Frequently Asked Questions, even!), and, as such, I am making a topic which I hope will be stickied to address the ones most often seen. I encourage others to add to this!

New Game + and Difficulty
After completing the game once on any difficulty, begin a new game and select Use Existing ID.

You begin a New Game+ at the same level as you ended your old game, with all your skills set as they were. Your allies will need to have their skills reset, but you cannot change Shepherd's. Furthermore, you retain all your items, and the ones equipped on Shepherd actually get duplicated. You may wish to unequip your allies' Bio-amps and omni-tools, however, as some people have reported that these are NOT retained.

To change the difficulty on a New Game+, go into the in-game options menu after starting the new game and set it to whatever new difficulty you like. Hardcore opens after completing your first game, and Insanity opens after completing a game on Hardcore. Even if it says "This difficulty must be unlocked", you can select it anyway; the game is simply informing you that these difficulties are not default options.

Skill Mastery Achievements
Shepherd must use these skills 75 times; having your squadmates use the abilities DOES NOT COUNT. Most can simply be spammed repeatedly, though a few, like AI Hacking, must actually be used on an enemy.

Completionist Achievement
You need to complete over 75% of the game. This includes the main quest AND side quest assignments, of which there are 68 available in any given playthrough. Quests that give more XP seem to be weighted more than those which give less, but doing around 50 sidequests should be more than sufficient.

Here is a handy checklist: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Assignments

The DLC "Bring Down the Sky" counts towards this achievement.

Ally Achievements
You need to have the ally in question with you through 75% of the game, just as in the Completionist Achievement discussed above. This means that you can get the achievement for Ashley and Kaiden at the same time as the Completionist Achievement if you keep them with you for the entire game. All of the other characters will get it that much later, depending on when you brought them into your group.

Please keep in mind that, if you do too many of the game's quests before recruiting and beginning to use a character, this can make it impossible to get the achievement. Liara's is thus the most difficult to get, as so much of the game is open to you before you find her. As such, if you are attempting to get the Asari Ally achievement, do no sidequests at all and go directly from the Citadel to Dr. T'Soni's Dig Site.

Time spent with an Ally does NOT carry over from game to game; you need to take them through 75% of the game in one playthrough.

As above, the DLC "Bring Down the Sky" counts towards these achievements.

Finally, if you are diligent about doing sidequests when they become available, all of the Ally Achievements, even Liara's, can be earned before going to the fourth post-Citadel plot-world.

I hope this may have addressed some common questions new players might have. For more detailed questions, I also recommend A Purple Cow's answered questions topic, available here:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=930279&topic=43534852
QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES

User Info: DubVeeYou

DubVeeYou
9 years ago#2
Sticky requested
If you're not a narrow minded D-bag who can't look past genre to see a good song, agree with me.

User Info: pj44055

pj44055
9 years ago#3
Sticky requested
Wii FC: 3351 9107 3724 8137 Name: PJ
XBox LIVE Gamertag: Vash8806

User Info: doctajones11

doctajones11
9 years ago#4
Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Sticky requested.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws.
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

User Info: GaMiNg eLiTe

GaMiNg eLiTe
9 years ago#5
Most can simply be spammed repeatedly, though a few, like AI Hacking, must actually be used on an enemy.

Why not just post which ones require an enemy? After all, that's probably the most repeated question on this board.
In the modern world, "common sense" is an oxymoron.

User Info: Finnegan

Finnegan
9 years ago#6
Because AI Hacking is the only one I know of for certain. :)

If you all know of any abilities other than AI Hacking that definitely need a target, please post!

As of now, I'm sure that Overload, Sabotage, Damping, Lift, Throw, Warp, and Singularity do NOT require targets and can simply be spammed. Barrier technically requires Shepherd as a target, but that means that you can spam Barrier as well.

AI Hacking definitely DOES require a target (a non-hacked target, to be specific; it doesn't count if you try to hack an already hacked enemy).

I am not sure about Stasis or Neural Shock. These both seemed to require targets in my experience, but I have heard otherwise. If you know definitively that these do or do not require targets, please post it here!
QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES

User Info: khrulez

khrulez
9 years ago#7
Sticky requested
Actually...you can think of Pong as a dirty game...I mean the ultimate goal is to get the ball in between.... ~Zako_Soldier

User Info: doctajones11

doctajones11
9 years ago#8
Neural shock does require a target, but can be used on the Mako. Stasis I am not entirely sure of. However, as I posted previously you do not want to unlock Paramour using the Mako. It burns.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws.
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

User Info: KronicTHC4

KronicTHC4
9 years ago#9
Stasis does requie a target, heowever you can use it on doors or probably the mako

User Info: ultradude2345

ultradude2345
9 years ago#10
if i don't have bring down the sky is it impossible to get the ally and completion achievements since it's a big quest?
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect
  3. PLEASE READ before posting questions about New Game+ or Achievements

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.