• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Need advice for my team, what to change (main game not finished yet)

User Info: demonguardian

demonguardian
2 years ago#11
Don't worry too much about stuff you don't understand right now, it'll either be explained when you get to it or you'll learn it by experience. For magichange, though, you'll have to complete the main game first and play the other storyline.

The "utility chars" are just that, they are supposed to fill a certain role and not much else, so you don't need to invest much time on them. Even a lv 1, good-for-nothing, has a value (and sometimes, you want them to be weak). For example, it's quite hard to raise the bonus gauge to the max without long geo chains, which is not always available. Due to how the game works, if you do a long combo and then finish the enemy off, you'll be rewarded with a lot of points for the "effort" it took to take down that enemy. Kunoichi's evility is to sometimes attack twice when low in health (thus the weights), allowing for big combos, and equiping her with weak bows (along with being low leveled, low weapon mastery, etc) guarantee that she won't finish the enemy off before you want to. Another simpler example are Heavy Knights, who have the highest throwing range (and this isn't something you can make your character do, it doesn't improve with levels, equips and such), so it's useful to have multiples for some maps and the item world in general, when the gate is far away. ZekuMusashi mentioned CoO5, in which you need at least 2 characters who can throw/pass 6 squares ahead, otherwise it's unbeatable.

Reincarnation is a mechanic that allows you to reset your character to level 1, starting off with better base stats, so when you get back to your original levels, you'll have higher stats. It's also something you do when you want to change or upgrade classes to their next tiers. The gain in stats isn't that great, the effects of equipment, levels and weapon mastery are much more important statwise than the base stats you started with.

Resistance affecting magic damage (only fire, wind and ice spells and their stronger forms, it doesn't apply to skills) is something rare in disgaea games. From what I've heard, this is the only one that does it, maybe along with another one.

Ronin is the female samurai, which was exclusive to the PSP version (and now on PC). You unlock the (male) samurai by having lv 5 weapon mastery in swords.

Celestial host (aka Angel), Death Saber, and Entei are unlockable in the other storyline (again, not present in the vanilla version, reason why it's not on the PS2 FAQs), same as with magichange.

User Info: ZekuMusashi

ZekuMusashi
2 years ago#12
Ryuukestu posted...
I didn't understand the purpose of the "utility characters".

Well, sometimes you might want to e.g. to throw someone 6 panels far.
Why dedicate a slot in your main party for that eventuality
if you can just have a few level 1 doods around instead?

You can create I believe up to 200 characters
(even if you can only use 10 at a time),
so there's plenty of space for utility.

Ryuukestu posted...
What about reincarnation and resistance.

When you reincarnate someone, their elemental resistance gets reshufffled
(with only certain Classes having set values for one or even in some cases all elements).

Ryuukestu posted...
And do you think it is better to reincarnate characters that I already have
to give them a new job or to create the new character with the mana my actual team has ?

If otherwise you'd delete / shelve the character, sure, reincarnate them.
Especially if, like I said, you'd transfer over useful stuff.

Ryuukestu posted...
What do you mean by female samurai

Ah right, that's a bonus Class on PSP if you have a Disgaea 1 file on there I believe.
Dunno how you get her in the PC version. *shrug*

Ryuukestu posted...
I don't find celestial host in the class FAQ

Well, you ARE on the wrong board :P

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/194970-disgaea-2-pc

You should try the PC version's FAQs ... oh wait, there aren't any. Hm.

Well, the PSP FAQs then, I guess?

https://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/955515-disgaea-2-dark-hero-days/faqs

... ehh, they're mostly just copies from the PS2 section, but at least
the topmost FAQ has entries for Magichange and "new units data" so that'll have to do.
Dream, not of what you are, but of what you want to be - The Lotus, Warframe

User Info: Malphirhalith

Malphirhalith
2 years ago#13
Thank you very much to you all for all the explanations. It seems to be a little clearer. I'll try to get as much characters you recommended me.

I was wondering about reincarnation if it wasn't wrong to reincarnate a spellcaster into a ninja for example? Is everything possible or is there something I shouldn't do? When reincarnate characters, I don't need court approval and my character seems to have higher stats than if it was created anew

So reincarnation seems the best way ?

ZekuMusashi
2 years ago#14
Ryuukestu posted...
I was wondering about reincarnation if it wasn't wrong to reincarnate a spellcaster into a ninja for example?

