• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Goku61394

Goku61394
2 years ago#1
How is this game? I've played d4 and disgaea d2. If I enjoyed those will I enjoy this? And how long is this game?
3DS FC 0061-3511-8018 Y IGN: Calem Safari Flying: Hawlucha, Hoothoot, PIdgey

User Info: demonguardian

demonguardian
2 years ago#2
Hard to say with just that. What exactly did you enjoy in Disgaea 4 and D2? As you might expect, gameplay will be a downgrade (still fun IMO), and the story is only decent. Also, do you have a PSP? Dark Hero Days came after Disgaea 3, so it included some of the features that the original didn't have (magichange/magichange 2, a couple of "new" classes/characters, peta spells and new ultimate skills for all weapons, among others).

Anything specific that you need to know? For example, perfecting items is a pain in DHD, but absolute hell in the original. In both versions, you don't have statisticians (replaced with the Felonies system, which are very annoying to farm), so grinding for levels takes longer (not a big deal in the main game, but a hindrance in the postgame).

IIRC, my first regular playthough of the game took ~35 hours, but I don't remember how much time I spent grinding, exploring and doing other stuff in general, so take it as a grain of salt. Again, that's just my first playthrough, my file has over 300 hours registered (not counting the time wasted from resets due to perfecting items).

Personally, I greatly enjoyed this game, but I'm sure my experience would be different had I played the newer games first. If you're playing for the gameplay, I'd say skip it. If you want to see the story, I think it's worth a shot (didn't disliked it, but it wasn't extraordinary). Either way, I'd check some videos on youtube to get familliarized with the game a little and see if it's really worth it (unless you really like first-handed experience or don't want to get some spoilers).

User Info: TwistedDarkKane

TwistedDarkKane
2 years ago#3
Its the main characters here less annoying than Lahart was in the first game( at least appearance wise, i'm liking this Adell guy and that other girl way more)?
And i heard ninja pirates wrecks your party anytime they appear...

Note: I'm still didn't get that game though, but i'm thinking...

demonguardian
2 years ago#4
Depends on what you consider annoying, I guess... I've never considered Laharl to be "annoying" per se. His character is so over-the-top and obnoxious, but he does it in a comical way (most of the time, anyway). Adell is more of a "nice guy", fighting for his family & friends and all that. His character is more bland, IMO. I do like Rozalin, but it I had to choose between her and Etna, it's definitely Etna. I don't really care about Flonne (her high pitched voice still cringes me sometimes).

And this is the first time I hear about people having trouble with ninja pirates specifically. The Ninja's ability is annoying, but it's not that bad. Anything that's not considered a boss (or in an Invincibility panel) can be cheesed using Sleep+Poison combo from Thieves and Shinobis.

TwistedDarkKane
2 years ago#5
Allright thankz..
II'l try to decide later, if ii'l get this or the first Prince of Persia.
Sure, they completely diferent, but they all good for me , so its tricky to choose.....
Maybe ii'l end picking both, who knows.....

User Info: genestealer

genestealer
2 years ago#6
demonguardian posted...
Anything that's not considered a boss (or in an Invincibility panel) can be cheesed using Sleep+Poison combo from Thieves and Shinobis.
Unless it's a marionette or wood golem, huhuhuhu... well, with wood golem you still can to some extent, but red pirates are freaking dangerous before you really start powering up your characters.

By the way, while I don't exactly play Disgaea for the story, I have to say I find the writing in this game a lot more interesting than the first. However, I can understand why people prefer the story of the first, it's literally Heaven vs. Hell with you being on Hell's side, which is a pretty interesting premise. The events of this game seem kind of unimportant in comparison, even after you start seeing the deeper significance of things.

TwistedDarkKane
2 years ago#7
LOL i saw a pic of this game in the internet of the entire team , like, stacked on top of each other and its formed a really long tower of people LOL.
What the heck this serves for anyway?

demonguardian
2 years ago#8
genestealer posted...
demonguardian posted...
Anything that's not considered a boss (or in an Invincibility panel) can be cheesed using Sleep+Poison combo from Thieves and Shinobis.

Unless it's a marionette or wood golem (...)

Oh yeah, I forgot about those, thanks for the reminder.

(...) I can understand why people prefer the story of the first, it's literally Heaven vs. Hell with you being on Hell's side, which is a pretty interesting premise. The events of this game seem kind of unimportant in comparison, even after you start seeing the deeper significance of things.

I can't agree more. The other part is that, personally, I find the characters from the first game more interesting in general. Then again, there were pretty forgettable ones, like Hoggmeiser and Maderas.

TwistedDarkKane posted...
LOL i saw a pic of this game in the internet of the entire team , like, stacked on top of each other and its formed a really long tower of people LOL.
What the heck this serves for anyway?

It's a mechanic present in all disgaea games. You make a tower of people and throw them around. It's a way to reach places faster (or reach places inaccessible otherwise, like over pits and such). There's also Tower Attacks, which are quite amusing, if not just silly (especially on the later games), but don't have much use other than leveling very weak allies, I guess.

Speaking of which, making a tower can also be used defensively, whether by protecting a weak ally by carrying them and taking the blows in their stead, or carrying the enemy and making it waste a turn (usually sacrificing the one below).

There are other mechanics/exploits involving making towers with people, but they are less relevant.
(message deleted)
  • Topic Archived