• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Obtaining a Legendary: Story vs. Item World

User Info: bsperan

bsperan
3 years ago#1
SUMMARY

Players should not expect to reload story maps in Disgaea 2, looking for a certain item to be rare or legendary, with the same probability one could find them in Disgaea 1. Yes, the method does work. But I think it's a huge waste of time. It would be much more fruitful to look for a rare or legendary in the Item World and/or keep an eye on the Bonus Lists.

DETAILS

I remember back when I played Disgaea 1 when, rarely, I tried reloading a story map over and over again until I the boss had a rare or legendary version of a certain item. I sometimes did this if it was something very rare and valuable, like a Testament. It took a lot of reloads, but I did get a couple of nice items that way.

More recently, I tried this trick with Disgaea 2. According to my estimates:

* There are 256 possible rarities, ranging from 0 to 255.
* Legendary means rarity 0 through 7 (8 possibilities out of 256).
* 256 / 8 = 32 | Thus, there should (in theory) be a 1 in 32 chance for a given item to be legendary.
* Rare means rarity 8 through 31 (or 24 possibilities). 256 / 24 = 10.67 | Thus, about 1 in 11 should be rare (in theory). Rare or legendary means rarity 0 through 31 (or 32 possibilities). 256 / 32 = 8 | Thus, about 1 in 8 should be either rare or legendary (in THEORY).

However, in my experience, the occurrence of rare and especially legendary items is much, much less. So, with my observations, I have to conclude that, instead of using a straight roll of the virtual dice, Disgaea 2 likely weights their rarity formula to make rare and legendary rarer than one might expect.

Example: I tried to get a legendary Dark Rosary in Episode 3-3, "Corpse Garden," on my first play through. I kept track of my attempts to pass the time. I used a pencil and made marks in sets of 5. After counting well over 120 attempts (I forget the exact amount now), I gave up in frustration. I saw several rare Dark Rosary, but never legendary.

Granted, the example above could have just been the virtual dice rolling really, really badly. It happens. But, I have tried for other legendary items on other story maps and I was equally frustrated.

That said, late in my game after a bit of leveling I decided to try the final story map just to see how much stronger my characters became and how easy the boss would be. I did not plan to finish the game, yet. After the map loaded, I noticed that he was equipped with a legendary Arcadia - like I had wanted and repeatedly tried to get on earlier attempts!

(Sadly, I accidentally got the "worst" ending and had to face the post-boss boss, who I was not prepared to fight. I did not realize that allies dying through the process of trying to capture a monster will count towards ally kills! I was shocked by this!)

User Info: TheEvilCubi

TheEvilCubi
3 years ago#2
Toobis?
CAPS LOCK MARCH

User Info: demonguardian

demonguardian
3 years ago#3
Yeah, some of us had figured that as well. I believe ulillillia briefly mentioned it in one of his videos.

About the legendary Arcadia, I believe most of us passed through something similar. Farming for something for a long time and, upon giving up on it (or, alternatively, making a topic here about it), getting it immediately afterwards. The RNG God doesn't discriminate - it hates all of us equally.

User Info: aces4839

aces4839
3 years ago#4
You only get bad endings if Adell has felonies. No felonies = no problem. He can pass a bill to wipe his slate clean and still maintain the extra EXP boost.
I cannot add any new friends to PSN or get messages anytime now.
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Obtaining a Legendary: Story vs. Item World
  • Topic Archived