• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
  3. Need help on Ultimate mode? This knowledge may be of great service...

User Info: cosmictrombones

cosmictrombones
10 years ago#1
Anyone who has played this game and come to the FAQs section to figure out how to pass certain parts knows that, unfortunately, it is lacking in helpful advice. I found pretty much every chest and gold bracelet on my own. While I don't have the time to write up a full FAQ on strategy and item locations, as well as important sack imp/dark wizard spots, I did discover something that I did not come across elsewhere that may be of great help on Ultimate mode. Simply put, if you know about the 30 extra lives breeds unlimited lives, then achieving this alone will be of great help to you on Ultimate mode play-through. Here's how I did it:

On Ultimate mode, if you die you start at the beginning of the level. You've probably read this everywhere. What I didn't know was you also have to pick up anything you might have acquired. This can be a nuisance but is also valuable in case you pick up every good armor by accident the first time you play a stage and decide you probably should save a few for when you come back. The only constant as far as I can tell is you keep any weapon you pick up and your points. Knowing this one must find a stage where there are two extra lives. Thankfully, on stage 1-1, there are two extra lives. I believe there are other stages with two extras but it seems to me you need magic found later in the game to acquire both at the same time. Therefore it is more simple to just do it on the first stage. Assuming you get both, you will constantly go up one life each time as well as increase your point total, getting a few more lives that way too. It takes a little grinding but it's much better than fighting those 1,000 bonus point bird demons endlessly halfway through stage 2-1.

The first extra is around the gravestone right after the birds in the dead tree and you have to hit it on the left side. A little imp with a sack will pop up. When he fully materializes, hit him, and voila, instant extra and it's right at the beginning of the stage. Be sure to always get this one. The second extra is after you fight the mini-boss with the floating demon goat skull. It will spawn after you beat him. In between them there are a few 10,000 point bonus bags as well as those dark wizards that spawn if you hit certain areas, also worth 10,000 points if you kill them. It took me a little less than 1 hour to achieve 30 lives but I did die a few times before acquiring the second extra and would often lose armor stupidly and then kill a few ghosts until I had armor again, just to be safe. I also had a point total of about 1.1 million when I was done. I'm not sure how many extras I got from just my points but I would say at least 5. I believe you can get about 60,000 points just from bags and the dark wizards. When you get the second extra be sure to check the last two pots for a 500 point bag then fall in the pit and repeat!

So there you have it. Need unlimited lives to get through ultimate mode? Best way to probably do it. And it's not really cheating since they put it in the game. Now helping you get through stage 4? Good luck buddy! xD
  1. Boards
  2. Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
  3. Need help on Ultimate mode? This knowledge may be of great service...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A