• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Code Breaker Warning: Felony cheats are misleading!

User Info: bsperan

bsperan
3 years ago#1
SUMMARY

Veteran players know that the game keeps track of two separate values for Felonies. One value is displayed on a character's portrait and maxes out at 99. The other value is hidden and maxes out at 300. A player can only try to keep track of the total (hidden) felonies or infer from the experience gained.

The "Felonies" cheats commonly found for the Code Breaker ONLY affects the felonies displayed on a character's portrait. It does not affect the hidden value at all!

Conclusion: These felony cheats may be useful to unlock certain endings, gaining a bonus to item sell value, getting a discount from shops, and gaining some increase in influence in the Dark Assembly. However, the experience boost is arguably the most important benefit of felonies. (Without the massive experience boost from felonies, leveling characters in Disgea 2 is much, much slower than leveling in Disgea 1!) So, these cheats are misleading and can make it difficult to keep track of the hidden felonies value.

MY EXPERIENCE & TESTING

I messed up the felonies on a few of my characters. And after confirming there was a Code Breaker code for Felonies, I decided to try that. Instead of the "99 Felonies" cheat, which calls for hex code FF, I wanted just 40 felonies. So, I used a hex calculator to convert 40 to hex value "28" and used that. The modified code seems to work as it does display 40 felonies on the character.

Playing around some more with felonies and felony cheats, I became aware that the felonies did not seem to make it much easier to level my characters.

So, I did some testing...

I tried the "99 Felonies" cheat on a fresh captured monster and compared the experience gained, before and after the cheat. There was no difference! I also tried the "Max Felonies" cheat. Again, there was no difference in experience gained.

Testing further, I tried the "Reincarnate to Atone for Sins" bill in the dark assembly on a character which I had applied the "99 Felonies" cheat on. I was hoping this would 'roll-over' the felonies and apply them properly. But, again, no difference.

Finally, I used hex code FE to apply 98 felonies on a character, then went inside a Subpoena for "High HP" (worth 2 felonies) and threw said character into a Court Gate. After exiting the Subpoena, I again compared the before and after experience with the same character saved from before I used the felonies cheat and the "High HP" Subpoena. There was a difference in EXP. However, using the formula on post #14 of the "Read Before You Post" thread, I saw that it was just under 2%, or what would be expected with just 2 felonies.

AFTERTHOUGHT

I suppose the "No Felonies" cheat might be useful to zero out a character's displayed felonies, allowing the player to keep track of each set of 99 as they aim for the max 300, if they are obtained legitimately through Subpoenas, Bailiffs, and Dark Courts. But then, the same can be accomplished with the "Reincarnate to Atone for Sins" option. Though, I suppose it may save the slight hassle of reincarnating characters as a lowly Prinny...
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Code Breaker Warning: Felony cheats are misleading!
  • Topic Archived