• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Wow, the map design is real crap *Spoilers*

User Info: avalanche_wong

avalanche_wong
11 years ago#1
Okay, I already realized that the map design was far worse than in 1 with all the narrow wall/No Entry maps but it was still bearable (even if annoying).
Hell, I even put up with the frequent use of spell users or other ranged attacks on places you couldn't reach without spending a few tturns to get there or on invincibility panels so you first had to get rid of the invicibility effect.

But I just tried the first map in Zenon's Castle and it was even more ridiculous than that.
This time the map designer really went overboard with the Geo effects.

20% Ally damage + No Throwing on a map that is guarded by Heavy Knights so that you first have to take them out to get to the Geo Panels.
Not that this makes a difference because due to the entire ****ing map being cover in Geo panels, the combo from destroying only one (the No Throwing Symbol was at the other end of the map, guarded by Destroyers so you couldn't get there before killing nearly all enemiey anyway) resulted in a Chain doing well over 1000 damage.

So, in short you are forced to finish the entire map with Ally Damage 20% even if the enemies have much higher lvl and much better skills than your characters.
Even if you survive the Enemy attacks, you'll get killed by the Ally Damage effect, even if you heal everyone to full HP at the start of each round.
And no, I was not underlvled, I not no trouble whatsoever with any other map so far, if at all, I was slightly overpowered.

Geo effects were well used in 1, giving you advantages at time or forcing you to use your brain at other times but there was only a single map where you were really forced to endure bad effects until taking out most of the enemies (the Colisseum but taking out enemies was more of a side effect because it just took so long to take out the No Entry Symbol).
However in 2 you are forced to endure irritating effects all the time, No Entry panels everywhere, every 3rd map has a spellcaster or something on an invincibility panel and you are forced to do entire maps with enemy boost on.
It sucks the entire fun out of the gameplay because unlike in 1, you don't have to use your head anymore to get rid of the effects, you simply have to grind long enough to be able to bear them.
Not to mention it's ****ing aggrevating that you have to endure them all the time and always have to spend so long to get rid of the effects.

Sorry but the crappy map design sucked the last fun out of the already inferior gameplay.
Seriously, I don't know what people that say 2 has better gameplay than 1 smoked, but it certainly can be anything good.
I'm sure that even if we had written 1,000 text messages back and forth, our hearts probably wouldn't have moved even 1 centimeter closer.

User Info: caulfield78

caulfield78
11 years ago#2
"But I just tried the first map in Zenon's Castle and it was even more ridiculous than that.
This time the map designer really went overboard with the Geo effects."

YES! Total agreement from the Caulfield camp. I absolutely HATED the last set of maps in the main story. The designers went insane with geo effects and the crystal pillars the characters had to navigate were all PURPOSELY set at awkward angles to view from the camera perspective. I really dislike that they resorted to this in order to provide some sort of additional challenge to the last stages of the plot.

avalanche_wong
11 years ago#3
Ya, I mean D1 worked very well and had just as challenging maps but not nearly as many annoying Geo Effects.
What's the worst isn't even the use of them, it's that you cannot get rid of them.
I really enjoyed using my brain to get rid of bad geo effects or rearrange panels/enemies so the ones affected where the enemies and not my characters in D1 but that's pretty much impossible in most D2 maps.
Now Geo Effects are reduced to just another bother instead of a real gameplay element.
I'm sure that even if we had written 1,000 text messages back and forth, our hearts probably wouldn't have moved even 1 centimeter closer.

User Info: Coryney

Coryney
11 years ago#4
avalanche wong, y dont u do EVERYONE a favor and stop play D2 right now because the amount of whining that is going to be coming from you once you reach the Dark World is going to drive everyone insane ................ If you dont like the game then play something else ....................

User Info: DuranDD

DuranDD
11 years ago#5
In my opinion Geo Effects suck. They make the map look stupid with their colors. I fully agree with AW here. In D2 just too many maps have annoying Geo Panels. But there were also quite some that made battles more fun.
Game Info - FAQs and Guides - Cheat Codes & Secrets - Game Saves - Reviews - Check Prices

avalanche_wong
11 years ago#6
Ya, the visuals are really bad because due to the glowing and opacity effects, you can barely see the move area of your charatcers anymore.

User Info: HenryEX

HenryEX
11 years ago#7
Ya, the visuals are really bad because due to the glowing and opacity effects, you can barely see the move area of your charatcers anymore.

Pressing [Select] gets rid of that.
...i beLIEve...

User Info: DerakonD

DerakonD
11 years ago#8
For once, I have to agree with Coryney here. What do you think you're going to accomplish by whining here? It's not like we can magically change the graphics or maps on your copy of the game. Grow a spine and do something about your problems instead of just complaining.

User Info: Coryney

Coryney
11 years ago#9
DerakonD, u usually dont agree with me ??? Thats nice to know ........... :P lol

User Info: G_Spot_Finder

G_Spot_Finder
11 years ago#10
Umm...on that map that the OP is talking about...

Send someone out to throw the male fighter by a warp panel. Send someone on that warp panel. End turn.

Put the thrower back in the base, and notice that the person that you pu ton that warp panel should now be on the space in front of another enemy and right behind them is the ally damage 20% geo. Use a special skill right up in front of you to kill the enemy. You may want to heal by now, if not, rush ahead and destroy the geo. Beware tho that the enemy gunner will shoot you, so make sure your character has about 1000 HP by the time you destroy it.

That takes care of that.

The map that made me cringe was the next map (i think) where the entire field was ENEMY BOOST X3 and you had to wade through everyone to get to it. Thank god for Taro and Chocolate Milk.
I rise again
  1. Boards
  2. Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  3. Wow, the map design is real crap *Spoilers*
  • Topic Archived