• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Wow, the map design is real crap *Spoilers*

User Info: DerakonD

DerakonD
11 years ago#21
Actually, Avalanche Wrong hasn't posted to this one in quite some time, and AngryWolf doesn't have a history that I've noticed of being whiny.

So, no gold star for you on your reading comprehension quiz.

User Info: MKBound

MKBound
11 years ago#22
Wasn't going for a star anyway :P
In progress: Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Tales of Radiant Mythology, Jeanne D'Arc, Brave Story

User Info: Seithri

Seithri
11 years ago#23
you guys do know that all you had to do was list one geo symbol and then toss it onto the scary field of doom and set it off right?

after its done there are no geo effects left on the map and all the enemies are almost dead
You've been playing Super Mario Sunshine haven't you? - Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid
Bleach: blade of fate: 081717627418

User Info: G_Spot_Finder

G_Spot_Finder
11 years ago#24
are you talking about the one with the ally damage everywhere or the enemy boost x 3 map?
I rise again

User Info: Lunaticccc

Lunaticccc
11 years ago#25
There's quite a few games with what I would consider good AI, actually. Off the top of my head --

Xcom, Tactics Ogre (LUCT), Galactic Civ2, Any SNK boss--ever, Far Cry (on high difficulty), most Total War games, Myth, some of the RoTK games, Battle of Westnoth, etc. Sure, they aren't anywhere near as good as a skilled player, but most can provide more then enough challenge to be interesting.

As I've said before, lifting is the big problem with Disgaea. Either let the enemies do it too, or take it out. It's too much of an advantage otherwise. That said, as far as maps in T-rpgs go the ones in Disgaea are above average I think. Not as neat as TO: LUCT, but not as drab as the GBA FFA/TO, FFT (PSX), and other N1games' maps either.

User Info: Seithri

Seithri
11 years ago#26
i think makai kingdom had the best map system of all the games they made... though the geo symbols DO make it interesting
You've been playing Super Mario Sunshine haven't you? - Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid
Bleach: blade of fate: 081717627418

User Info: DuranDD

DuranDD
11 years ago#27
And what if the AI did move before you were in range? Then they would just come at you already bunches up for nice AoE attacks and BAM you win. Oh joy.

Given how this game is set up, how would you propose the AI be good?

Where did I say that the AI will that dumb? Just because they attack you doesn't mean they will bunch up for an AoE attack.
The AI in Disgaea 1 was pretty good.

I doubt you ever played Vandal Hearts II. On Hard Mode ALL enemy units will attack you from the beginning, that includes bosses. Enemies were around the same strengths as you are except bosses who had better equipment and more HP. For the first time it's a good challenge.
The AI is good, but predictable.

My point stil is that Geo Panels are only annoying and don't add any strategy. In Disgaea 1 they were interesting, in Disgaea 2 they were used in way too maps.
Game Info - FAQs and Guides - Cheat Codes & Secrets - Game Saves - Reviews - Check Prices

User Info: G_Spot_Finder

G_Spot_Finder
11 years ago#28
Are you forgetting that the very things that make maps annoying in slight manners are the very same thing that allow everyone to level to 9999 A LOT quicker than if they weren't there? Double the time it took you at least, if not quadruple.

And besides, if the enemy did not rush toward you, then they'd just wait for you to come to them...like they do. It's either they come toward you or you toward them, and if they come toward you, well...that just makes them easier to kill. Besides, the computer has no idea of what you are planning, so like I said, smart AI is laughable in a game with this set up. At least this game makes moving around mandatory, rather than in most other SRPGs where you just sit and let them come to you in nice, targetable packages.

I haven't played VH2, but I did play the first, which IMO was awsome incarnate. Though by today's standards, it's plain.
I rise again

User Info: DuranDD

DuranDD
11 years ago#29
I never liked the way you have to level up in this game. Doing the stage over and over is so boring. They could find a different sollution to level up.

A good AI doesn't use the same strategy in every battle. In D1 you had enemies who guarded a spot, not even moving one square. Other battles the enemy was defensive, while in others they came to you. Or the entire field rushed on you.

For example, the battle against Vulcanus (SP?) was really epic, if you only fought only the story battles, thus not extra leveling or money gathering.

Besides that the AI doesn't have to be offensive. Another problem is that the enemy is usually spread out over the map. They could also let you come to them, but when you're in range, like 10 enemies will surround your team.

Everything is better than an AI who refuses to fight back.
Game Info - FAQs and Guides - Cheat Codes & Secrets - Game Saves - Reviews - Check Prices

User Info: DerakonD

DerakonD
11 years ago#30
"I never liked the way you have to level up in this game. Doing the stage over and over is so boring. They could find a different sollution to level up."

Um, yeah, they [i]have[/i]. It's called the Item World. I've only used CoO4 to get newly-reincarnated units up to level 80 or so (which takes two-three passes), and have otherwise exclusively played the Item World of the highest-ranked item I can handle. Yes, it's a lot slower than grinding, but it's also actually fun, unlike grinding. Play the game to play the game, not to achieve some goal as efficiently as possible, and you'll have a lot more fun. Trust me on this.
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Wow, the map design is real crap *Spoilers*
  • Topic Archived