Sure, you can do that, and you'll even get some neat bonus RES / SP on your Ninja
(I'm just gonna assume we're talking about a Mage / Skull here),
but on the other hand, you won't get as much extra in HP / ATK / DEF as if you'd used,
say, a Male Fighter, plus of course any Staff / Spell Mastery (also INT) is going to be wasted
(unless for some weird / fun reason you simply want to make a caster Ninja, heh).

demonguardian posted...
A Rifle Demon is a good monster to magichange2, but it's quite bad for regular magichange.
It turns into a gun, but its HIT aptitude is terrible.

Yeah they're pretty bad out of the gate but with their generally high stats and 130% ATK,
I put the majority of Reincarnation points into HIT and they turned out just fine for gunnery. *shrug*

Actually, I forget (because it's been ~a while since I actually played this lol),
how / when do Aptitudes factor into Magichange? Wasn't it just naked stats?

User Info: demonguardian

demonguardian
2 years ago#15
ZekuMusashi posted...
Actually, I forget (because it's been ~a while since I actually played this lol),
how / when do Aptitudes factor into Magichange? Wasn't it just naked stats?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just the naked stats (well, 30~80% of them, depending on lovers IIRC), I just mentioned aptitudes because chars with high/low aptitude in a stat tend to have a high/low stat on that as well, at least comparatively. It's not so strict as "unworkable", but you do need to go out of your way with reincarnation and such to make it better.

Malphirhalith
2 years ago#16
Hye ZekuMusashi and demonguardian !! So it's ok I'll reincarnate them. I don't mind wasting stuff since I'll put them back to level 40 by grinding level 9-2 (so I'll have a lot spare money). I'll do this way

Adell (fist) ==> not play with him anymore
Rozalin (gun) ==> not play with her anymore
Yukimaru (kunoichi) ==> not play with her anymore
Etna (axe) ==> not play with her anymore
Tink ==> not play with him anymore

Healer ==> I don't know if I should reincarnate this one ??
Fighter, male ==> keep him but give him an axe
Red skull ==> rune knight
Green mage ==> kept for celestial host later
Blue skull ==> kunoichi
Female Samurai ==> in fact I had one but it's call Sonin class ?

It let me to create:
Ninja
Male Samurai
Beastmaster
Thief

Should I create them anew? I don't think reincarnating my healer would be a good choice, except maybe for the thief that may need int? What do you think about it?

ZekuMusashi
2 years ago#17
Ryuukestu posted...
Female Samurai ==> in fact I had one but it's call Sonin class ?

Ronin is the first tier of the (male) Samurai Class,
for Lady Samurai that should be Exorcist.

A quick Googlin' makes it seem like Lady Samurai should be unlocked right away, though.
(You might need to pass a Bill in the Dark Assembly?)

Ryuukestu posted...
I don't think reincarnating my healer would be a good choice, except maybe for the thief that may need int?

Thieves don't need INT, but any other Reincarnation bonus stats would be welcome methinks
as they're a bit less endowed overall in exchange for the whole high accuracy steals / debuffs deal.

Or, maybe slap some RES / SP on your Samurai as they're somewhat sorely lacking those.

If you can make a Lady Samurai (and want to give her a Bow),
keeping some of the Healer's Bow Mastery / Skill EXP also wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Malphirhalith
2 years ago#18
Yes you're right i'm sorry, she's an exorcist right now

So you think it could be great to reincarnate the healer into a thief as I already have the female samurai?

Is a geomancer a good choice as last party member to have heal in the first time?

ZekuMusashi
2 years ago#19
Ryuukestu posted...
Is a geomancer a good choice as last party member to have heal in the first time?

Eh, Geos are neat for their unique abilities but given you've got 3 casters already,
you could just give those a Healer Pupil each (BTW yay bonus stats from the Pupil),
plus Geo Pupils for e.g. Mega Star (yay) and so you can spam Geo / Bonus Change.
[Geomancers only get heals up to Giga, you do need Healers for the full support suite.]

Ryuukestu posted...
So you think it could be great to reincarnate the healer into a thief as I already have the female samurai?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

:P

Malphirhalith
2 years ago#20
Haha :p Sorry I don't want to make a mistake :p

I may not have understood, but I'm going to reincarnate my caster (skull and mage) into other classes.

Do I need a class with healing spells or not? So should I keep my healer and give her a staff. Should I reincarnate her in thief as we said? Or is there another option?
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Need advice for my team, what to change (main game not finished yet)
  • Topic Archived